Bono: Black & Metallic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
During the early dates of the PopMart tour Bono was playing (2) Les Paul Custom. Later in the tour, he stopped using both after taking delivery of the two ES175's with custom sparkle finishes. (one red sparkle / one blue sparkle).

The hollogram/metallic finish LP Custom was used for "Last Night On Earth" (have a peek at PopMart Edmonton on YouTube). While the black LP Custom... I've seen video footage of Bono playing it during "Gone" and "Last Night On Earth" during the opening night show in Las Vegas.

Gone - YouTube - Gone (live from Popmart Las Vegas)
Last Night On Earth - YouTube - Last Night On Earth (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

Anyone have other pics of Bono with this black Les Paul Custom? (pictured below):
gib-lp-custom-blk-xxxx-popmart-1.jpg

Or the brushed metallic Les Paul Custom (pictured below):
gibson-lp-metalic_finish-1.jpg

I'm still going to check on those pics for you EdgeO. I was so exhausted after work last nite I promptly fell asleep before I had a chance. I will though. I know there are not many unfortunately. But we know how Bono likes to have fun with his guitars, swinging them around to his back, slinging them over his shoulder, or holding them above his head... not so easy with a Les Paul! :giggle:
(He really didn't do that so much with his guitars aftrer Pop though did he...)

I'm still going to check on those pics for you EdgeO. I was so exhausted after work last nite I promptly fell asleep before I had a chance. I will though. I know there are not many unfortunately. But we know how Bono likes to have fun with his guitars, swinging them around to his back, slinging them over his shoulder, or holding them above his head... not so easy with a Les Paul! :giggle:
(He really didn't do that so much with his guitars aftrer Pop though did he...)

He did more with guitars on POP than he did on VERTIGO.

Sure he's no "The Edge" but he's a far better guitar player than most - even if he does spend more time 'holding' the guitar than playing it.

Look at Staring At The Sun from Popmart Mexico - that's BONO playing the guitar melody and Edge strumming the chords.

He did more with guitars on POP than he did on VERTIGO.

Sure he's no "The Edge" but he's a far better guitar player than most - even if he does spend more time 'holding' the guitar than playing it.

Look at Staring At The Sun from Popmart Mexico - that's BONO playing the guitar melody and Edge strumming the chords.

Wow sorry about the delay getting back here :ohmy: I'm having some major issues with my Internet :(

Anyway... Oh yes EdgeO I'm totally with you there. In fact I've defended Bono's guitar playing before in threads where they were bashing it :grumpy:

Not sure, maybe you misread my post... but I was referring to the reason that he switched guitars on Popmart was maybe because of the weight of the Les Paul, not so easy to swing around like he liked to do back then. Guess I thought you'd know what I meant, sorry!

Also when I said he didn't seem to do that as much after Popmart I meant he didn't do the swinging and holding the guitar up etc. type of things... on the last two tours he didn't do that, but spent more time just holding his guitar and playing it... not playing around with it. Hard to make my point I guess when the word "play" is being used for 2 different meanings here. :sigh:

Anyway... now that I'm back online I can look for more pics for you ;)

:hmm: found this studio pic... looks like the LP, but the cutaway looks a little different so it makes me question it... could just be the angle of the pic, I think it's the custom.

bonopopstudiobw.jpg

A bit more black LP info for BONOCOMET

BONOCOMET, remember we were trying to figure out WHEN did Bono begin using the black Gibson Les Paul Custom...

This picture (below) suggests that it was not only used for Pop and Passengers but for Zooropa also.

Gibson-Les_Paul_Custom-19xx-black-1.jpg

I remember the same interview being in both Musician and Vox magazines from when Zooropa was released. The pic might have only been in the Vox magazine, if memory serves.

OOH right! I forgot about that pic. I knew I had seen one of the LP from that time period. That's a cool photo. Hopefully we'll find more. Thanks Edge_O!

OOH right! I forgot about that pic. I knew I had seen one of the LP from that time period. That's a cool photo. Hopefully we'll find more. Thanks Edge_O!

Yep. Be cool if he used it some, again. I'd LOVE to hve a black Les Paul Custom (or a white like Edge's)

Trivia? Edge got his white one in 1982. He wanted it because Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols had one.

Thankie. I think Edge mentioned it in U2 By U2, also. But I heard it from another source.

Here's a larger version, of the previously mentioned/posted piccy. Scanned this from the orginal Vox 1993 source.

scan0011.jpg

ooooh nice pic! definately a Les P :doh: that I never noticed that before'! I've had those pics for a while!

if I'd go Les Paul, I'd definately get a black one! Tho the blue one Edge used in the studio (sold with the auction) was a fiiine colour too! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom