AWF Launches Build a Well for Bono's Birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
African Well Fund Launches Seventh Build a Well for Bono's Birthday Fundraiser
Non-profit challenges U2 fans to change the world in 70 days

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. -- March 2, 2009 -- For the seventh straight year, the African Well Fund is giving U2 fans the opportunity to change the world in honor of Bono's May 10 birthday. The nonprofit is using the 70 days between the release of U2's new album "No Line on the Horizon" and Bono's birthday to collect money to fund water projects in Liberia.

This year, the African Well Fund is selling limited-edition T-shirts and buttons to raise money for the birthday well that feature this year's "70 Days to Change the World" theme. Donations can also be made to the birthday well through the African Well Fund's Build a Well for Bono's Birthday page. As in years past, donors will be invited to leave birthday wishes for Bono on a virtual card that will be forwarded to Principle Management.

The 2009 Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser will benefit a water, health and hygiene improvement project in Liberia. Administered by AWF partner organization Africare, the completed project will increase access to safe drinking water and improve sanitation and hygiene for communities in selected districts of Nimba County, benefiting
about 7,000 people. Learn more about the project
here.

Access to safe drinking water remains out of reach for over 67 percent of Liberian households, with almost 76 percent having inadequate sanitation. Many communities in Nimba County do not have access to safe drinking water because they never had water and sanitation facilities, or they were pillaged or fell into disrepair during civil conflict that impacted Liberia for 14 years, according to Africare.

Over the last seven years, U2 fans have donated more than $143,000 to Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraisers. This money has funded projects in Angola, Ethiopia, Uganda and Zimbabwe that have benefited approximately 21,000 people.

The African Well Fund is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization that was founded in 2002 by a group of U2 fans. Since that time, the African Well Fund has raised more than $682,000, which has been used to fund more than 120 clean water projects in sub-Saharan Africa. All donations to the
African Well Fund go directly to Africare, one of the leading private, non-profit, charitable organizations assisting Africa. The African Well Fund was founded to focus on one achievable goal: providing access to clean water to everyone in Africa. The African Well Fund believes that
access to water is not merely a basic human need but a basic human right.

Love the new graphic for this event! Love the event! A stroke of genius that continues every year.... hope you get a great response this year too! :up:

AWF Auctioning CD Signed by Bono, Adam Clayton and The Edge for Build a Well for Bono's Birthday

In honor of Adam Clayton's March 13 birthday, the African Well Fund is hosting a special auction to benefit the Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser. Up for bid is a copy of the "Under a Blood Red Sky" deluxe CD/DVD reissue signed by Bono, Adam Clayton and The Edge.

The signed "Under a Blood Red Sky" will be auctioned on the African Well Fund eBay page beginning Thursday, March 12 at 9 a.m. Eastern time and will close on Saturday, March 14. Bids will start at $70 to coincide with this year's Build a Well for Bono's Birthday theme of "70 Days to Change the World."

African Well Fund volunteer Ayesha Marcel got signatures from Bono and Clayton while U2 was in Los Angeles for the Grammys in February. She told both that the CD would be auctioned off for Build a Well for Bono's Birthday, so Bono included his birthday with his signature ("10/5/60" or May 10, 1960).

"Adam simply listened as I explained to him what the AWF was about. I didn't know whether or not he was familiar with the AWF, so I felt I should explain why I was having him autograph the CD and what we hoped to accomplish," Marcel said. "With Bono, I knew he was aware of the AWF so I didn't have to do any explaining. Just saying the words 'African Well Fund' was enough to get his attention and he graciously agreed to sign the CD even though he was in a rush."

Marcel got The Edge's signature on the CD earlier this week when U2 was in Los Angeles for the first night of the "U2 3 Nights Live" radio broadcasts.

UABRS2.jpg

This isn't the first signed item Marcel has gotten for AWF. She helped collect signatures from Bono, Ali Hewson and Rogan Gregory on an EDUN shirt that was part of the 2007 Got Water? auction.

"U2 items are always popular when AWF auctions are held, and autographed items even more so, so if I can help procure something that's going to bring in higher bids or more donations, then I'm more than happy to do so," Marcel said.

The seventh annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser will fund a water project in Liberia. Learn more about the project here. Learn more about the fundraiser, including how to donate, by visiting the Build a Well for Bono's Birthday page.

Bidding for this is amazing. Thank you again everyone so much for your interest in this auction and your support of AWF! The auction actually closes Sunday morning (sorry, my days are off :reject: ). Click here to check it out.

I would so bid on that if only I didn't get mine signed in NYC a few weeks ago by Bono, Edge and Adam. I may bid anyway just because it is for a good cause.

African Well Fund Launches New Zazzle Page

The African Well Fund has opened a new merchandise page through Zazzle. The page features several designs for the Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser, including two incorporating the "70 Days to Change the World" theme that are available on organic Edun Live T-shirts. A button stating "I Changed the World for Bono's Birthday" is also available.

The store is also offering designs with the AWF logo. A potion of proceeds from the items fund water projects in Africa.

Click here to visit the AWF Zazzle page. For more information on Build a Well for Bono's Birthday, click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hmm: I may need to update with a new shirt for my daughters birthday. I gave her an AWF shirt a couple years ago and it's been worn so much it's really gross now :lol:

Back
Top Bottom