Does Bono still smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rob33 said:

actually, I am going to get all "omg wtf bbq" on you, because that is the most ridiculous thing ever!!!

no, seriously now, I understand that is your personal preference, but in terms of quality of voice, vertigo is by far best in a long ass time...and to say he sounded out of breath during that Stay performance at Union Chapel...WHAT?!?!?

that entire gig is absolutely brilliant....that version of Stay crushes ANY elevation performance of that song easily...and better than/on par with ZooTV performances...

sorry, but's true.....it's damn true :yes:
Nope, hes catching his breath a lot of the time at the end of a line, and the long "staaaays" are by no means long, or anything special.

Its ok, but I dont believe its as good as its being made out to be. Perhaps the accoustics have a role in it, I just dont think its anything special. :shrug: Either that or its a bad recording. Youtube isnt the pinacle of audio excellence.

Nope. You may need to spend a little more time in EYKIW I think, because you clearly missed this when it came around the first time :wink:

The only proof you need lies right here in these recent videos from 11-23-2007...

Desire

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

Wave of Sorrow

I can't find Angel of Harlem at the moment, but that was also performed that night...4 songs in total

anyway, not only has his technique drastically improved but also his voice...it's rich, raw, smooth, and powerful, listen to "Staaaaaaay" for example..that is incredible....he didn't even sing it with that much power on ZooTV...

listen to the "oh sister" line in Desire, that has lovetown written all over it baby!

there is no denying, after listening to this video, that his voice is, in some senses, better than it has EVER BEEN...

but his voice is without question better overalll nowadays than it has been for the past 15 years or so...

sorry to bring up an old thread.....but you're completely nuts or uneducated if you think his voice sounds better than ever these days....at times it sounds pretty rough and def not in a good way -- like he's about to lose it completely as some points - you have to listen closely to detect his throat/voice problems.....I'm not saying its bad - I think its great -- just not nearly as good as in the past....if he's still puffing...he should stop ASAP in order to prolong his singing career and way more importantly --HIS LIFE!!!

You're bumping an ancient thread just to post THIS?

There are enough Bono voice threads over at the tour forum.

And calling someone "nuts" and "uneducated" isn't exactly very nice.

Bono was a shouter in the 80s, he's a singer now. Thank God he has had proper training and knows how to use his voice.

You're bumping an ancient thread just to post THIS?

There are enough Bono voice threads over at the tour forum.

And calling someone "nuts" and "uneducated" isn't exactly very nice.

Bono was a shouter in the 80s, he's a singer now. Thank God he has had proper training and knows how to use his voice.

sorry about the harshness....just want the guy to be at his best!

it is true. on the other hand, he's not getting any younger. his voice is bound to lose some of its power.

exactly...he doesn't need smoking to complicate matters...:doh:

also appears to have aged him..doesn't smoking cause wrinkles as well?

also appears to have aged him..doesn't smoking cause wrinkles as well?

well, yes. yes, it does. it also causes lung cancer and heart diseases.
just like alcohol causes liver damage, wearing high heels causes varicose veins and eating chocolate causes cellulite ;)
life is an unhealthy business, my dear.

Bono's a big boy. he knows what he's doing. don't worry about him that much :)

hahaha...I remember this thread :giggle:

to quote myself, I said "that his voice is, in some senses, better than it has EVER BEEN...", and that's true! Bono is just able to do things nowadays that he just simply could not do years ago...I'm not saying his voice has never been better...that comes down to personal preference.

But regarding that performance of Stay (and for that matter, recent 360 performances), Bono could not sing the chorus with that much power back in ZooTV days, his voice had a thinness to it back then, and many times he just went to his falsetto.

Do the other band members still smoke too? Because I've seen pics and videos from the JT era where it looks as if they all smoked at one time.

Adam quit everything after ZooTv Sydney, I know Larry still smokes(was in a big interview a while back, he hides it from his kids:tsk:.)

I don't know about Edge or Bono...

Adam quit everything after ZooTv Sydney

I think he was still smoking until the early 2000s, actually. And the drinking stopped more like around 1995, not strictly after the Sydney shenanigans. And you don't ever quit hookers.

The band members that aren't Adam started smoking around 1987, and probably all of them except Adam still smoke to an extent.

christ how do I know these things

I think he was still smoking until the early 2000s, actually. And the drinking stopped more like around 1995, not strictly after the Sydney shenanigans. And you don't ever quit hookers.

The band members that aren't Adam started smoking around 1987, and probably all of them except Adam still smoke to an extent.

You used to be a fangirl, Bonnie, admit it.

There's Elevation pictures of Adam with a cigarette, so Adam didn't quit smoking cigarettes until recently. No idea if he still smokes pot. I wouldn't be surprised if he still does, on occasion, to mellow out.

Edge with a cigarette looks weird, I can't get used to it.

You used to be a fangirl, Bonnie, admit it.

There's Elevation pictures of Adam with a cigarette, so Adam didn't quit smoking cigarettes until recently. No idea if he still smokes pot. I wouldn't be surprised if he still does, on occasion, to mellow out.

Edge with a cigarette looks weird, I can't get used to it.

True, you and the fangirl are right. :wink:

Hm, I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Edge with a cig outside of one ZooTv era one where he was drunk as a skunk. Or it wasn't a regular ciggy. :wink:

In the book of the best of 1980-1990 are pics of Adam in 1979, with a ciggarete...:angry:

Grtzz.

When I was reading an out-of-date medical book last year about surgery it said that after a medical procedure, like the one he had last year, you should try and give up. Does this man ever do as he's told? Where's his self disciplin?

I knew where this discussion would be going. I think he reduced smoking very much, when was the last time there were pictures of him with a cigarette? Not even paparrazi pictures. That would explain why his voice has been so strong recently. I think he enjoyes the odd cigar, but I think he's really taking better care of his voice now.

Forget his voice. What about his health? What's so excitting about a cigar anyway? I was reading the prologue in Killing Bono, which I have looked at before, and Bono gets all excited about boxes at the Playboy Mansion that hold illegal Cuban cigars for the famous. Boring! What's so great about that? I'd rather go to Torquay and buy fudge! I tried 2 or 3 cigerettes in the past and I don't get the appeal. You're just puffing on a a lit stick that makes you cough!

I agree, though, that the "girly voice" statement is really dumb.

Do you think he is dumb?

But on the other hand I sympathize, because he's under so much stress.

Has he tried meditation? He should! And so should I one of these days!

Btw, you guys would be surprised how many singers are smoking. It's the stress. I have a friend who worked in opera and she told me that a lot of opera singers, male and female, are smoking as well. Doctors are smoking, everything. It's a bad habit, but it's so hard to quit. And I guess it's a real progress for someone like Bono to be able to reduce the smokes so much, which I'm pretty sure he has done.

You are right here. It is not uncommon for opera singers to smoke and drink. However, Bono has matured now and I think it was LastUnicorn who mentioned ages ago that in interviews Bono said that he doesn't even drink that much anymore. I don't think that's boring. I think that's just growing up. Even wild parties can get turn tedious if someone just carries on doing it throughout their life without exercising any control.

I'm hoping that Last Unicorn is right when she says that Bono has given up, bar the odd cigar every now and then. So I believe her.

^ I agree, I just think it's the technique that has improved, not the vocal cords themselves. But I am biased by my DH, who is a singer. I don't really know much about singing myself. There are components to Bono's voice he can never get back and never improve on, no matter how much he works on technique. That said, I totally prefer the better technique with the more raspy sound than his voice from the 80s which sounded much cleaner but was like listening to Kermit the Frog at times.

Fair enough. You prefer your husbands voice, I totally understand that. But Bono doesn't even have a raspy voice now, only when he's been singing for many nights on the trot. Even that moron Niel McCormick said that he sounded younger on NLOTH, and I can't stand him! In the 80's he wasn't even singing but he was shouting. I personally hated his 80's voice. If you prefer him shouting back then to him actually singing now in 2011 then fair enough. But don't consider his 80's voice singing.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f195/does-bono-still-smoke-184275-5.html#post6299593
it is true. on the other hand, he's not getting any younger. his voice is bound to lose some of its power.

Actually many U2 fans have said that his voice is just as powerfull as it was before, only he doesn't maintain sustained belting throughout an entire song. Maybe you're a fan of shriekers and shouters.

I´m much worried about his health than his voice. Because his voice is good to me (of course that it´s not as good as in past years.)

I ask again, why? He's voice is just as powerful. Is that just because you prefer singers who continually belt until they lose their voice? You should put that as an opion rather than a matter of fact. Aretha Franklin has to sing with backing singers now and she hasn't embarked on long tour over the years like bono has. Long belting sessions are damaging and that's why Bono has stopped that now.

Back
Top Bottom