Yesterday at school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopTart Pamela

Acrobat
Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Australia
Tuesday 10th Dec was International Human Rights Day and seeing it was my turn for prayer at the morning briefing at the school where I work I decided to play Mothers of the Disappeared. I explained the history behind the song, particularly the title and also had printed copies of the words for everyone. Afterwards another teacher read the Amnesty Candle day prayer. At the end you could here a pin drop. The music just filled the room. It was so beautiful.
What a song!

Just thought Id share

I have just become the Social Justice Coordinator at the school, which has quite a high profile as it is a catholic school - see how Bono has changed my life. Love him!

Pamela

Last edited:
Whats a Social Justice Coordiantor?

We dont have any here.....i think

Lara, a Social Justice Coordinator at our school is the teacher who is responsible for a group of students involved in issues such as justice, peace and human righrts. This year there were about 150 students out of a school of 450 - not bad. We raised money for various Australian charities and were also involved in World Vision, Amnesty International and Jubilee Australia (debt relief)

A lot of hard work , but very rewarding

Pamela

Oh right thanks

In our school every year group helps give money to charity you dont really have a choice they make you give it

just wanted to say...

hello 2 U pamela . Thanks for taking on that extra responsibility at your school ( student pop. 450?That sounds nice.I'm used to 1200- it gets too over-crowded imho) You are inspiring a new generation to get involved and care.
Can I free my mind here a bit? don't want to get heavy, but kinda can't help it. I am at such a crossroads it feels, my boys almost grown into men now. I think my responsibility will still be to stay home, but I am looking around for employment options. Two things came up on the weekend, both growth industries here it seems. Geriatric dementia care (via the UPA, another story I want to tell) and youth crisis support work.This is the bit I wanted to get off my chest,it's a bit upsetting, be warned.
A friend brought around the 16 year old boy in her care yesterday for a Christmas visit, she'd told me about him already. His grandparents died recently and he has no family left. She is trying to teach him life skills so he can live independently.It's his legs that have upset me...he self-multilates, a behaviour he has to try to stop. I think I am too soft to cope with that. I feel so much compassion for him, but don't feel I could cope with the crisis moments. Heavy eh? sorry about that.
But it just makes me appreciate the relative stability I've had in my life and I certainly appreciate people like you, who have worked hard to make life better for the kids.
I seem to recall, when I first noticed you here, one of your sons was going overseas. My nephews adore London...I have to get over there somehow for a visit. One of them bought a home there, but I am surprised the other one can stay. I thought he would be home for Christmas( I know his mother hoped so) he has "the gift of the gab" and is now selling real estate over there. I can hardly believe what they have made of their lives from such humble beginnings.( proud aunt stuff)
Anyway I was thinking of you, last day of school ( and when I hear there are fires in those beautiful blue mountains)Enjoy your summer holiday to the utmost.Thanks for the things you do.
Best wishes to you and your family....from me and my family:hug: :wave:

hopefully to lighten up

I got here , via the "view new threads" function. I now realise I am in th emusical journey...so i cna relate it to music.
My friend who is carinng for the boy. is also the rory gallagher fan. I recently made her a video of the "From a whisper to a Scream" series. She played it for the boy and some U2 songs and writes it up in his report as part of his history lesson. He seems very bright....U2 can only help imho.
The concery for Nelson Mandela from Robben Island next year shall be a another good opportunity for education I think...but that's next year...you have a holiday first, rest and refresh.

Back
Top Bottom