Bonos handwriting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Bono's handwriting reflects his personality...kind of spazzy and all over the place, unusual. Coincidental I'm sure.

:lol:
True!
I think he writes like that because his brain goes far too quickly for his writing to catch up, so his messy scrawls are a result of a very active mind!
Not that it's a bad thing :heart:

Uhm, alcoholism changing handwriting is actually well documented.

handwriting alcoholism - Google zoeken

(Elsevier Science is not to be confused with the Dutch magazine of the same name.)

However, I have no idea of how it influences writing, or what alcoholic handwriting looks like.

The article I read ( Elsevier ) looks like a study on how being drunk ("under the influence") affects handwriting. Being drunk and being an alcoholic are two different things. Unless Bono is always drunk when he writes, alcohol is not affecting his handwriting and is not the reason for its messy nature.

He's got a alcoholic'handwriting. That's typical. My godfather, a doctor who were alcoholic, wrote me letters like that.

Doctors are known for having terrible handwriting.

I can't decifer Bono's handwriting. I'm trying to make sure that mine is neat. When I look back over what I've written I feel the urge to go back over it. However, I have made vast improvements over the years.
I do like things to be prefect.

Handwriting is somehow determined by the method the child follows when learning, there are two main methods, one in which you start drawing dots and then the child links them to form letters, this method provides more regularity in the form and size of them, and there's another one in which you learn each letter by imitation like pictograms, this is faster, but usually the person develops a more varying size, sometimes they even mix uppercase and lowercase.

After years of teaching carreer and of correcting handwritten exercises I don't find Bono's handwriting or those from the other members of the band so extraordinary or difficult to read, they are average, when something has been written as a quick note their style is more casual as it is mine when I leave a note at home, very different from when I write something on the blackboard, but that's the same with everyone I suppose.

I don't know if it is the same where you live, but in my country suggesting that someone is an alcoholic without any proof is a very bad insult and I'm feeling really uncomfortable with some of the statements I've read in this thread.

This post is interesting. I learnt to write by the second method you mentioned: pictograms. Everyone's handwriting is more untidy if you are writing quickly.

Are you a teacher Marien?

Doctors are known for having terrible handwriting.

I can't decifer Bono's handwriting. I'm trying to make sure that mine is neat. When I look back over what I've written I feel the urge to go back over it. However, I have made vast improvements over the years.
I do like things to be prefect.

I can get most of it.

Bono's writing reminded me of my previous Dr's. I had to take a perscription to be filled and the pharmacy asked "do you know what he prescibed? Lucky for me, I did. Because, I needed the medication for a strep throat.

That's not very nice! :ohmy: :huh:

I agree. My son has trouble with handwriting and never drinks alcohol. He is Muslim. Sometimes people have problems with their hands and fine motor skills. The case for my son. It isn't their fault. Handwriting can be much more difficult for people who have Carpal Tunnel or Arthitis.

I can't write properly because I'm ambidextrous. :shrug: has nothing to do with alcohol, just cause I learned to write left first, and right later it's both a bit wonky. I can write properly with left, but most of the times if I'm writing notes that I'm only supposed to read I'm too lazy to. When someone else has to read it I usually do the effort though. Or write with my right hand as for some reasons the letters are much bigger when I write with my right hand.

I realize this thread is old, but to defend the handwriting of the gentelmen, may I add the following:
  1. One is an example from a book signing, where they are signing quickly, and, as a result, a bit less formally.
  2. Bono's busy schedule probably precluded him from writing his Lennon article masterfully - in fact, he may have assumed it would just be retyped for publication.
  3. While there is a link between alcoholism and handwriting, in order to state that this is alcoholic hand-writing, one would need samples of handwriting in the pre-alcoholic days, while sober, while intoxicated and while in this state of "withdrawal" - this last item is key as that is where the link is claimed to be.
  4. People's handwriting does change with time - even the most beautiful handwriting can become a bit sloppy or forced - this could be due to distractions, arthritis, cramped muscles, impatience, etc.
  5. For many, myself included, handwriting is a mixture of cursive and printing - this may appear sloppy to some. That is, there is a subjective aspect in judging whether handwriting is "good" or not.
  6. Some people never had strong hand-writing, even as children.
  7. Most doctors have horrid handwriting - can you read what's on your precsriptions? And these doctors are not all alcholics (if they were, would you go to them?). Rather, this is a sign of people who are moving quickly and are already thinking about something else (like the next patient or person in line).
  8. The actual signatures of each person is very artistic - this is the strongest sign of their personalities. Each is a musician, so it follows that they would have loopy, artistic signatures reflective of their creativity.
  9. The advent of typing on computers or phones for most communication has made some people's handwriting worse simply because they don't use it as much.
  10. Looking at Bono's answers to "Q" regarding Lennon, you can almost see how quickly he wrote that - probably in mere minutes. In fact, it was so quick that by the last question, he was already annoyed. LOL! When writitng quickly, one usually doesn't expect neatness.
  11. Bono's handwriting seems similar to my eyes, when one looks at glimpses of his handwriting in the learly 80's recordings.

I could go on, but I think you can see my drift. My conclusion is that they write as I would expect. ;)

I think Bono's handwriting reflects his personality...kind of spazzy and all over the place, unusual. Coincidental I'm sure.

Also, men tend to have crappy handwriting I think :giggle:

My dad is left handed and his handwriting is horrible, so I'll agree with you on that one.

I also think that they aren't going to just diligently write it out, because there are tons of people asking for an autograph so it always looks a bit rushed.

We are buying a house so I just signed my name about 300 times and now can completely understand why Bono's sigs and salutations are sloppy!

:giggle: Yep , that is probably his daily basis.

Congrats on the house! Exiting.

Four years ago I started at a job that requires me to sign my name about 400 times a day - my signature's changed from completely legible to the first letter and a straight line. Just waiting for a day my credit cards all gets confiscated, it takes real effort to match the signatures...

He used to be able to write more legibly...

u2-anotherday-pcard.jpg

u2_another_day-CBS8306-1176673563.jpeg

(his cursive is hilarious)

Of course, this was in '80...:giggle: That was a while ago.

He used to be able to write more legibly...

u2-anotherday-pcard.jpg

u2_another_day-CBS8306-1176673563.jpeg

(his cursive is hilarious)

Of course, this was in '80...:giggle: That was a while ago.

What is this sleeve from? Another Day? I've never seen it before.

It was in the 80's, writing reflects age too, and he knew it was going to be published, that's a big difference, I also bet he had lots of time to write it and a previous draft not to forget anything.

Why do you find his cursive hilarious?

I can only see the second image, by the way.

Four years ago I started at a job that requires me to sign my name about 400 times a day - my signature's changed from completely legible to the first letter and a straight line. Just waiting for a day my credit cards all gets confiscated, it takes real effort to match the signatures...

I have to sign lots of times too, sometimes 3 signatures in the same paper with my ID number, yesterday I went to the physiotherapist and I gave him my ID instead of my telephone number :lol:

It is from 'Another Day'

...I'll put the 1st up on Photobucket and get a better link, sorry. Yeah, his handwriting's kind of funny because it's odd cursive, not the way cursive usually is and more like printing

u2-anotherday-pcard.jpg

It is from 'Another Day'

...I'll put the 1st up on Photobucket and get a better link, sorry. Yeah, his handwriting's kind of funny because it's odd cursive, not the way cursive usually is and more like printing

u2-anotherday-pcard.jpg

Thank you so much!:wave:

I think I'm used to every kind of writing, I couldn't find anything unusual, you had to see some of my undergraduates', they'll crack you up!

Yep :) It's also in the booklet of the remastered CD of 'Boy'; I found the writing and traced it for a picture I made...heh.

I will say this about handwriting, I used to write all the time with pen and paper (print and cursive). Since computers have become my main mode of writing, my handwriting has really gone downhill. My hand gets tired very quickly and it becomes scrawl. I imagine it is the same for Bono too. He used to write long hand and now probably uses a laptop most of the time now. You get out of practice. It would be interesting to see how texting and writing on a phone has changed people's handwriting.

I think his handwriting is quite nice in the beginning of the SYCMOYO video. :cute:

And like someone said I think the Lennon article was written in short time, it looks a bit "put-together-in-a-rush" ^^

Back
Top Bottom