Freestylin' Friday: Quieter moments - The Edge w/Acoustic gtr.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems there were issues with the bridge coming up at the edge's, no pun intended. The Support Local Musicians is one way to tell the difference betweend the EA40 (older) Washburn and the EA20 (used during the Zoo tours).

While the both the EA40 and EA20's came with a piezo pickup in the bridge, Edge went a step further having the Lawrence soundhole pickup installed.

Piezo pickups alone, in an acoustic can sound a bit tinny and shrill. They don't pick up the body sound of the guitar. Hence, the soundhole pickup. You get more body to the sound.

Piezo's being thin in sound can be good to get definition but not a full sound.

Many acoustic electrics made today, certainly the more quality models, have a piezo in the bridge and another mic-type pickup inside the body. Taylor has a "blender" EQ system where you can use the piezo, the internal mic or blend in the sound of both.

Think of it as having a woofer and tweater, like a speaker (for highs and lows) and hence a blend of full spectrum of tones is available.

That said, some of the under saddle/bridge pickups but LR Baggs are far better than the piezo's of yesteryear. The LR Baggs systems are in the Pete Townshend model SJ200 (used on acoustic performances of "Stuck in a Moment...") and in the Goodall acoustic that Edge is seen playing on the acoustic version of "Sometimes You Can't Make It..." on the DVD included with the HTDAAB deluxe edition.

Thank you for explaning E_O, I've wondered about that for a long time :wave:

galleryedge.jpg

f007cfc5.jpg

Just a comment from the cheap seats... I very much enjoy your contribution of Edge eye candy and guitar geekdom. Thanks! :up:

This one also doesn't have an acoustic guitar but I figure the ladies will appreciate it.

And appreciated it is :wink:

Ok Charlie has taken a look at these photos and he says his guess on the Guild is a D-40. :nerd: (possibly a D-50 but it's hard to see the inlay on the headstock, if it's gold or mother of pearl :hmm: )

And appreciated it is :wink:

Ok Charlie has taken a look at these photos and he says his guess on the Guild is a D-40. :nerd: (possibly a D-50 but it's hard to see the inlay on the headstock, if it's gold or mother of pearl :hmm: )

Looks to be Mother Of Pearl. I think he's in the right ballpark (D-40 or D-50).

I still think it is the D-40 Ritchie Havens model.

Why? The D-40 has the pickguard under the soundhole. The D-40 Ritchie Haven's has a pickguard on BOTH sides of the soundhole. While black and matching the finish, it seems (to my eyes) that there is a double pickguard on the pictures guitar.

Hopefully Guild will answer back so we will know for 100% certain.

I'm gonna stay with my original assessment of D-40 Ritchie Havens model, due to the double pickguard.

In that, it is still a D-40, of sorts. So Charlie is on the right track. Good eye. And heck, he might be 100% correct.

Link to the Ritchie Haven's model. (Natural finish). Seems they no longer over it in black. Makes since as Edge is probably an older vintage model. (Just a guess)
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/23318-guild-d40-richie-havens-signature-natural-w-fishman.html

That's what it looked like to us too :) He's placing bets on D-40.

Bono_and_The_bd40.jpg

Bono_and_The_b9a0.jpg

Bono_and_The_ffaa.jpg

Bono_and_The_d6c6.jpg

BONOCOMET:

I was close, as the Ritchie Haven's model is basicially a D-40 but Charlie was MORE right as he stated that the black Guild was a D-40.

I heard back from Ed Treat (Guild) and he confirms it is indeed a D-40.

Now... is it Elvis Costello's, as they were there to record for the show. Is it a new toy of Edge's... :hmm::hmm::hmm:

BONOCOMET:

I was close, as the Ritchie Haven's model is basicially a D-40 but Charlie was MORE right as he stated that the black Guild was a D-40.

I heard back from Ed Treat (Guild) and he confirms it is indeed a D-40.

Now... is it Elvis Costello's, as they were there to record for the show. Is it a new toy of Edge's... :hmm::hmm::hmm:

:up: Awesome Edge-0 :dance: Thanks for looking into it. I'll tell Charlie :D

So have you ever played one of these? :hmm:

:up: Awesome Edge-0 :dance: Thanks for looking into it. I'll tell Charlie :D

So have you ever played one of these? :hmm:

I have not played a Guild D-40. I have played a Guild Jumbo, 12-string. Nice guitar.

Guild was bought by Fender a number of years ago. But back in the day, they were made well and were one of the top acoustic brands, particularly for their acoustic 12-string guitars.

Back
Top Bottom