Why Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiniFly

War Child
Why name an album Pop? I didn't get it when I first saw it, and you probably didn't either. However, I sat down and thought about this for a while, and I think I've come to some conclusions.

First, let's start with a definition of pop, lower case p. To me, "pop" is a hollow thing, it's there to make you, the listener, feel good for the duration of the song, and ultimately doesn't leave you with anything to hold on to, no gained knowledge or persepectives on life. This is why while pop can define a decade, like A-ha and Duran Duran etc did for the 80's, but good music can define an entire genre, generation or era.

Okay, Pop is masquerading as pop. Musically, it's not quite rock, but it's not "pop" as defined above. Pop is blatantly open about the shallowness and hollowness of pop culture.

Okay, time for some lyrics:

Do You Feel Loved. "Love comes pushing and shoving in the belly of a woman".
This song is about sex. Duh. However, this imagery at the end of the song is undoubtedly pregnancy. With the party atmosphere of the record, the dance beats and drum loops, this is probably not a good thing. The pregnancy is an unwanted consequence of the party, pop lifestyle of going out and dancing and having sex and stuff.

Gone is the artist's view and experiances while trying to cope, maybe unsuccesfully, with the pop lifestyle. That's what I think, anyway.

Okay, that's all I got for now. It's late and I'm tired. Add what you think!

For me, the album title Pop just sums up everything the band was trying to do at that point. They were making fun of Pop stars and the pop lifestyle, and having the title be Pop just adds to that whole thing...know what I mean?

It's kind of funny because you take a group like NSYNC, whose most recent album title is Pop...And they were actually playing that whole thing straight...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wertsie said:
For me, the album title Pop just sums up everything the band was trying to do at that point. They were making fun of Pop stars and the pop lifestyle, and having the title be Pop just adds to that whole thing...know what I mean?
That was even the actual reason for naming that album Pop. It should be a big laugh, but most people didn't got it. :rolleyes: Like when they wrote the next U2 album's gonna be a 'dance record' instead of a 'dense record'. :rolleyes: Poor Bono does have an Irish accent, so they should listen a bit better to what he tells! :angry:

I think it was more about pop culture replacing high culture, how so much art and music and literature had stopped striving for greatness and instead was just pandering. So U2 made an album that still tried to deal with all the major issues their music has always tackled (love, loss, war, morality, spirituality) but masked it behind this fluffy title and completely garish stage show. I totally dug the whole contradiction of Bono singing a song like Mofo or Please while dressed in spandex pants in front of a giant lemon.

dsmith2904 said:
So U2 made an album that still tried to deal with all the major issues their music has always tackled (love, loss, war, morality, spirituality) but masked it behind this fluffy title and completely garish stage show.

I agree. U2 was trying to take the whole irony thing further- they called the album Pop, but it was about very serious issues, not cheesy bubblegum stuff.

wertsie said:

It's kind of funny because you take a group like NSYNC, whose most recent album title is Pop...And they were actually playing that whole thing straight...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

satire is a difficult concept to grasp for many.

such is the reason for the huge backlash with zootv and popmart. pop moreso than zoo though, since pop was so much more satirical. and if you get (got) it, then you were laughing, if you didn't then...well i don't know, since i get it.

why POP? because it is so playful. it has so many meanings, so many connotations, some are cultural, some are personal. it's fun to play with misconceptions.

gotta love loving a band comprised of such intelligent people.

Giant Lemon said:

I agree. U2 was trying to take the whole irony thing further- they called the album Pop, but it was about very serious issues, not cheesy bubblegum stuff.

Just the fact that they opened the PopMart shows with "Mofo" shows how serious the album really was. Certainly it is a dance record, there is that rythm and funk to the music, but the lyrics go so far beyond all that, "Baby, baby, I need you" junk.

An albums name should not be important IMO.

But if you listen to the album some songs do have more electric type funky tunes- maybe u2 were highlighting the shallow-ness (not even a word) of Pop stars etc etc blarg i dunno what im trying to say :(

i'll just quote Lilly to finish off my non-sensical mumble cus i liked how she said it and im stoopid

why POP? because it is so playful. it has so many meanings, so many connotations, some are cultural, some are personal. it's fun to play with misconceptions.

:yes: :wink: :yes: :huh: :yes:

Lara Mullen said:
An albums name should not be important IMO.

But if you listen to the album some songs do have more electric type funky tunes- maybe u2 were highlighting the shallow-ness (not even a word) of Pop stars etc etc blarg i dunno what im trying to say :(

i'll just quote Lilly to finish off my non-sensical mumble cus i liked how she said it and im stoopid

:yes: :wink: :yes: :huh: :yes:

Hey, it's okay, Lara. I totally understand everything you said! :up:

Lara Mullen said:

my brain is dead today :)

we all have those days, i did get what you were trying to say there though.

i love pop. i think it is a cd i could listen to for 24 hours straight and only at the end would it make me nauseus.

:drool: so...many...meanings...:drool:

I think Pop was just u2's attempt to see what ppl would do. My dad was kind of shocked when it came out. He thought Achtung Baby was as edgy as they could get. Personally, I love Pop and I think it's one of their best records even if it seemed incomplete.

Back
Top Bottom