Attention Edge Gearheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuropa_fit

Blue Crack Addict
Can you tell me what song these are from? Thanks. They're from Phoenix, but I assume he plays the same guitar each night for any given song, right?

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

I think those are pictures of him playing the Gibson Les Paul Goldtop so that would likely equal Until The End Of The World. Then again, some Goldtop guitars have other (P90) mics and they are not on there. Not sure if Edge has different Goldtops or not...

Maybe Edge_O will pop in and confirm/dismiss my assumption.

There's a capo on the third fret, and any other possible song played on this LP is not in the setlist so that's most definitely UTEOTW.

On the 2nd pic I think he's playing the main riff. :wink:

Well spotted, GG!
I didn't even notice the capo at first. So yeah, that's Until The End Of The World then...

:nerd: First thing to check for when it's a Les Paul. :lol: Edge ruined the easy spotting by using the Music Rising Les Paul for NYD, it's not the "One" guitar anymore.

My brain is failing me right now, what other songs was the Goldtop used for? :scratch: I don't remember.. I know there are some!

It's not that hard Elann, Edge uses the same guitars for the same songs over the years. Though he switched guitars for SBS often, and swapped Stratocasters for Streets and Bad this tour. :) Just by watching concert videos you'll learn easy enough.

A lot of fun when you're at a gig and know what songs are going to be played moments before the others. :lol: People probably hated me for being enthousiastic before they had a clue what was going on!

Yeah I guess its UTEOTW, but I thought that its usually played with a capo on the 2nd, no?!?!

The only other songs that I can think of that I've seen Edge use a gold top LP are Last Night on Earth and SBS on the Popmart tour, obviously its neither of those,

EDIT: oops my mistake the capo has always been on the 3rd fret.

:nerd: First thing to check for when it's a Les Paul. :lol: Edge ruined the easy spotting by using the Music Rising Les Paul for NYD, it's not the "One" guitar anymore.

My brain is failing me right now, what other songs was the Goldtop used for? :scratch: I don't remember.. I know there are some!

If I remember correctly he used it a lot on the Popmart Tour?
Miami, Last Night On Earth, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Do You Feel Loved, If God Will Send His Angels. Can't remember if he also used it for Bullet The Blue Sky on that tour...?

Yeah I guess its UTEOTW, but I thought that its usually played with a capo on the 2nd, no?!?!

Well, depends on the tuning I suppose? I play it in standard tuning (e-B-G-D-A-E) and have the capo on the 2nd fret, while Edge probably uses his on the 3rd since his guitars are mostly tuned down ½ a step when playing live (eb-Bb-Gb-Db-Ab-Eb).

Yep, def UTEOTW. It sucks that they don't play many songs from Pop (if any at all?) cause Edge used the GT for most of those. Goldtop is my fav. finish. I had to get one (not necessarily because of Edge) and it's great. Edge_Orchestra I believe said his is a 30th Ann.? So that means it would have the fatter neck on it. I wonder what PUP's Edge has in there?

In the first pic Edge is playing a Gm, so its any one of the pre-choruses "We ate the food and drank the wine, everybody having a good time".

In the second pic Edge appears to be playing the solo.

There's a capo on the third fret, and any other possible song played on this LP is not in the setlist so that's most definitely UTEOTW.

On the 2nd pic I think he's playing the main riff. :wink:

Miami, Last Night On Earth, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Do You Feel Loved, If God Will Send His Angels. Can't remember if he also used it for Bullet The Blue Sky on that tour...?

Well, depends on the tuning I suppose? I play it in standard tuning (e-B-G-D-A-E) and have the capo on the 2nd fret, while Edge probably uses his on the 3rd since his guitars are mostly tuned down ½ a step when playing live (eb-Bb-Gb-Db-Ab-Eb).
Ah right, I was thinking something on Pop but I wasn't sure. :) Thanks for the clarification.

Edge used the goldtop for Elevation Fly

Not as far as I remember. I thought it was the faded alpino white with the gold knobs.

They only played "Do You Feel Loved?" a handful of times. Edge used a Gretsch Country Gentleman for DYFL in Vegas.

It is possible that he used a different guitar at another show. Example? "Last Night On Earth" opening night in Las Vegas, The Edge used a Gretsch Country Gentleman. Most other Popmart era footage I've seen is the 30th Anniversary Gibson Les Paul Goldtop.

LNOE - Vegas Popmart.
YouTube - Last Night On Earth (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

IGWSHA was the goldtop:
YouTube - If God Will Send His Angels ( Live from Popmart Las Vegas )

He did use the Goldtop for "Bullet..." during Popmart shows.
Vegas "Bullet":
YouTube - Bullet The Blue Sky (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

Although some later shows (Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires and Johannesburg are two examples), The Edge was using the 1975 Les Paul Custom for SBS and Bullet.

Buenos Aires
YouTube - Bullet The Blue Sky (live from Popmart Buenos Aires)

Sao Paulo
YouTube - Bullet The Blue Sky (live from Popmart Sao Paulo)

Jhannesburg
YouTube - U2 - Bullet The Blue Sky (from POPMart Johannesburg)

To the best of my knowledge, The Edge didn't auction a Gibson Les Paul goldtop.

Here's what he auctioned at the Icons of Music Auction in 2007:
You might be thinking of the Gibson ES-295 seen in the 'Desire' video. Gold in finish but not a 'goldtop'.

01mraucgib4.jpg

01mraucgib2.jpg

"Goldtop" is a term used for Gibson Les Paul Standards that are all mahogany except the top which is... gold finish. Like the piccy below.
IMG_1767.jpg

Edge uses a 30th Anniversary Les Paul Goldtop, most famously, "Until The End of the World". From what I've heard, like most of Edge's guitars there is a backup for this of similar make, model and vintage.

Other auctioned guitars?
Also auction in 2007:
1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom:
01mrauctlp3.jpg

This (above) is the guitar that Gibson have subsequently 'cloned', that Edge has been using for Unknown Caller during U2:360.

Auctioned at the 2008 Icons of Music auction [31 May 2008]:
One but not the original of his 1976 Gibson Explorer's.

GibsonExplorerlimitededserialnumber.jpg

large-406b.jpg

large-406f.jpg

Auctioned at the 2008 Icons of Music auction [31 May 2008]:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Standard in sparkle blue finish. It is said that it was used on "the latest album" so it could be on various NLOTH tracks - and perhaps some SOA tracks too.

I wish I'D WON this one. I like it!
large-399d.jpg

large-399.jpg

large-399a.jpg

They auctioned a Epiphone Music Rising Les Paul too...

thumb-408a.jpg

he gave his goldtop away for charity so he must have a few.

Back
Top Bottom