Bono in New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much for posting these pictures ladies! :hug:

B looks lovely...Such a cute pie. Still, I can't get over that blasted cut. And like dazz I didn't like the POP buzz either; really short hair just doesn't suit him. It changes the look of his face, head, and body so much - it doesn't look like the proper Bono! :hmm:

However, the jeans and boots are definitely a step in the right direction. :drool:

In some of those pics,that hairstyle makes Bono look real old,older than what he is.I'm sorry but I don't know how anyone can say it makes him look younger?I don't think so.I'm not liking that hair style either.Not one bit.I miss the rock star look,it's time he starts looking like a rock star again.I'm sorry Bono....I love you loads,but...grow the hair a tad more please?:reject:

020164515.jpg

It looks like he's been writing a lot. That bump on his middle finger looks like a "pencil callous." I get those when I do a lot of writing in school.

Lyrics, perhaps? :hmm:

FT.com recruits Bono and Jeffrey Sachs as bloggers
September 22nd, 2008 Posted by Laura Oliver in Events, blogging, ft
U2 frontman Bono and development economist Jeffrey Sachs are teaming up with FT.com in a bid to form the world’s ultimate rock group to blog their way through the United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals summit, which starts in New York on Thursday.

Sachs, who is director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University, and Bono will post ‘development diaries’ throughout the event, a release from the paper explains.

Coverage was kicked off with a Q&A with Bono, who, it seems, is taking his duties pretty seriously:

AB [Andrew Beattie, FT trade editor]:What are the two or three goals you want to achieve this week?

Bono: 1. Blogging for the FT, being your roving reporter in the canyons of Manhattan. While the world upends on Wall Street, I’ll be mostly midtown at the UN and the Clinton Global Initiative talking about the resilience of the world’s poor while the world’s rich find out how fragile life can be.

Or then again…

AB: What exactly happens in the meetings you have with these world leaders?

Bono: Judo in a suit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 21, 2008
by FTBono Q&A on the MDG summit
Bono and Jeffrey Sachs will begin blogging for FT.com from Monday afternoon, EST. In the meantime, here’s a Q&A between Alan Beattie, the FT’s trade editor, and Bono, carried out this weekend, ahead of the meetings.

AB: What is this week [and the Millennium Development Goals summit] all about?

Bono: Most of us woke up on New Year’s Day 2000 with a hangover and a hazy memory of a night of pleasant fanfare and dumb parade. However, the new millennium was also celebrated by our commitment to eight goals that would change the planet and demonstrate to the developing world how we might, through a combination of know-how and resources, partner with them in efforts to help millions out of desperate poverty. We gave ourselves 15 years, we’re halfway there. How do we measure up?

AB: What are the two or three goals you want to achieve this week?

Bono: 1. Blogging for the FT, being your roving reporter in the canyons of Manhattan. While the world upends on Wall Street, I’ll be mostly midtown at the UN and the Clinton Global Initiative talking about the resilience of the world’s poor while the world’s rich find out how fragile life can be.

2. Unlock €1bn of unspent European Union Common Agricultural Policy money. This year our farmers don’t qualify for it, food prices are high. African farmers desperately need it.

3. Show what’s working as well as what’s not. Bad news about Africa travels much farther than good news. There will be a historic and innovative announcement on malaria on Thursday – watch out for it. Thanks to debt relief, aid and African leadership, 29m more children are going to school.

AB: What will you actually be doing in the days ahead?

Bono: A sleepless cocktail of rabble-rousing, meetings with politicians, chief executives, faith leaders and NGOs. People such as Nicolas Sarkozy, President Jakaya Kikwete of Tanzania and Gordon Brown.

AB: What exactly happens in the meetings you have with these world leaders?

Bono: Judo in a suit.

AB: Will people care about development amid an apparent collapse in the global financial system?

Bono: Lots of people will be focused elsewhere – understandably so. But it would be a huge mistake for us to ignore the strategic importance of the continent of Africa. China gets it, India gets it. The private sector too – it’s where the growth is. A partnership on development is not just heart, it’s smart.

AB: Many promises have been made and broken at summits over the years. Why is this one different?

Bono: Progress happens much more slowly than we’d like, but these summits are an opportunity to climb that bit higher and hold countries accountable for what they said they’d do. Certainly It’s not all doom and gloom.

AB: A lot of the emphasis at these summits is on the rich donor countries. Are developing countries also doing enough?

Bono: Some are, others are not. Those that are should get as much money as they can absorb, for example Ghana, Tanzania, Rwanda, Senegal, Mozambique. We’ve done a lot of work on the Millennium Challenge Account, a US programme that offers a big pot of money for governments that are stamping out corruption, making it easier to do business, investing in human capital.

AB: Are you concerned that the development debate is being reduced to a narrow focus on aid?

Bono: I hate talking about aid and, in my experience, so do Africans – they’re entrepreneurial by nature and want our trade more than our aid. But they need seed capital and some start-up infrastructure to get going. Needless to say, it’s hard to do business if you’re dead or dying. As things stand, aid when well spent is a critical source of investment.

AB: Is being a celebrity rock star a disadvantage when it comes to being taken seriously?

Bono: I get the absurdity. Taking yourself too seriously is the bigger mistake. Celebrity may open the door to the White House, Downing Street or the Elysée palace, but once we’re in the office they soon regret the invite if they’re just looking for a photo. We’re time-consuming and expensive to do business with.

AB: And finally – how much money have you personally lost so far in the Wall Street turmoil?

Bono: I’m OK. I’m not super careful, but I’ve always tried not to be stupid about money. It’s a serious business – especially if you don’t have any.

Palin to Meet World Leaders, Bono
Email
Share September 22, 2008 9:02 AM

ABC News' Imtiyaz Delawala Reports: Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin will participate in a series of meetings with foreign leaders gathered this week for the U.N. General Assembly in New York, according to the McCain campaign.

Serving as an introduction of Palin to the types of foreign leaders she would regularly interact with as vice president, on Tuesday, Palin will meet Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai and Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, as well as former US Secretary of State Dr. Henry Kissinger. On Wednesday, Palin will meet with Iraq President Jalal Talabani and Pakistan's newly-elected President Asif Ali Zardari.

Palin has not met any foreign heads of state in her capacity as governor of Alaska, and has been criticized for her lack of foreign policy experience. She first received a passport two years ago, before visiting American troops in Kuwait and Germany in 2007.

Palin will be joined by Sen. John McCain for joint meetings on Wednesday with the presidents of Georgia and the Ukraine, as well as with the prime minister of India. The Republican running mates will also meet Wednesday with U2 lead singer Bono, who has been active in international humanitarian issues.

When asked by ABC News' Charlie Gibson whether she had ever met a foreign head of state, Palin responded, "I have not and I think if you go back in history and if you ask that question of many vice presidents, they may have the same answer that I just gave you. But, Charlie, again, we've got to remember what the desire is in this nation at this time. It is for no more politics as usual and somebody's big, fat resume maybe that shows decades and decades in that Washington establishment, where, yes, they've had opportunities to meet heads of state."

In fact, every vice president over the last 30 years had met with foreign heads of state before being elected.

where's Bono the rockstar? I'm patiently waiting :waiting:

what do you guys think? 2 more months and we'll start seeing this guy?

Errr, Bono can wear whatever he wishes and what's comfortable for him, he can cut his hair the way he feels like cutting it, and if he's going to meet world leaders and he feels this look is appropriate, he should just do what he feels it's right. I'm not for the supershort hair either and most of all I wish he'd lose the red shades, because they make him look older than he is (not the hair), but I accept that he wants to look this way. Bono has his own head and certainly doesn't let anyone tell him what to do and I'm glad he's that way. Some people seem to forget that he's not there as rock star and U2 is not giving a concert, these are serious talks about a serious issue and if you want Bono to be a rock star you have to wait for the new U2 album and tour.

Sometimes it makes me sad that fans seem to know exactly who the "real" Bono is and what he's supposed to look like and how he's supposed to act like.

i lvoe the look on Bono and Bobs faces, there is so much naughtiness and affection between them both...imagine being in a room with them both..what a riot....although not if your a politician...Bob can go in for the kill while Bono stands back and takes it all in with a smile....gotta love the irish lads

Suzanne

Back
Top Bottom