Bono: Model Leader and Change Agent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
This is quite a nice article from the Financial Post; @u2 sent it out as well:

Bono: Model Leader and Change Agent - FP Executive Blog

Bono: Model Leader and Change Agent
Posted: November 24, 2008, 4:00 AM by Sacha Gera
MBA, Sacha Gera, U2, Change Agent, Bono, Leadearship, Richard Ivey School of Business

Bono: a rock star, an artist, a poet, an activist. How about an incredible leader?

Bono has had some serious success as a world leader. In a time when the world is looking for
change agents to arise and lead us back to economic stability and sanity, there is a lot that can
be learned from Bono’s leadership and change agent abilities.

Is Bono more than just the lead singer of the biggest rock band in the world? Well the answer
to that would simply be, yes! He’s a business man: he sits on the board of an investment fund
called Elevation Partners and is a co-owner of the Clarence Hotel in Dublin as well many
other valuable pieces of real estate. He’s a co-founder of numerous organizations and
companies: he co-founded DATA (Debt AIDS Trade Africa), he is a co-founder of EDUN (an
Irish fashion company creating fair-pay employment and trade in Africa), and he co-founded
the ONE Campaign and Product Red in the fight against poverty. He’s continuously
honoured for his contributions: he’s been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize three times,
has received an honorary knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II, and was named Person of the
Year by Time magazine in 2006 along with Bill and Melinda Gates – just to name a few
accolades. Did I mention that he played a critical role in the Jubilee 2000 Drop the Debt and
Make Poverty History campaigns? Bono’s leadership efforts are many in number, but it’s not
the quantity that is impressive it’s the impact that they’ve had – a true measure of successful
leadership.

What kind of impact?

Bono’s leadership has been a driving catalyst behind a ton of successes in Africa. Of course
it’s not a one man show, but there’s no doubt that Bono has played a major role behind the
encouraging news that is starting to come out of Africa. For example, his efforts with Jubilee
2000 and the Drop the Debt campaign have helped drive commitments from western nations
to cancel over $100 billion USD in 3rd world debt (over $35 billion USD has been written off
already). Debt servicing in 26 countries in Africa has been reduced by an average of 40%,
setting the stage for increased investment in education, healthcare (fighting HIV/AIDS), and
infrastructure. This has translated into a number of successes: 59 million insecticide treated
malaria bed-nets distributed across Africa, 29 million more African children are now in
school, over 2 million additional Africans are on HIV/AIDS medication, and the number of
children in Africa dying from preventable, treatable illness has reduced from 12.7 million to
9.2 million per year. In addition to his efforts in helping to bring increased foreign aid and
debt cancellation, Bono’s role as an active spokesperson and leader has brought about much
needed visibility and political might to the fight against these prominent issues in Africa.

So what makes Bono a model leader and change agent?

A few months back I was sitting in a ‘Leading People and Organizations’ (LPO) MBA course
at the Richard Ivey School of Business. The course is taught by an incredibly passionate and
energetic professor by the name of Gerard Seijts. He taught us about Kenneth Blanchard, a
renowned management expert who says that the key to successful leadership today is
nfluence, not authority. In my opinion, this perhaps explains a lot about Bono’s success as a
leader. Bono has no authority but does have an extraordinary amount of influence. Let’s face
it he’s one of the biggest celebrities and musicians of our time. His celebrity has earned him
extraordinary respect and that respect has translated into a monstrously powerful set of friends
including the Clinton’s, the Bush’s, the Mandela’s, the Gates’and the Pitt’s to name just a
few. Did I mention Oprah? Politicians are constantly after photo ops with him and often just
want to be associated with his initiatives to buy votes. What these politicians fail to realize is
that they are playing right into his hands: a photo op with Bono followed by a face to face
meeting where he’ll impress you with his knowledge, facts, charisma, celebrity, influence
and tact – before you know it he’s gotten you to commit to increased aid and debt cancellation for
the 3rd world. Ok maybe I’m exaggerating the process just a bit, but the point is that it’s his
influence and celebrity that get him into the politician’s door and gets them to listen – a
definite fit of Kenneth Blanchard’s definition of a successful leader.

As another key take away from the LPO course, we learned about Harvard Business School
Professor John Kotter, who is widely regarded as the world’s foremost expert on leadership
and change.

Kotter identifies eight common qualities of successful leaders and change agents:

1. Establish a sense of urgency

2. Create a strong guiding coalition

3. Develop a compelling vision and strategy

4. Communicate the change vision

5. Empower employees for broad-based action

6. Generate short-term wins

7. Consolidate gains and producing more change

8. Anchor new approaches in the culture

In my opinion it’s quite easy to find supporting examples of how Bono demonstrates all eight
of these qualities, but I will focus on just the first two since I think they are his greatest
strengths.

Establishing a sense of urgency is second nature for Bono. "Christ won't let you walk away
because it's difficult, expensive and a moral hazard," Bono said, speaking of the AIDS
epidemic. “Africa is bursting into flames while we all stand around with watering cans,” says
Bono as he delivers a message on live TV warning us about the potential of our generation
going down in the history books for something other than the internet. It’s messages like
these ones that establish his burning platform of urgency – a key to a successful change agent
and leader.

Creating a strong guiding coalition is another strength that Bono has demonstrated
throughout the years. From day one, Bono has been working in a team that has become a
massive coalition – one that just seems to get more powerful and influential by the day. His
coalition now spans far wider than his political and celebrity friends. It includes millions of
supporters that have joined movements like the ONE campaign and Make Poverty History, as
well as people like you and me that have heard the message and are making poverty,
HIV/AIDS, malaria, and the cancellation of third world debt political issues in our own
respective nations. Of course, Bono’s work in securing Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, and Oprah on
his team definitely helps his cause.

Is Bono for real?

In November, 2005 my wife, brother, sister-in-law, and I had the opportunity to meet Bono
outside the Scotiabank Place in Ottawa just prior to a U2 concert. He had just arrived from a
meeting with then Canadian Prime Minister, Paul Martin. As he got out of his black Cadillac
Escalade he approached a few of us telling his security guards to back down. As he signed
autographs and posed for pictures he asked us about our thoughts on Canada backing down on
its commitment to increase foreign aid to 0.7% of GDP. He asked us about our opinion on
Paul Martin and whether it bothered us that he was reneging on his campaign promise to
increase foreign aid. It didn’t take much to realize that this man was the real deal; he was
truly concerned about Canada’s lack of commitment and was using every opportunity to poll
and listen to Canadians first hand to gain additional insight on our sentiment toward the issue
– a true leader.

All great leaders seem to have strong communication skills, many of whom have a knack for
delivering quotes that just seem to stick and make sense. Here’s one of my favorites from
Bono in the closing lines of a book entitled ‘Bono on Bono’:

“The world is more malleable than we think. We can bend it into a better shape. Ask the big
questions, demand the big answers.”

~Bono: Model Leader and Change Agent

Thanks for great article LU ! :sexywink:

When I read articles like that a question always comes to my mind : What else is necessary for a person like Bono to be awarded with The Nobel Peace Prize??:hmm: He really deserves it...

:waiting:

...U2 is my Miracle Drug...

I might be way off base but don't you need to bring about peace to win the award?

I might be way off base but don't you need to bring about peace to win the award?

Not exactly! - This word - PEACE - means much more than only "peace" itself. If you take a look at others winners you will find people who really helps to make the world a better place to everybody in many different ways/areas. I believe Bono has done it for a long time.

... U2 is my Miracle Drug ...

Yes, because all the Nobel Prize winners brought Peace ...

Not really, many of these decisions are very controversial and almost always are based on a "hidden" political agenda.

But yes, Bono certainly is someone who tries to bring peace into the world. Helping the poor means trying to make the world more peaceful.

That said, I don't think Bono - or any rockstar - should ever get the Nobel Prize. He doesn't need it anyway to do his work, and he has said in the past that he doesn't think he deserves it. There are others who deserve it far more and who are not in the spotlight. I am against giving this prize to celebrities, because they really don't need it.

I love Bono very much.

But please let's not turn this topic into something controversial.

Yea probably... and they don't give nobel prizes to rockstars anyway.
Sorry LU, I don´t want to be controversial but.., it means that he could be awarded only if he weren´t a rockstar? :sad:

Only for this reason? Gee... so, why was he nominated ( I think twice) for this prize?

I believe that more than the "knighthood" or the "Person of the Year" , to win this prize would be a great honour to Bono´s activism concerning.

(Sorry, back to te topic...)

...U2 is my Miracle Drug ..​

He was nominated at least three times. But anyone can be nominated if they have enough support.

Sorry, I really love the man, still I don't think he should get the prize, no celebrity should, but people who are not in the spotlight. There are a lot of brave, wonderful, inspiring people out there who simply do not get media coverage, because they are not celebs or rock stars. Bono has said himself that there are a lot of people who'd deserve the prize more than him.

I think he's been awarded so much. Not that I think he doesn't deserve it. People like Bono have the benefits of celebrity and being able to bring issues to people's attention because of that. Other people don't have that and awards like the Nobel Prize should shed a light on those whose good works don't get the media's attention.

But Bono IS a truly inspiring person, I admire him, and I really like this article because it points out some things that I really love about the man.

Sorry LU, I don´t want to be controversial but.., it means that he could be awarded only if he weren´t a rockstar? :sad:

Only for this reason? Gee... so, why was he nominated ( I think twice) for this prize?

I believe that more than the "knighthood" or the "Person of the Year" , to win this prize would be a great honour to Bono´s activism concerning.

(Sorry, back to te topic...)

...U2 is my Miracle Drug ..​

My point exactly.

He's been nominated three times, 2005, 2007, 2008 if I'm not mistaken.. and he hasn't won a single time.

I don't remember anyone else being nominated three times and not winning.

My point exactly.

He's been nominated three times, 2005, 2007, 2008 if I'm not mistaken.. and he hasn't won a single time.

I don't remember anyone else being nominated three times and not winning.

There are people who are constantly nominated and never win. We just pay attention to Bono because we're his fans.

The lists usually are top secret and never get published by the Nobel comité.

I think Bono winning the prize would cause A LOT of controversy and the pressure on him would be even bigger.

I would love him just as much if he "only" did his work without winning any awards, I don't need someone having any accolades in order to admire what they're doing.

There are people who are constantly nominated and never win. We just pay attention to Bono because we're his fans.

The lists usually are top secret and never get published by the Nobel comité.

I think Bono winning the prize would cause A LOT of controversy and the pressure on him would be even bigger.

I would love him just as much if he "only" did his work without winning any awards, I don't need someone having any accolades in order to admire what they're doing.

Hm, I hadn't heard of that before.

Well agreed, if he'd win it people would only get another topic to bitch him on. It's better this way. As long as the people who care acknowledge that, he shouldn't need more.

Hm, I hadn't heard of that before.

Well agreed, if he'd win it people would only get another topic to bitch him on. It's better this way. As long as the people who care acknowledge that, he shouldn't need more.

I hadn´t either.. :ohmy:

and you are right GG when you mentioned that topics to bitch him on would come ... :)angry:)

Thanks LU for explaining me the reasons he can´t win the prize.:wink:

(.oh...that it was one of my dreams... and I feel now it will never comes true :sad:

Back on topic....thanks LU for finding and sharing this very interesting article! It confirms my own opinion of Bono's work for the poorest of the poor but I'd think the writer forgot about one very powerful friend, namely President-elect Barrack Obama!! :wink:

I know people keep saying a "rock star" will not or should not win the Nobel Peace Prize, and Bono shouldn't win because of... whatever reason - but the phenomenal work Bono has accomplished in the lives of the most desperate and where he has enacted change are the very reason this prize is awarded.
In most cases he would be as much deserving as anyone else. Don't rule him out just because of his profession. Some of the winners have prestigious positions, and they are deserving of the award but they are doing the same thing as Bono.
Making a difference. So why not Bono?
The 2008 recipient has a compelling resume, and so does Bono. :up:
Martti Ahtisaari Winner of the 2008 Nobel Prize in Peace

^ I have to say I agree here and I don't really understand the arguement that he doesn't deserve it. (And I know he will also be first to say so.) Of course there are PLENTY of people who also deserve it, and that is why he may never win it. I'm also not saying he is the most deserving and must win it. But to say that he should never get it just because he has also made a fortune and fame for himself in a completely different line of work doesn't make sense. If he were Paul Nobody Hewson and had accomplished the things he has accomplished would he then be more deserving? Unless you are saying only people that devote ALL of their time to their cause are the only deserving ones, then I don't see why he shouldn't be just as deserving as others who are nominated.

That said, if he ever did win it, you'll have a gazillion people bitching about why he shouldn't have won it who probably haven't a clue as to what he really did to deserve it, so he's probably better off not winning it. :huh:

ok that's all I guess :wink:

Actually, Bono has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for at least the last FIVE years in a row and he IS as eligible & worthy of nomination anyone else who is accepted for final consideration by the Nobel Peace Prize awarding committee.:hyper:

I actually had written an article for Interference back in 2003 about Bono & the Nobel Peace Prize but I can't seem to find it on the "newly-redesigned" site.

It explained a lot about the Nobel Peace Prize process and how candidates are chosen.

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :cute:

The nobel peace prize is a huge honour which IMO should only be given to people under exceptional circumstances, people like Mendela. I heard even him himself say that he don't think that a rock star will ever win that prize. Maybe I'd put Bob Geldof in the running before but in the end I don't even think Geldof should win it. There are loads of people within the organization of Red who you never see but work really hard behind the scenes, Bono is just a spokesperson and he admits that himself.

Having said all that Al Gore won it and afterwards they found out some discrepencies in his film about global warming so this prize unfortunately has been dumbed down over the years. Henry Kissenger even won it he was a bastard.

Back
Top Bottom