Eve's new movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen pictures of both girls smiling. What does all of that have to do with their character or personality? I hardly ever smile on pictures because I don't like it and I cannot stand it if people are constantly smiling and you can see it's not genuine. I don't see any arrogance in Eve.

And yes, I have been wondering about her American accent, too. She has been living in New York for some time now. Maybe she adapted the accent to sound more American for her movies?! We all know Bono can switch to any accent if he wants to, maybe she's just copying that?! I think it's a shame people start losing their original accent once they live abroad, but I myself have lost most of my original accent one I moved away from home so I'm the last person to blame them. My father is still bothered when he hears me talking.

Fake smiling is the worst, it might get many people who can't differ fake from real to like you, but to those who can it's repulsive.:yuck: not to mention untrustworthy.

I was surprised by her accent too, especially since I thought I had seen a filmclip of her where she talked with an strong Irish accent. I can't find the clip so maybe it was just in some dream. :crack:
I wouldn't mind getting rid of my awful Norwegian accent, it depends of course on the dialect of how bad our accents sound. The Irish accents I've heard are lovely. :heart:

I love the Irish accent! I find it incredibly lyrical and charming. Like LU said I think maybe it's because she has lived in NY and it's just a natrual progression. In regards to ones environment and picking up the local linguistics; from experience for example when I visit the southern part of the US ( I live in the Northern part of the US) I pick up the local sound really fast wherever I am. :)
Did I read somewhere that the director told her she had to play up her Irish accent more? So this American/Irish mix must be 2nd nature to her now then I guess. And just because one is an actress, it doesn't mean you take on the accent of the character you play when you do interviews. That would mean never breaking character right? :|
Whatever... I just made an observation, and she is lovely, just like her parents!

Are you talking about her accent in the Vanity Fair video? I watched a bit of the video just now and she definitely sounds Irish to me, certain words are very accented. Overall maybe it's not a real heavy Irish accent, but it's definitely there, nothing like Hugh Laurie on House (no trace of an accent, at least to someone like me who's not a linguist). I don't think she's faking a thing, she sounds like a very articulate Irish young woman. I thought I heard or read somewhere that typically Dubliners don't have a real heavy Irish accent but don't hold me to that, I've never been to Ireland and have absolutely no Irish ancestry!

Thank you for the link :) She sounds like a nice lady. I didn't notice any irish accent . When I hear irish people talk its strong.

She doesn't have a leprechaun accent, if that's what you mean (an overdone Irish McIrish sort of thing), but then she wouldn't, unless she was putting it on. She sounds like a typical southside Dubliner. You can hear some American traces with certain consonants, and she's definitely using some American vernacular (mom, movies), but overall she just sounds like an Irish girl who spends time in America and is speaking to an American versus someone without an accent.

Are you talking about her accent in the Vanity Fair video? I watched a bit of the video just now and she definitely sounds Irish to me, certain words are very accented. Overall maybe it's not a real heavy Irish accent, but it's definitely there, nothing like Hugh Laurie on House (no trace of an accent, at least to someone like me who's not a linguist). I don't think she's faking a thing, she sounds like a very articulate Irish young woman. I thought I heard or read somewhere that typically Dubliners don't have a real heavy Irish accent but don't hold me to that, I've never been to Ireland and have absolutely no Irish ancestry!

I have read it too that Dubliners have a softer accent than many other Irish accents. I think Bono, Larry and Edge have stronger accents than Eve. Their pronunciations of u and o sounds stands very out from British and American accents. Still I've read peoples' complains that Bono's accent is too American. :huh: Maybe his Irish accent was stronger in the 90s, the Pop Mart Bono vs Larry interview comes to mind.

The family has spent much time abroad, mostly in the US, and Bono has adapted an American accent since he is talking to Americans most of the time. When he's doing European interviews, especially in Ireland, you can hear his Irish accent. I think he's just adjusting to the situation.

I know that can happen quite easily. I have quite a strong accent in German that people from Germany (at least from certain parts of the country) don't understand, at least it's quite difficult for them to understand me when I'm talking like that. I'm really exposed as a foreigner when I'm opening my mouth, even if I try to talk without accent, it's just a different way of pronouncing things, a different intonation.

I have spent a lot time in Germany and have relatives and friends there, so I kind of started to talk like that because they wouldn't understand me otheriwise. When I'm talking to people at home, I usually talk differently, with a stronger accent.

As for U2, I think the only one having a stronger Irish accent in the band is Larry.

Does Bono really sound that American? To me he sounds purely Irish, I've never heard him speak where he didn't sound Irish (except for very short clips where he's obviously joking around).

Does Bono really sound that American? To me he sounds purely Irish, I've never heard him speak where he didn't sound Irish (except for very short clips where he's obviously joking around).

Same here, I keep wondering why his accent sounds so much American to many. I kan hear the same pronunciations now as he had before.

I have Notice Larry has a strong irish accent. Kitty cat just hear other irish accent in tv shows from the uk.

I think Bono had a stronger Irish accent when he was younger. He doesn't sound un-Irish or American now, more like a mixture of both Irish and American, but whenever I hear an early interview with him I can't help but wonder why his accent has changed so much over the years. I guess it's just an issue of travelling so much, living in other parts of the world, getting to know so many different people from other countries, communicating with others and so on. I don't think it's something he did on purpose to sound "less Irish". I still love his accent and all, but it's very clear to me that he doesn't have the thick Irish accent that, for example, Larry still has.

Is English your first language? If not, maybe that's the difference? English is my first/native language, and to me he still sounds so very Irish, I'd have a hard time noticing if he were more or less Irish sounding. He can speak once sentence even the way he talks now and it's clear he's Irish, not American. To me it would be more likely that he's an American faking a good Irish accent than Irish faking an American accent, b/c if that were the case he's doing a really bad job! :wink:

drive-by

Dublin accents, like London accents, also vary by class background, which may in turn correspond with specific neighborhoods. I was under the impression that Larry's accent was more the working-class type whereas Bono's was more the middle-class type? Anyhow, they never sounded that much alike to me, including in 1980s interviews, though I haven't listened to all that many. Obviously Edge and Adam have Anglo-Irish accents, not the same one, but there's a variety of those too, depending on both class background and where in the UK the person's family came from. In any case, there's no one "Dublin accent," let alone Irish accent. (And no one "American" accent, either; I'm American, have lived here my whole life, and it's still common for me to meet fellow Americans whom I immediately recognize as having a distinct regional accent, yet I can't quite place it because I've never heard that specific accent before.)

Dublin accents, like London accents, also vary by class background, which may in turn correspond with specific neighborhoods. I was under the impression that Larry's accent was more the working-class type whereas Bono's was more the middle-class type? Anyhow, they never sounded that much alike to me, including in 1980s interviews, though I haven't listened to all that many. Obviously Edge and Adam have Anglo-Irish accents, not the same one, but there's a variety of those too, depending on both class background and where in the UK the person's family came from. In any case, there's no one "Dublin accent," let alone Irish accent. (And no one "American" accent, either; I'm American, have lived here my whole life, and it's still common for me to meet fellow Americans whom I immediately recognize as having a distinct regional accent, yet I can't quite place it because I've never heard that specific accent before.)

Ok, that makes sense to me. Of course there are many accents in every country, but I still think Bono had a stonger accent (I have no idea if it was an Irish or a Dublin accent or whatever) when he was younger, not like Larry's accent, different, but still much stronger than the one he has today. I just think it has to do with him getting around so much. It's not a bad thing, in fact I feel it fits him perfectly, since he's very much a citizen of the world. As I said before, my accent has also changed with the years, not because I tried to change it on purpose, but because of various circumstances. It happens to some people and to others it doesn't. I think moving away from the countryside and into the city had a lot to do with it, as well as studying at university, meeting all kinds of different people from different backgrounds and also choosing a profession where you have to speak to other people a lot and do a lot of public presentations.

No, Liesje, I'm not a native English speaker, but I usually recognize different accents in other languages. However, I have no real idea how Irish or Dublin persons are really supposed to sound like. I've met Irish people who I had a really hard time understanding, same for some English people. My first language is German and there are so many accents in German, some are easy to understand, some almost impossible.

My first language is German and there are so many accents in German, some are easy to understand, some almost impossible.

No kidding! When I do German Shepherd events the judges fly in from Germany. Some I can understand perfectly (one I even had to translate for since he did not speak English and the host club hadn't booked a translator), others might as well be speaking a totally different language. I believe the German we were taught is a northern accent since my teacher lived in Hamburg.

Ok, that makes sense to me. Of course there are many accents in every country, but I still think Bono had a stonger accent (I have no idea if it was an Irish or a Dublin accent or whatever) when he was younger, not like Larry's accent, different, but still much stronger than the one he has today. I just think it has to do with him getting around so much. It's not a bad thing, in fact I feel it fits him perfectly, since he's very much a citizen of the world. As I said before, my accent has also changed with the years, not because I tried to change it on purpose, but because of various circumstances. It happens to some people and to others it doesn't. I think moving away from the countryside and into the city had a lot to do with it, as well as studying at university, meeting all kinds of different people from different backgrounds and also choosing a profession where you have to speak to other people a lot and do a lot of public presentations.

No, Liesje, I'm not a native English speaker, but I usually recognize different accents in other languages. However, I have no real idea how Irish or Dublin persons are really supposed to sound like. I've met Irish people who I had a really hard time understanding, same for some English people. My first language is German and there are so many accents in German, some are easy to understand, some almost impossible.

You’re right Bono did have a stronger accent in the 80’s. Ballymun/Finglas is a working class area whereas Killiney is middle and upper middle class. There are 2 very different accents in Dublin and Bono has developed the middle class one over the years. Larry speaks in the middle class accent when he does foreign interviews but he always slides back into the working class Coolock/Artane accent on telly over here.

Irish accent is a bumpkin accent... They better change it!

A bumpkin accent! How dare you. I could say a million things about French people right now but I won’t lower myself to your level. Your country is far from perfect with your psycho president Sarkozy. P.S. “they better change it” is poor grammar in the context of what you mean, so you ought to get some more English lessons. You have nothing nice to say to anyone so why don’t you go and you know what to yourself??? J

You’re right Bono did have a stronger accent in the 80’s. Ballymun/Finglas is a working class area whereas Killiney is middle and upper middle class. There are 2 very different accents in Dublin and Bono has developed the middle class one over the years. Larry speaks in the middle class accent when he does foreign interviews but he always slides back into the working class Coolock/Artane accent on telly over here.

Thanks, I'm curious about different accents, it's great when someone has the knowledge to explain the difference. :applaud:

A bumpkin accent! How dare you. I could say a million things about French people right now but I won’t lower myself to your level. Your country is far from perfect with your psycho president Sarkozy. P.S. “they better change it” is poor grammar in the context of what you mean, so you ought to get some more English lessons. You have nothing nice to say to anyone so why don’t you go and you know what to yourself??? J

At least i can speak more than one language! How about you? Try to confront me in french....
(And what Sarkozy has tot do with that? Lol...) French has some horrible accents too, specially the easter one, it's french with a german accent...
I didn't want to offend you but working class irish accent, Larry's one, is "fookin'" funny!

Ah the bliss of the ignore list, I suggest you make use of it! :wink: There are a lot of stereo types, especially about the French being arrogant know it all sobs, and unfortunately "he" lives up to that particular stereo type!! :tsk:

But going back to the interesting discussion on accents, I'm huge Simon Baker fan, i.e. The Mentalist, who, from what I've heard, is very popular in France and maybe because his character, Patrick Jane, is a bit an arrogant know it all sob....but anywho.....I can definitely hear the difference in Simon's Australian accent when he's being interviewed on an American talkshow to a talkshow interview in his homeland. I think it just comes naturally, same with Bono, I don't think either of them really "try" to sound more American, it just happens! :shrug:

I think he has a mental health problem so there is no point in trying to reason with him. I doubt he even likes U2. He probably does this on a variety of websites.

No trolling is only when you make rude comments about individual forum members, a bit like what of you did to me a couple of weeks ago, remember? U2 have had worst things said about them over the years but it's also considered a sin to defend yourself or them according to some folks.

Now I've lived in the south west of England most of my life where the accent is known to be farmer's country bumpkin. I don't care is nesquick wants to call me a bumpkin at all, because as I said, I've heard worse said about me on here over the previous weeks

Rude.

(waits for nesquick to accuse me of not letting anyone say anything mean about U2)

Agreed, very rude! :huh:

And, I'm of the opinion that we U2 fans already have to put up with nasty posts made about U2/Bono, and us, on all the other non-u2 forums, Youtube, other webpage comments etc. without having to come here, and especially NOT Pleba, a forum dedicated to the appreciation of U2, and read similar nasty comments! :angry:

So if anyone coming here feels the need to rag U2, Bono, a member of their family or us, then I would kindly suggest they go do it elsewhere and NOT HERE! :rant:

Back
Top Bottom