Freestylin' Friday: A Man And His Guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeFest

Refugee
Since I am at work and I don't have access to my hard drive I can only post a couple.... Edge & his guitar :)

Edge-GuitarWorld.jpg

Edge-GuitarWorld2.jpg

That there is his 1975 Fender Telecaster Custom. I have a 2004 in all black. Nice guitar.

Edge used his at the 46664 show and in the Vertigo video... and on the BBC rooftop promo show... wish he'd use it more. Great guitar - in my humble view.

Edge-GuitarWorld.jpg

Edge-GuitarWorld2.jpg

1994 49th Anniversary Telecaster. (Used for Sunday Bloody Sunday" during the 'Elevation' and 'Vertigo' tours.)

40th_anniv_telecaster-1996-white-1.jpg

78113840_f1753bff5e.jpg

40th_anniv_telecaster-1996-white-2.jpg

78113892_1feed3e0fb.jpg

Great guitar but I am glad that he's using a Stratocaster for SBS again. And I wasn't as fond of them playing it in the lower key, as they did on the 'Elevation' and 'Vertigo' tours.

Per Dallas in the recent Music Radar interview...

This would be Edge's 1975 vintage, Fender Telecaster. Used primarily for "The Unforgettable Fire".

julio20-09-19.jpg

julio20-09-22.jpg

Although, judging from this last photo... it was used for 'something' during the European leg of Vertigo. (Maybe as backup to the blonde 1966 Tele that Edge used most night for Vertigo? Or perhaps a backup for SBS?)

Fender-Telecaster-197x-natual-ro-1.jpg

1966 Gibson SG. The Goal IS Soul, indeed. And that guitar has got some serious soul in my book.

I wish he's use that one a bit more. In 'It Might Get Loud', you see him using it a lot while working on the arrangement for "Get On Your Boots".

480060d7.jpg

Used for "Discotheque", "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" and "With Or Without You" during Popmart - Fernandes Decade Elite.

[with "Sustainer" pickup (tm)]

Edge had a sea foam green one and a burnt orange one.

971026r4-33.jpg

AdEdpop-1.jpg

The orange made a brief appearance at the Elevation dress rehearsal and a few of the 1st leg shows but seems to have been set aside since.

(Quite possibly another of the Hanover Quay flood 'victims')

edge08.jpg

"Night And Day". Edge with Bono's 1958 Gretsch Chet Atkins. Lovely guitar. Bono used it during Popmart for a bit... Seemed to favor the Cadillac Green Country Club and red sparkle Gibson ES 175 during Elevation... the Country Club going aside for the Irish Falson once he took delivery of the first batch from Gretsch.

Wonder where the Chet Atkins is now? Bono can certainly leave it at my house! I hope that it didn't fall victim to the HQ flood.

For the 'Elevation' tour, Edge went to a heavily modified Fernandes Native Pro.

munich16.jpg

Edge had the standard Fernandes Native Pro humbucker pickups replaced with single-coil-size Seymour Duncan "Hot Rail" humbuckers in the bridge and middle position with the single-coil-size Fernandes Sustainter (tm) pickup in the neck position. Putting in the smaller size pickups meant cutting a new pickguard to fit the smaller size of the pickups. The other big modification was to use the Fernandes "Decade" style neck instead of the stock "Native" neck.

The 'Native' neck has three tuners on the top side and three on the bottom, similar to a Gibson Les Paul. The 'Decade' style neck has all six tuners on the top, similar to a Stratocaster/Telecaster.

Strat-like in it's initial appearance, The Edge went to the Fernandes 'Retro Rocket' to play "With Or Without You" during the 'Vertigo' and U2: 360 tours.

Lovely jet black finish and grey marble pickguard.

fernandes-retrorocket-200x-black-1.jpg

84591463.jpg

Edge has gotten a second Fernandes 'Retro Rocket' to play "Ultra Violet (Light My Way) during the U2: 360 tour. Jet black finish and white pickguard.

13320-58697-size2.jpg

24808-66525-size2.jpg

Line 6 Variax 700 (digital modelling) acoustic. It can model various acoustic 6 and 12 string guitars as well as mandolin...

As Edge has said, he hardly uses it as intended!

For 'Vertigo' tour, Edge used 2. One in black (The Fly) one in silver sparkle (Love and Peace - sometimes The Fly)

The black Variax 700:
02vertigoguitar.jpg

1miamilast9.jpg

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-11-052.jpg

The silver sparkle Variax 700:
2005_06_10_01_dscn0131.jpg

2005_06_10_01_rscn0164.jpg

103222685_3c4fd029bb.jpg

:ohmy: You never cease to amaze me E_O!! Seriously you should sign up as Edge's guitar tech in case Dallas needs a vacay!!:)

Oh and then get me a backstage pass since I suggested this for you :D

:D.... I'd be more than happy to be the spare tech. But I still have TONS to learn. Especially about that rack and controllers for the effects.

Starring ME - as Dallas 2: Electric Boogaloo. :lol:

And if you are talking Edge Guitars, you have to go on about his use of the 1976 Gibson Explorer. He's a few of these. Dallas has finally talked him in to leaving the original at home - retired for studio use only.

edgeearlydays008.jpg

ER1049_U2_P.jpg

7c94b254.jpg

Explorer-1976-natural-orig-1.jpg

I have an original 1976 Gibson Ltd Ed Explorer just like Edges. It is my pride and joy of my collection.

Explorer-1976-natural-orig-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom