Article about U2- "U2 have lost their edge and should quietly fade away"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miss Milly

The Fly
Hi All,

Didn't know where I could post this. Just found it on The Age's (Melbourne newspaper) website, though originally from the Guardian so perhaps many have seen it. Here's the link: U2 have lost their edge and should quietly fade away - Music - Entertainment

Basically the reporter says U2 should pack up and retire. Always a few articles like this about so it isn't exactly shocking, but something for people to read if they're interested.

Sorry if I've gone and posted in the wrong section or if heaps of people have already seen it.

Vic

Do we really need another thread for this crappy article? There already is one in EYKIW. Plus we have a Misc News&Articles thread here in PLEBA. Why do some people like to spread articles that are dissing the band?

What a dumb article. :down:

Yes I just noticed that there is another thread where this could have gone, didn't notice it before. Apologies were there at the beginning of my first post, and apologies are again made. Newish to the forums and haven't quite found my way around 100% yet.

Personally, no matter how much I like something (in this case U2) I'm willing to read/ listen to other people's views. Maybe others also read differing opinions? That was the only reason for posting. A different view.

I hadn't seen that article, although I tend not to intentionally read this kind of stuff about the band. The article is crap, though. The writer does not back up any of his statements at all, so we don't really know what he's basing his opinion on...nor do we really care, at least I don't. I figure the band must have opted out of an interview with the guy at some point recently and this is his way of getting back at them.

Also the reason I think some people on this board seem to really take offense over these types of posts is because, many fans on here really have invested an emotional interest in the band (they've given ME so much joy over the years and it truly has been an emotional journey for me) so when someone says something negative about the band, we take offense like it's a personal insult...at least that's the way I feel. I feel like I just want to protect them from all the evil people out there, lol...not sure what this condition I have is called??? I guess we could call it CRAZY.

p.s. PLEBA is definitely not the place to post this though, that much I can say.

I'd be happy to move it to a more convenient spot if only I knew how :doh: that's me and basic tech moves for you.

Yes, it is a more 'traditional' sort of op piece: "If I say such and such about someone then you better believe it because I said so". Not exactly full of evidence or well conceived arguments.

Anyway, several things learned from this experiment in news distribution- 1. misc.article threads exist which need finding before not after posting; 2. Remember that it (article) may elicit emotions; 3. space in forum taken seriously hence the need to remember (1).

:)

And onto my next project.

I try not to read this kind of articles, I know they aren't perfect, but I don't think they deserve this treatment, the only thing I would like to tell this "critic" is "why don't you retire instead of U2?" I'm sure that there won't be many people depressed if he does.

Do we really need another thread for this crappy article? There already is one in EYKIW. Plus we have a Misc News&Articles thread here in PLEBA. Why do some people like to spread articles that are dissing the band?

What a dumb article. :down:

Miss Milly obviously wanted to share the article, whether its dissing the band or not is irrelevant. Had it been a postitive article there wouldnt have been a problem, unfortunately not everyone thinks the sun shines out of the guys arses. If its about U2 it has a place on the board, negative or not. People will still want to read it.

Don't be so harsh.

This is a U2 fan forum, still I get the impression that a lot of negative articles are spread here. We shouldn't give them even more attention by discussing them. There is a lot between being critical of U2 and "thinking the sun is shining out of their arses". Articles like that are simply mean and spiteful and not based on facts, just on someone having a personal problem with the band and not liking their music. Unfortunately, we live in an age where everyone and anyone can just write their opinion publicly and stuff like that often comes from jealousy and envy.

The fact that Miss Milly posted this article doesn't mean she wants to diss the band, Last Unicorn. Give her a break! She only needs to find her way around here. How were you when you were new here?:wink:

Besides, I'm always curious what U2 hating journalists have to say, it's always good for a laugh!

:hug:

I'm not new I just don't post often, but I have to say that I thought Miss Milly was totally justified in posting it. I hadn't seen the article and although I agree it's poorly written it's fun to read. Last Unicorn's response seemed a bit harsh considering Miss Milly's apologizing and explaining that she was new.

oh heaven forbid anyone post anything negative about U2 in pleba. It must make them an awful fan to want to share what others think about U2, good or bad. Let's start yet another meaningless fight now over it....

Aww...poor guys...

But...

You know what I'm just gunna keep my mouth shut :|

I think the main issue is getting blurred.
-Like Miss Milly said she is still getting to know her way around here "she is new to this site" I did not get from her that she agrees with that negative article. she just found it and wanted to post it somewhere.
-I see your point too Last Unicorn, I hate negative articles about the band but unfortunately we cannot stop people from not liking our band and yes we post all articles positive and negative in the articles thread, It is just that Miss Milly didn't know that.
Lets just move on and enjoy PLEBA, the happiest forum in interference :lol:

**Miss Milly, please do not feel discouraged from posting here ;)

I think that we should relax, sometimes we get too defensive here, Miss Milly was just posting an article about U2 in a U2 forum, this is quite alright I think, I didn't like the article and I said so, but this has nothing to do with the poster, she is new here, but she has all the right to post whatever she thinks interesting, we cannot make such differences depending on if we know the poster or not. And, really, I don't think U2 need this kind of defense, they talk for themselves. For me, this is the best part of the forum because I can show my love for the band without being laughed at and I'm grateful to all of you for that, as you see, I can understand where the reactions come from, but I don't think there were any negative intentions.
Let's forget all of this, the tour is getting near and it starts in my country, I couldn't be happier!

I found a letter to an editor in one of my local newspapers from a guy who doesn't like U2 or the last album, but I see no need in coming here and posting this. There is a difference between being critical and just bashing the band on a personal level just because it's a slow news day. I think articles should only be posted in separate threads if they contain new information about U2 or a new interview or something that is actually of news value. But yes, I see the poster is new and didn't know this, sorry for being harsh.

Back
Top Bottom