Bono's daughter in security lapse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear that - for Jordan's sake. At least the breach was rectified.

At least, she's studying similar courses as to what her mom studied when she went to university.

All the Best to Jordan. :hug:

Agreed.....that kind of info. Is something, I wouldn't want public for either of my grown children. You never know who reads it.

It's amazing what is on the web these days. Just the other day I was looking up a person I am acquainted with b/c I wanted to see if he is still practicing in his field of medicine. Instead I found tax records and spreadsheets listing his salary (and the salary of EVERY person at the university where he works/worked!) for several years running. I couldn't believe it! I work for a college myself and was thisclose to calling HR to find out of MY salary is public information.

At the college where I work, anyone who can login to their web site (students, staff, faculty, alumni, etc) can access everyone's pictures, phone numbers, addresses, etc. but every person can control what is visible to which people (if anything) under FERPA I believe.

haha no she´s not at harvard
thou i dont know if its convenient to say what university
perhaps no
she used to studied at TCD
but i think she entered this year to that US uni

Wasn't there speculation a few months ago that she was going to school in the U.S., but that was only a rumor. I guess it is true.

Shame about the securtiy situation.

But good for her to study "abroad", it's very common for European students. I know she studied in Dublin but I don't know at which university she's now. Maybe she's in NY living in Bono's apartment. But I'm glad to hear she studies politics and history, she's her parent's daugther after all.

It's amazing what is on the web these days. Just the other day I was looking up a person I am acquainted with b/c I wanted to see if he is still practicing in his field of medicine. Instead I found tax records and spreadsheets listing his salary (and the salary of EVERY person at the university where he works/worked!) for several years running. I couldn't believe it! I work for a college myself and was thisclose to calling HR to find out of MY salary is public information.

At the college where I work, anyone who can login to their web site (students, staff, faculty, alumni, etc) can access everyone's pictures, phone numbers, addresses, etc. but every person can control what is visible to which people (if anything) under FERPA I believe.

As far as I know, yes, the salary information is public and available online. This applies to everyone who's listed as Faculty and Staff at colleges and universities. It is updated every year. It's how I saw what my other colleagues made and I used that evidence to ask for a raise.

As for the topic at hand, my alma mater used to have our school and home addresses available online, and our student ID numbers were our SSNs. It was the stupidest thing ever. They changed our IDs since, and now you are able to request that your contact information be private. I'm surprised colleges are still stupid enough to do this though. Regardless of celebrity status, it is not a good idea for a public domain, such as an institution of higher education, to be posting personal information.

Shame about the securtiy situation.

But good for her to study "abroad", it's very common for European students. I know she studied in Dublin but I don't know at which university she's now. Maybe she's in NY living in Bono's apartment. But I'm glad to hear she studies politics and history, she's her parent's daugther after all.

Perhaps CU? Years ago, a friend of mine was a journalism major, there.

Considering todays current climate with school shootings, it seems a stupid idea to post such personal details in a public domain.

Considering todays current climate with school shootings, it seems a stupid idea to post such personal details in a public domain.

The article doesn't state whether it was actually on a public domain, only that it was on the school's web site. That could mean that only other students or employees of the school had access to it.

We have the same thing at the college where I work. Each semester students freak out that other people can look them up and see their pic and all their information. Because of privacy laws, they have access to control what other people see (if anything), but I think generally it starts as "all on" so it is displayed until the person logs in and changes it.

Maybe that is the case here. I can see the same thing happening...."Hey Jordan, did you know I looked you up and all your contact info was there?"

But good for her to study "abroad", it's very common for European students.

I thought that it was more common, at least from the European countries I know something about, for students to study at, or near, home. At my university most of the students were from Ireland and the international students were mostly made up of people from outside the EU.

Our universities don't post anyone's private information so it's accessible for other people. I have never heard of this. It would cause a public uproar here, people are so sensitive when it comes to protecting their privacy and personal rights, and rightfully so, if you ask me. I think a system like this is pretty strange, and disturbing.

I thought that it was more common, at least from the European countries I know something about, for students to study at, or near, home. At my university most of the students were from Ireland and the international students were mostly made up of people from outside the EU.

Interesting.

We were basically required to go abroad to graduate, but not for the entire time (a term, a year, etc). So I went to school pretty close to home (b/c it's cheaper to go to school in your resident state if you are like me and can't afford tuition, the state grants you financial aid) but went to Africa to get the right credits to graduate.

Seems like Jordan's traveled a lot in her life so it's probably no biggy for her to study in the US.

Most people I know, including myself, have studied abroad, depending on what they were studying. Some of them were in the US, some in Britain, others in France or in Canada.

The article doesn't state whether it was actually on a public domain, only that it was on the school's web site. That could mean that only other students or employees of the school had access to it.

We have the same thing at the college where I work. Each semester students freak out that other people can look them up and see their pic and all their information. Because of privacy laws, they have access to control what other people see (if anything), but I think generally it starts as "all on" so it is displayed until the person logs in and changes it.

Maybe that is the case here. I can see the same thing happening...."Hey Jordan, did you know I looked you up and all your contact info was there?"

in my case, my contact information (school address, home address, and corresponding phone numbers) was available simply by doing a search on the main page. one did not need to log on. no idea if that was the case here, but those were the circumstances back in my time.

Mia, that's interesting. I went and read into the regulations, since we have been receiving more and more calls about it (I work in IT so the students call for anything related to web/computers even if we don't have control over it). It is correct that directory information can be disclosed by the school without consent unless the person requests that it not be (so like in the case of our school, everything is displayed by default until the student turns it off....you'd think the opposite should be true!).

Directory Information

Some information in a student's educational record is defined as directory information under FERPA. Under a strict reading of FERPA, the school may disclose this type of information without the written consent of the student. However, the student can exercise the option to restrict the release of directory information by submitting a formal request to the school to limit disclosure. Directory information may include:

*Name;
*Address;
*Phone number and email address;
*Dates of attendance;
*Degree(s) awarded;
*Enrollment status;
*Major field of study.

Though it is not specifically required by FERPA, institutions should always disclose to the student that such information is considered by the school to be directory information and, as such, may be disclosed to a third party upon request.

So, for all the college students out there, good to know!

I work for a college as well and recently, my boss' computer was compromised and we were told that all our personal info may be out there for all to see. The IT dept was very apologetic and have offered to pay for each of us to have one of those credit reporting website accounts to monitor our credit for a while.
luckily, our college had gone to "student ID#s" instead of using SSNs a couple of years ago but I'm sure if someone wanted the info they could get it.
sorry to hear that Jordan has run into this kind of situation in the US.
I hope her college days will be happy ones.

just a suggestion: let's keep where she goes to school private here and not post it if you know this information, hence the forum rules.

Sorry.....and of course, you are right. I honestly don't know what University/schools Bono's children attends. I agree. They are entitled to their privacy. Just as we all are.

Anyway, no matter what age, it is a great time in a person's life.
I went back to college, at age fifty. Not to pursue another degree, but for more specialized courses relating to my job. And I loved it! I took a semester off. But, I will be returning in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom