Larry and his dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all you Aussie U2 fans! Maybe you could turn things around and import back the Australian Shepherd and call him an American Shepherd! Look for real photos on the web, the drawing just doesn't do them justice! They also quite often will have one amber eye and one blue eye...pretty cool.

:wave:Laney! Actually, the liner notes say "Missy and Errol Brown", which appears to be his last credit, before it moves on to Adam's thank-you's. One would assume that he would group the thanks to the dogs together, of course... but what a strange name for a dog, Errol Brown!! :lol:

:lmao: I was close though :lol:

:wink:

I do remember that Larry originally had JJ the Lab and also Missy. I don't know how old "Missy" would be. trying to figure out if the liner notes "Missy and Erroll Brown" are people or dogs. Maybe Larry gave them the "Brown" part as a fake last name to keep their identities secret. It would be in keeping with his private personality! what do you all think? Dogs or people?

I think it's probably a person that got put at the end of the list right after Missy. But who knows? Maybe one of Larry's dogs has a last name!

Hi all you Aussie U2 fans! Maybe you could turn things around and import back the Australian Shepherd and call him an American Shepherd! Look for real photos on the web, the drawing just doesn't do them justice! They also quite often will have one amber eye and one blue eye...pretty cool.

The modern Australian shepherd was actually developed and bred exclusively in the United States, especially the conformation lines which are now what people think of when they hear "Australian Shepherd". The people who developed the breed were of Australian descent but the breed was not developed in Spain. The original dogs might have been a combination of Spanish dogs in the west and British dogs (border collies and rough collies) in the east, but the current conformation lines are pretty exclusively American and the breed was developed in the western United States.

I would consider the Kelpie the true Australian dog. I LOVE Kelpies but they are very hard to find here in the USA.

"Blue Heelers" are Australian Cattle dogs, just a nickname for the blue variety.

An Australian shepherd? Whats that please? A kelpie? Im Australian and have never heard of an Australian shepherd.

Australian Shepherd (conformation lines)
train-australian-shepherd.jpg

Australian Kelpie
Kelpie-down.jpg

Australian Cattle Dog (aka "heeler" blue or red)
aussie_cat_dog.jpg

Australian Shepherd (conformation lines)
train-australian-shepherd.jpg

Australian Kelpie
Kelpie-down.jpg

Australian Cattle Dog (aka "heeler" blue or red)
aussie_cat_dog.jpg

Thanks Liesje. I think most of the Aussies know what a Kelpie and a Blue Heeler look like, its just this Australian Shepherd Im refusing to acknowledge. If it isnt Australian, dont call it that. :angry:

If it isnt Australian, dont call it that. :angry:

Yeah, never made sense to me either! There's several dog breeds that are named after placed other than where the breed was developed.

Labradors are from Newfoundland, Chinese Cresteds are not from China....

BUT German Shepherd dogs are most definitely from Germany! :)

At the time the dogs were made, they're from Germany :wink: Alsace is only been french territory since the end of WW1.

I disagree that Alsace has only been French territory since the end of WWI. Alsace has pinged back and forth between France and Germany since time immemorial.

You may well be correct with Alsace being part of Germany when Alsations were first bred. I do not know the answer to that question and accept your response.

No, they're not, theyre from Alsace, France. lol Sorry. Couldnt resist. I'm aware of the border history of Alsace.

No, they were/are referred to as Alsatians by the British, after the World Wars (didn't want to refer to anything as "German"). The breed was developed by Captain Max von Stephanitz. Like any breed, the founding dogs may have origins from other countries, but that's not where the breed was developed and standardized. GSDs are a very new breed, Capt. Max purchased a dog in Germany in 1899 and that is the breed's founding dog, Horand von Grafrath. The German dog society had in mind what it was looking for in their breed, and Horand was selected as the founding dog. Thus the breed was developed and standardized in Germany.
Stephanitz.jpg

I just came in here to see why GG was posting in a Larry thread :wink: Interesting discussion!

Cause I like dogs :wink:

I could make a lame joke, but since we're in PLEBA I won't.

also, it's indeed true that the Alsace has been in both hands a lot :hmm: I'm not entirely sure about when it was german and when it was french, all I know it's french since ww1... but I assume the German Shepherd is a pretty old race already, and otherwise it'd have been called french shepherd :lol:

ah, Lies already posted :) interesting story!

also, it's indeed true that the Alsace has been in both hands a lot :hmm: I'm not entirely sure about when it was german and when it was french, all I know it's french since ww1... but I assume the German Shepherd is a pretty old race already, and otherwise it'd have been called french shepherd :lol:

It's actually one of the newest breeds.

With dog breeds though, typically you focused on who developed them, where, and why. Of course, the founding dogs have origins ALL over the world, but that does not make the dog worthy of being named after THAT place. In the case of GSDs, they were selected, bred, and standardized in Germany by a German society, for the purpose of herding and working on German terrain. Referring to them as Alsatians only happened after the world wars, and not because of where founding dogs may have been from or what borders changed, but because Britain and other Alied countries did not want to use the word "German" and be associated with Nazi Germany.

Similar is true of Australian Shepherds. While the founding dogs have roots in Spain, France, Australia, and Britain, the breed was developed by ranchers in the western United States, for doing work on that specific terrain. So, it's incorrect to say the breed "originated" in Australia. Those founding dogs would not meet the breed standard.

There is a french shepherd, the Berger Picard (Picardy Shepherd). This this dog was designed and bred to work certain terrain in that region of France.

Enough dog lesson for today? :)

well I don't mind dog lessons! my favourites are Huskys tho :lol:

I know a few german shepherds and like them too, but since I've seen them around everywhere I assumed the breed was pretty old :hmm: interesting to see it's one of the younger breeds!

You're overdue for a poll there, Beli. The sillier the better!

(And why spooky?)

Spooky because you posted and then I posted exactly twelve hours later, to the minute! Look at the times of your first post and mine afterwards <----

Oops. Edited. Im a dork. Thats the actual time and we are 12 hours apart :facepalm:

Okay, now this is what's really spooky: I see my first post as being at 03:37 PM and your subsequent post at 04:56 PM.

Huh?:confused:

Edit: Just saw your edit, LOL.

Edit again: Why are you up so early?

Okay, now this is what's really spooky: I see my first post as being at 03:37 PM and your subsequent post at 04:56 PM.

Huh?:confused:

Edit: Just saw your edit, LOL.

Edit again: Why are you up so early?

Oh, I just got that. :lmao: :der:

I'm up because I've had two physically intense days and went to bed too early last night and woke up waaaay to early. :angry:

Oh, I just got that. :lmao: :der:

I'm up because I've had two physically intense days and went to bed too early last night and woke up waaaay to early. :angry:

OK, alright then.

Now, Beli, we need you to create a clever poll activity. That would be best for we the sadly dummified. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom