Bono to Write New York Times Op-Ed Column

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeannieco

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay
Bono to Write New York Times Op-Ed Column
First in a Series of Occasional Op-Eds Will Appear on Sunday
• Friday January 9, 2009, 9:30 am EST
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The New York Times announced today that Bono, the U2 lead singer and anti-poverty activist, has been invited to write a column for The New York Times. Beginning this Sunday, his columns will appear occasionally on The New York Times Op-Ed page and online at nytimes.com/opinion and will cover a broad range of subjects. He will also do a podcast of his first column.
“Bono is a great addition to our Op-Ed line-up,” said Andrew Rosenthal, editorial page editor of The New York Times. “He is an extraordinary man who thinks deeply about his art and the major issues confronting the world. His writing will reflect that.”
“What an honor,” said Bono. “I've never been great with the full stops or commas. Let’s see how far we can take this.”
Bono has been a leader in the fight against AIDS and poverty in Africa since his initial involvement in the debt cancellation campaign of 1998, when he began lobbying governments across the G8 to free poor countries from odious debts so they could spend more on health and education. Since then, he has continued working on debt relief and trade reform while becoming a vocal advocate for global health. He has worked publicly and behind the scenes in the U.S. and Europe to help generate a global response to the AIDS emergency in Africa and for additional support to combat deaths from malaria and other preventable, treatable diseases.
Bono is the co-founder of ONE, a nonpartisan advocacy and campaigning organization backed by more than two million people dedicated to the fight against global poverty and disease. In 2005, Bono and ONE were key players in helping persuade the G8 nations to commit an additional $25 billion in effective assistance to Africa by 2010. Through his activism, he has travelled extensively to G8 and African capitals and worked directly with world leaders, as well as with influential religious and business leaders involved in anti-poverty campaigning.
Bono also co-founded (RED), with Bobby Shriver, to gain more involvement from the corporate sector in the fight against AIDS in Africa. In just over two years, (RED) has generated more than $120 million from some of the biggest brands in the world for The Global Fund to finance AIDS programs in Africa.
The U2 front man was born Paul David Hewson in Ballymun, Dublin. He met the Edge, Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton at school, and in 1978 the Irish rock band was formed. U2 has sold more than 140 million albums and won numerous awards, including 22 Grammys.
The New York Times Company (NYSE: NYT - News), a leading media company with 2007 revenues of $3.2 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, 16 other daily newspapers, WQXR-FM and more than 50 Web sites, including NYTimes.com, Boston.com and About.com. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.

let's hope B does a much better job than Rashid Khalidi's op-ed today

Oooh goody :applaud: Hope we can get to see it on line as am a little bit too far away to get a copy :)

Little random thing . . . an online voting poll (ninemsn.com.au) here asked the following
Vote: Would you read rock star Bono's opinion columns?
Yes = 12302
No = 39019

guess there's not a lot of B love here at the mo :lol:

The Edge is going to have a column too? :hmm: According to this small snippet he is.
I haven't found anything else on it however.
Maybe the writer was just trying to be clever?:hmm:

Late Breaks: Bono, 'Men's Vogue,' CBS, more - Yahoo! Finance

-U2 frontman Bono writes an op-ed column for The New York Times, starting tomorrow. Related: The Edge is the new "$25 and Under" columnist.

The accompanying picture:

BonoNYTimes.jpg

If anyone knows how to save the audio that would be great. I don't know or have what it takes to capture it.

Dana

I love to read Bono's writing, he has a unique way with words, and I also love to hear his speaking voice :drool:

I've downloaded the file with Real Player, if anyone wants it, I can upload it and post a link here, it's a mp3.

OK, here it is:

http://www. send space .com/file/817wum

Thanks a lot! Saved me (and others) a lot of trouble there.

I absolutely loved reading (and later, when I realized there was a recording of it, listening to) what Bono wrote. Of course I'm assuming that he must've had someone else helping him with it -- at least proofreading it and providing some kind of feedback and ideas. That doesn't take away any of the authenticity of it, in my opinion. Especially when you listen to him reading it, adding some and taking some away... I'm just in awe of this man. I spent last night listening to speeches made by him on YouTube, and there was especially one that really captured me. The one he made at the CA Women's Conference in October last year. Wow! (I know I'm kind of late -- should've seen it months ago, but better late than never, right?)

Sorry for going a bit off topic. My point is that I really appreciate what Bono does outside of the band. Just like others, I don't necessarily agree with every move he makes. But most of what he does, really moves me -- occasionally just as much as U2's music does, actually. And while it should be the other way around, considering the heavy topics he keeps bringing up, I can truly say that he makes me think in new ways. And that really is something, at least in my book.

I'll be absolutely glued to NY Times every time he writes there. I hope there will be audio made by him every time.

Thanks a lot! Saved me (and others) a lot of trouble there.

I absolutely loved reading (and later, when I realized there was a recording of it, listening to) what Bono wrote. Of course I'm assuming that he must've had someone else helping him with it -- at least proofreading it and providing some kind of feedback and ideas.

I wouldn't be so sure about what you say, of course he would have let someone read it and request his/her opinion (everyone does it), and maybe the little help we always get with commas and marks, apart from that, I see no sign of anything interfering with his style, which has been developed and is well documented for at least the last twenty years. I've liked this little piece of writing quite a lot, the way it drags from the Irish literary tradition, the atmospheric description and the whole metaphor, the two sides of a song/singer and the two sides of life. We could say he's not focussed enough, but I think it adds to the lyricism of the piece.

It always amazes me that people are so surprised that Bono can write well. It's like, "He's a rock star so he must be illiterate." He writes the way he talks and he talks like a very intelligent and thoughtful person so why wouldn't he be able to write?

Dana

Back
Top Bottom