Who wrote so cruel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seconds

The Fly
I was listening to So Cruel and i started thiking. When listening to the lyrics, it brings up emotions of love, betrayal, a feeling of desperation of knowing you're losing someone you love. Something that most of us have felt atleast once in our life.

But this brought up a question. Who wrote the lyrics? I'm assuming Bono has never felt these emotions since he's been with the same person all of his life. So he doesn't actually know how these lyrics actually feel. Edge Probably felt this because of his divorce, but I don't think he wrote any lyrics in AB. And I can't see Edge telling Bono "Hey Bono, write 'Desperation is a tender trap It gets you every time' "

Maybe Bono had an affair and this is his how he felt after his mistress left him.

Or maybe I'm just way, way off.

Any ideas?

Both Bono and Edge have written every or close to every U2 on an album. Some songs on certain albums Bono wrote by himself and some songs Edge wrote on his own.

There is no song ON ANY ALBUM that a non member of U2 has written.

Hope that helps with your question

I don't think every lyrics represents their personal life.........just the feel of the album, and Achtung Baby and all the situations surrounding it were very difficult for them so you can see how it translates into songs like "Love is Blindness", "So Cruel" and even "One".

I also would say that all of Bono's lyrics do not pertain entirely to him, but also do not pertain to anyone else.

I think he has the ability to separate himself from his own life (Ali, love, loss etc. ) and simply write about emotion.

His songs need not be ABOUT anyone in particular, but the human emotion people feel during different times in their lives.

That is what makes him a genius songwriter...

Hmmm, well.....I don't think Bono is able to seperate himself entirely from his own life when writing lyrics. Probably partially, but never entirely. He said once that every song is very personal to him and that being a rocknroll star is a ridiculous thing because they are selfish and write about their own feelings and emotions. I can't believe he can write songs just because he has to do another 3 songs for an album - that would be very unlike him.

And: I'm assuming Bono has never felt these emotions since he's been with the same person all of his life. Well, I don't think one can say he has never felt such a feeling because we just know the good sides of his life: Ali, four children, long marriage. But since it is also speculated that Bono had affairs with various girls (models and also fans) it could be that he *has* felt that desperation is a tender trap.

I think Edge and Bono wrote the lyrics together. Edge could know a bit better what emotions there are when you lose a loved person, but I think Bono also knows a lot in these aspects.

ouizy said:
I also would say that all of Bono's lyrics do not pertain entirely to him, but also do not pertain to anyone else.

I think he has the ability to separate himself from his own life (Ali, love, loss etc. ) and simply write about emotion.

His songs need not be ABOUT anyone in particular, but the human emotion people feel during different times in their lives.

:up: well put

I think So Cruel is about being in love with someone and there not being reciprocity....and the way it leaves you feeling.

I think the whole album is about love and heartbreak. And a great album it is......

ouizy said:

I pretty much agree. A lot of songwriters write what seem to be really personal songs that are actually from the point of view of someone else, sort of like a character. Alanis Morissette did this quite a bit on "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" where she would be singing in the first person but the story would be from a man's point of view.
But I think that there has to be some sort of personal connection or attachment to that story or emotion for it to ring true, that even though it's not entirely about you there is some relatable aspect. I know that Bono has said that Edge's separation did have an influence on songs like "So Cruel" because it was there, it was something they were all witnessing and experiencing, so how could that situation not find its way onto the album?
Also, this is a U2 song and they are known to have many, many layers so it would be really hard to say that this song is meant as a direct message/response from one person to another.

Yeah it was supposed to be about Edges divorce. Best damn song ever written. It just goes to show you that there is beauty in pain

I believe I've read that Bono wrote about the entire lyrics to So Cruel in one evening

I can believe that

Back
Top Bottom