Zooropa...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBTH

War Child
Now this is a scary post but here goes...!!
smile.gif

It begins with an ethereal drone, then chattering voices and a beautiful piano refrain. It builds up, as though we are zooming in on something, coming down through the interference filled atmosphere, getting closer... To what? It's an almost cinematic opening to an album which at times appears to have a strong narrative thread.

The song Zooropa is like an introduction to the themes of the entire album. We are introduced to the character of the "star" who will reoccur in various guises... As the object of desire in Babyface, as the robotic zombie in Numb, as the "precious stone" in Daddy's Gonna Pay... In Zooropa we are introduced to the character's confused state of mind...

Soundbites from old advertisements. "a bluer kind of white" was the catchphrase of a soap powder manufacturer, "through appliance of science" the slogan of a washing machine maker, "We've got that ring of confidence" that of a toothpaste company.
To me this is the sound of someone who is immersed in the culture of materialism, bombarded with slogans, a vocabulary made up of soundbites. Add to that the nagging voice asking "what do you want?" As if encouraging this culture of blind consumerism.
The music reflects this also. It is very clean, precise and perfectly structured. But it all disintegrates as the lyrical viewpoint zooms in, this time right into the head of the character in question. The music wobbles and warps, sounding chaotic and somewhat confused. And much louder, reflecting the fact that we are now right inside someone's mind.

The lyric reinforces this state of confusion, of contradiction. Here we are dealing with a lost soul... "And I have no compass...", "...no map...", "...no religion...", "I don't know what's what...". And then you have this character telling itself that it can break out of this, but using the same language of soundbites... "You got the right shoes to get you through the night", "get your head out of the mud baby". It's clear that we have someone here who is desperately trying to convince themselves that there is more to life than soulless consumerism and trash culture, but in an almost half-hearted way. "And I don't know the limit... Of what we've got" is to me the key line. It's as though this is a person with everything, perhaps a superstar of some sort, but they are always wanting more, whilst at the same time contradicting themselves. "I've been hiding, what am I hiding from??", refers to this person hiding from their true self, their soul, by burying themselves in the trash of daily existence.

There's also a subtle reference to the opening of Achtung Baby in the line "Skip the subway, lets go... Overground". Zoo station used the metaphor of a subway journey to signal U2's "descent" (for want of a better word) into exploring the depths of trash culture, the darker realms as it were. Here the character seems to have had enough and is desperately trying to get out of the "mud".

Finally a narrative aspect is added with the final line "She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in... She's gonna dream out loud...". Notice how the treatment of Bono's voice changes for these final words, reinforcing the fact that this is a comment on what is going on, this is Bono distancing himself from what could actually be interpreted as a song about his own confusion, and his own position as a star with all the trappings who is grappling with questions of faith and conscience whilst also celebrating that which is materialistic and trashy.
He uses the same trick throughout the album, coming to a head with "The Wanderer" and it's use of a completely different voice to sing a song which is, in effect, about himself. It's as though U2 are trying to throw people of the scent, to bury their own misgivings about the nature of their celebrity, stardom, wealth etc. under layers of glitter and distancing techniques. More about that later...

And the word Zooropa itself acts simply as a representation of this confused state of mind. Zoo = chaos, ropa = unity or "state". It's just a state of mind which is in a state of chaos. It relates also to the technology which allows unity, such as satellite TV, and it's abuse at the hands of mass market media culture. And this links seamlessly(!) With the theme of Babyface, where TV has become an object of obsession and technology is abused and twisted. Here the tables are turned and we are in the shoes of the voyeur, the obsessive, observing the celebrity... Here we have the ultimate in commodification. The consumer being fed the illusion "how could beauty be so kind, to an ordinary guy". And it's done through the medium of satellite TV... "You're coming to me from outer space...", recorded and replayed over and over again "...in the freeze frame...", "...seen them so many times...". It's actually quite a sad and twisted little love song: "...I feel like I must be your best friend...".

All this is wrapped up in a sparkly, tinkling and perfectly innocent sounding little tune... On the surface. Listen for the sleazy bass, the tinkling glockenspiel part going completely off the tune and out of time, sounding almost totally random sometimes and working completely against the sung tune, and the dark and bizarre sounding guitar interjections. It all adds a threatening subtext to the song, as do the insanely repeated bababababababa...s. What Bono is singing is being totally undermined by the music showing up the undertones of obsessiveness and madness. Babyface is actually one of my favourite U2 songs because it uses such simple means to be so unsettling.

And then Numb. In this song we are back with the object of the obsession, the star. But I'll talk about that later! I think I have babbled enough for one sitting!

By the way, I'm going to go through the whole album on this topic in an attempt to express my ideas about the overall cohesiveness and, well, the sheer brilliance of Zooropa! Feel free to add any of your own thoughts on the matter!

Wow MrBTH! Your interpretations are incredibley insightful. Please do tell more!
I haven't listened to Zooropa in a while, but I've always loved it. You've so beautifully put into words some of my thoughts on the album as well.

Mr BTH...

Bravo, bravo. What a wonderfully insightful piece of writing. I dont think I could possibly add any more to it.

Zooropa is a brilliant album and in my top 3. Zooropa the song, I think is far too under rated. I adore it, obviously.
I have 'whatdoyouwant' typed into my mobile phone when it turns on.

You are so right about the charcter introduction. Zooropa is one of the best opening songs for an album, just like ZOO Station on AB.

we're mild and green and squeaky clean.....dont worry baby....get your head out of the mud baby.....what am i hiding from?.... uncertainty can be a guiding light....shes gonna dream up the world she wants to live in...shes gonna dream out loud

ZOOROPAmanda
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 08-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 08-25-2000).]

Wow... double wow and applause! Zooropa really does make you think... I've only had it a few weeks, but I've been thinking along very similar lines to MrBTH so far.
smile.gif

I had a thought that one of the main themes in Zooropa was contrast and contradiction... (MrBTH probably already mentioned this) it comes out (to me) on a whole range of levels, from the conflicting sounds in babyface (harsh guitar vs. tinkly chime things), to the contradictory lyrics in Numb (i'm sure there's at least one instance each of "Don't Lie" and "Don't Die", then you have "Lie, Die, Serve"), Bono's voice oscillating between falsetto and pained normal tones in Lemon, the stark contrast of Johnny Cash's voice to Bono's in general, not to mention the boppy synthetic backing to a dark and ominous song like The Wanderer...
That "What do you want" bit in Zooropa always reminded me of Babylon 5, and the Shadow's catch phrase... I know I'm a geek, but that made the whole thing that much darker and more threatening, to me.
In the middle of all that, The First Time seemed like a reprieve in an oasis, but we got right back into it with Dirty Day... I had another thought that Dirty Day might have had something to do with Bono's dad, and how they didn't always get along.. the first two lines so sound like what my parents and I were saying to each other when I was being a brat and we fought all the time. That "Love, won't last kissing time" maybe referring to Bono going through girlfriends like they were going out of fashion back at Mt Temple (which his dad probably wouldn't have approved of)... "Days... run away like horses over the hill", well they do, especially where family feuds are concerned, and someone can be gone before you've had a chance to make up.
I dunno, I haven't had the album long, but it's as open to interpretation as any of U2's albums.... possibly more. I love it, and I love what Mr BTH has written so far.
smile.gif

Hope this isn't too long!

MrBTH, that was absolutely brilliant. It is difficult to write about the impact and meaning behind music in a way that will get across, but you have done it flawlessly! Bravo!

I have had the same thoughts on a lot of the points you made, however you have sorted them out in a way that easily enables you to draw a connection between the themes. One example of what I mean..:

(begin quote)
"There's also a subtle reference to the opening of Achtung Baby in the line "Skip the subway, lets go... Overground". Zoo station used the metaphor of a subway journey to signal U2's "descent" (for want of a better word) into exploring the depths of trash culture, the darker realms as it were. Here the character seems to have had enough and is desperately trying to get out of the "mud"."
(end quote)

That is very insightful.. it definately makes sense, and Zooropa now appears to be a direct response to the descent into trash culture. I got that feeling all along, but your interpretation emphasizes a level of confusion which definately fits into the context. I'm interested to read what other thoughts you've got
smile.gif

Hello folks!
I'm working on the next installment of the Zooropa epic... Sorry it's taking so long! Next up is Numb and Lemon (the really tough one!)....
Later!

MrBTH:
I'm trying to connect Lemon to WOWY in another forum, but while I might not be successful there, I can try and help you with your analysis of the album, and Lemon, in particular.
I would say connect the line "She's going to dream up the world she wants to live in"
from Zooropa, with the idea of imagination, which I think is what the woman in yellow represents in Lemon. The singer wants to make this woman at night real during the day.
A little more detailed paragraph is in the WOWY lyrics forum, but I think my interpretation fits with your interpretation of what the album is trying to do.
Look forward to your thoughts,

Skyanin

There's another connection between AB and Zooropa, in the recurring line of "Dream out Loud"... occurs both in Acrobat and Zooropa... it's an exhortation in the former while in the latter it's become a woman's escapist fantasy...
I get the feeling from things like this that AB is the descent into the trash culture (that's no shock really), and Zooropa the reaction... (already been said) AB fully acknowledges the trash, while remaining harsh and cynical, trashing the trash, almost... Zooropa is like the trash culture is a drug and has just kicked in... it's more embracing, the cynicism is more deeply buried or perhaps washed away altogether...
Just my thoughts.
Can't wait to hear more MrBTH!
smile.gif

Just before we dive back into looking at Zooropa, Alisaura, you said that AB is "the descent into the trash culture" and "Zooropa the reaction", so I was just wondering where you think Pop fits in, if at all. Part of the theme, or completely separate?

I think *Pop* is taking a step back and laughing at it all... a mockery of the trash culture -- themselves included b/c they desceneded into it with AB... It's highly ironic and I love it!! Ofcourse, this question was for Alisaura -- sorry that I cut in!
smile.gif

MrBTH -- I can't wait to see what you could possibly say about Numb! Sounds like a challenge
smile.gif

I'm glad you did answer Bebe, cos I wouldn't have known what to say!
smile.gif

I don't actually own Pop yet, although I have heard it quite a few times (thanks to the listening library at Uni!). I love the album, it's just that I've been buying a lot of CDs lately (U2 of course!) and my life is a bit expensive right now... Anyway. It's on the list.
I think Bebe's answer is pretty good, that's probably what I'd say if I thought about it. They're having fun with the trash, making it their own... Something like Discotheque, funky and dancy as so much other stuff out there, but underneath all that it still really means something.
Then again... I think as well as the irony, there's a definate element of disillusionment and cynicism there, as is patently obvious in tracks like Mofo and Wake Up Dead Man... in this respect I sometimes think Pop has more in common with Achtung Baby than Zooropa. Please is a lament...
Playboy Mansion and Miami are definately ironic and fun-poking. I have no idea how IGWSHA fits in... well I kinda do, it's just not my favourite song on the album.
smile.gif

It would probably help if I'd seen the film clips or even the Popmart video... I've got a lot more out of the U2 songs I do know the videos of (the ones off AB, BD and Numb). Well, Numb is just funny.
biggrin.gif

I'm digressing again!
Tell ya what, once I buy Pop and can probe its convolutions, I'll do a MrBTH and post my feelings up here about it.
smile.gif

Achtung_Bebe: no worries about cutting in- question was open, and like Alisaura said, it was a good answer. I can see a progression in almost all of U2's albums except Pop. It just seems so outside the others. So the notion that they are stepping back and laughing at trash culture and themselves seems to fit pretty well.
Pop seems much more lighthearted and tongue in cheek (at least most of the album) than Zooropa, which feels almost bleak and depressing. I don't know: maybe both Pop and Zooropa are reacting against the music and style of Achtung Baby from different extremes: Zooropa's no nonsense criticism and Pop's playful satire.
Beats me. How clean of an analysis is this????

"Pop seems much more lighthearted and tongue in cheek"
Yes at the start, but the last three songs descend into a somber reality (and they are my favourite consecutive trio of songs on any u2 album). In fact the last three songs on Pop are so different to the early mood it is almost like a different album altogether.

While both discuss numerous themes, I think that the main difference is that Zooropa is more subliminal, while pop is in your face. The titles kind of set the scene...

I don't know if I would describe Zooropa as being "subliminal". I definetely agree that Pop is "in your face", but I think most of what Zooropa is trying to say and do is right there on the surface. It may be a little more subdued than Pop, but I don't think it goes so far as to be subliminal.

I also agree with your comments concerning the end of the Pop album. There is a radical difference from the first three songs (which have a pretty good chance at being my favorite consectutive trio of songs on a U2 album!) to the last three songs. The last three songs are not as "lighthearted and tongue in cheek" as how I described the album as a whole. But most of U2's albums end on somber or at least quieter notes: 40, MLK, Mothers of the Disappeared, Love is Blindness, ect.
Do you think the last three songs of Pop are just as in your face as the rest of the album, just darker and softer??

Maybe Zooropa is sort of obviously subliminal, if that makes sense... I can see where zoomerang II is coming from, calling it subliminal (I'm thinking mostly here of the radio static and random noises in the background).... plus the start of Zooropa (the song) is so dreamy and surreal... ack, I want to launch off but I wouldn't want to step on MrBTH's feet before he gets his analysis out.
smile.gif
He'll probably say what I'm thinking anyway, if his earlier effort is anything to go by.
Maybe cerebral is a better description?
I hadn't thought about the difference b/n the first and last 3 tracks on Pop before... the ones in the middle distracted me.
smile.gif
That's a huge difference though. I'd have to side with the last 3 as my favourite trio off that album at least... New Years Day/Like A Song/Drowning Man are up there contending the all time favourite. Then there's One Tree Hill/Exit/Mothers... hmm.
Must... stop... digressing!!
We are awaiting your wisdom MrBTH!
smile.gif

I think we're all thinking the same thing, but using different terms to describe it. How about audio (or musical) subtext? I think that's a good way to describe most of the sounds on Zooropa (Alisaura mentioned the radio static from the opening of Zooropa, I assume) and other sounds like the squelching at the beginning of Numb and the opening of Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car. I think they bring a deeper meaning to the lyrics in the songs.
In Pop, the beats, hums, pops, and other bright sounds tend to be more atmospheric than bringing a subtext to the lyrics. I'm not that familiar with the last three songs of Pop, so for those of you who are, does this theory work?

I agree, it?s the ancillary sounds that help zooropa out. In Pop the pure atmosphere brings home the meaning of the last three songs - but you must listen carefully - Needless to say there are many interpretations of what it all means, but I like to just group the words together to get the theme.
Sorry this should be elsewhere but this is how I feel when I listen anyway:

Velvet Dress. If you don?t like this song then you haven?t listened to it enough. Listen in silence and in the dark if you can, go to about 2:30, and for the next 45 seconds, it feels like you?re floating on a cloud, watching the world dissolving around you into your own space?(and if this is the music they play in eternity I?ll be more than happy)?velvet dress provides a sense of innocence and being assured: ?sunlight, water, moon, mirrorball, flickers, dissolve, its okay??

...then all of a sudden, after the peace, the sky grows darker, the clouds thicken and the anger and rage explodes - shards of glass, rain and thunder into Please and desperation at innocence lost: ?hard, tough, mount, stole, war, splinters, drain, spilling, capsizing?...

And then there is the sombre postscript, after the event with a heavenly scene and the immediate question begging - Why? How does something so powerful and dangerous follow something so serene? No answers only questions. And the innocence of knowledge is the question that defies an answer, leaving us all yearning for more??help me, circulation, peace, rhyme, are you, hum, hope, I know??You feel like you are left sitting naked in a bath when all the water has gone down the drain?

?If there?s order in all of this disorder, is it like a tape recorder? Can we rewind it just once more?? and that?s when I go back to velvet dress...

*clap clap clap*
Well said skyanin & zoomerang II... "squelching" on Numb... that's a cool way of putting it. I agree with everything.
smile.gif
Zoomerang, you got that trilogy right on the head. Wake up Dead Man is like a kick in the guts after Please... although there's something of the same spirit behind both (to my mind), WUDM is much more sort of... grating and cynical and harsh and raw, if I can use a word most people apply to the early stuff.
I wish I had Pop...

Zoomerang II, whenever someone takes the time to share their thoughts about a song, book, or movie, I always take the time to try out the song, book, or movie. So many people will listen to me rave about something in great detail, and then just go "oh yeah" and never do anything about it.
So I listened to Velvet Dress last night, and I quite enjoyed the beginning with all the soft whispers. Once Bono starts singing the main line "if you wear that velvet dress", it does lose me, though. I guess it sounds a lot like Jazz or blues to me, which are two forms of music that I don't enjoy.
However, tonight, I will listen to the final three songs on Pop, and see how they work in connection to what we've been talking about the sounds on Zooropa and Pop.

Alisaura, you must get Pop! It is worth the investment.

Skyanin

*beams* As of Friday afternoon, I am now the pround owner of a brand new shiny Pop! I picked up Wide Awake in America at the same time... got Pop SO cheap I couldn't believe it, half the regular price...
biggrin.gif

Does anyone else find the picture on the top of the Pop CD makes it stick to the CD player?! Maybe it's just me... or the bubblegum on Discotheque... *G*
So, beware... long rambling Pop analysis coming up soonish!!
(And I'm so completely in love with IYWTVD right now...)

Is the version of Bad on Wide Awake not the best live version of any of U2's live songs!!?? It blows me away every time I hear it. (and yeah, IGWSHA is pretty cool, especially towards the end when almost all the music stops and it's just Adam playing)

Whoops! Misread the initials of your post- I'm not into Velvet Dress yet, but maybe with the live version on the bside of the Beautiful Day singel...

[This message has been edited by skyanin (edited 10-09-2000).]

Yes, the live version of Bad on Wide Awake etc. is fantastic... it's restored some of the magic I discovered in the song when I first heard it... unfortunately it kinda fades when I hear it a lot...
smile.gif
But this version in brilliant.
hehe, that's quite funny cos I'm not really into IGWSHA yet...
biggrin.gif

Sorry to say, I was disappointed in Velvet Dress live on the BD single... I dunno if Bono's losing his memory but he didn't sing most of the lyrics!!
frown.gif
it was a huge leap straight from "it's her daylight that gets me through" to "the moon is a mirrorball" with a few "If you wear that velvet dress"s in between... ho hum.

I agree Ali, the live version starts of with a grungy feel and has SO much potential, but they kill it by skimming through and finishing it far too early. i still kind of like it though, I remember it was only when I saw IYWTVD live at popmart I thought WOW! and went back to the album version.

Zoomerang, did they play the mutilated version at all the shows, or the one you saw at least? If ever I'd be tempted to throw lemons at the band at a concert, it might have been then...
biggrin.gif
Of course I was blissfully ignorant of this song when they played PopMart within sight of where I live... *grr*

Yeah, the live version of IYWTVD is too short, but I think what I like about it is that the lyrics before the first "If you wear..." are audible. The album version sounds so soft. It also doesn't sound so jazzy on the live version which I prefer.

Hehe... I LOVE the soft beginning to the album version of Velvet Dress... it's SO sexy in the dark, turned up on headphones... Mmmmm...
smile.gif
And it's so yummy when Adam's bass throbs in...
Ahem.
biggrin.gif

Maybe we should start a Pop thread, what do you reckon Skyanin?

*pop thread good idea*

I think they did play the mutilated version (I saw them in helsinki - the best concert ever) but I wouldn't like to call it that - perhaps the u2 grungy velvet mini skirt mix!

Originally posted by Alisaura:

Maybe we should start a Pop thread, what do you reckon Skyanin?

I think that's a good idea. I've almost given up on MrBTH finishing what he's started.
If you would like the honours, you can start the thread. I check in every day or two, so if you haven't got one started, I'll get one going.
I like the way MrBTH started the Zooropa thread, going from the beginning and looking at both the lyrics and the sounds together. So we'll see...
(and I'll be giving IYWTVD another try, this time with the volume turned up up up
biggrin.gif

I think the baton needs to be passed. We need some brave soul to carry us through Numb and Lemon. I have lots of thoughts about Lemon which I've posted elsewhere, but if someone wants to look at Numb, I'll give my two cents on Lemon.

Back
Top Bottom