Who is the "Dead Man"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingPin

The Fly
I was wondering who you guys thought Bono was referring to in "Wake Up Dead Man"... I've heard arguments for many things, but just wanted you to share your thoughts...

Who is the Dead Man...

My understanding from not only hearing the song, but also from listening to Bono and Edge talk about the lyrics is that there's no hidden meaning at all. They were quite openly referring to Jesus, and the fact that the world needs him now.

yep,

thefly is right.
(with a name like you can't be wrong
biggrin.gif
)

The reason I asked is because it seems peculiar to me that Bono and Edge would refer to Jesus as Dead Man... because... if you remember Bono's quote: "God's not dead, Nietzche is."

I have heard some say that Dead Man is the general populace... others that he is referring to himself, and how he needs to wake up and start considering God again.

The most obvious subject to "Dead Man" is Christ, but the "listen to" bridge works really, really well if the subject is the listener, or Bono himself.

Just what we need... another ambiguous U2 song.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I agree Bubba that there was probably some ambiguity behind the lyrics, but I clearly recall them being quite open about the subject matter of that song in interviews. They told the public that they were referring to Christ.

(Salome... thanks... I kinda like that name too)

I do agree with Kingpin, U2 would never say God is dead, but "Wake up ..." also deals with the fact people sometimes feel God is just watching and not acting when some people go through horrible thing by none fault of themself.
So I do think "dead man" is refers to God.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Well riversteed that is what I was trying to say a few messages ago.

------------------
Salome

Riversteed and Salome, I agree with you guys. I think the lyrics are talking about the fact that the people who believe in Jesus do not feel his presence these days. The lines "Jesus, were you just around the corner / Did You think to try and warn her
/ Or are you working on something new" just say it.

Undoubtedly they are referring to Christ...

However, the songs seems to be a challenge. I don't think they are saying that Christ is dead in a real way, but are saying that his presence is not felt...he appears absent, making him seem dead. It is along the lines of David in the bible crying out to god. This song is simply U2s version of this.

Any comments?

" And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? " -- Matthew 27:46

This discussion has reminded me of this quote, and it offers some hope in that even Christ had a moment of dispair, a moment where He thought God had abandoned Him...

...and even then, God was there.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

the dead man Jesus. but the question then is why? surely bono doesnt think Jesus to be dead...

my take on it is simple. bono is mocking the world's view of God being dead and Jesus being nothing more than a good man who died as well.

------------------
the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didnt exist.

Well, as a Christian, Bono probably doesn't honestly believe that Christ is dead. He probably doesn't even believe Christ is figuratively "dead", that he no longer cares about or acts in the world we live in.

I think that the song is of feeling rather than belief, that Bono at that moment felt that Christ or God is no longer responsive to the world's problems. If I'm right, C.S. Lewis wrote that our beliefs don't usually fight against other beliefs but against feelings, emotions, and sensory experiences. There are times when even men of great faith don't "see" God.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

(Oh, and I haven't seen the Usual Suspects yet. Worth renting?)

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 07-12-2000).]

Achtung, your wisdom impresses me.
I do agree with most you are saying here, but I'm not sure Bono is expressing his own feelings. More and more people are asking themselves why God doesn't do anything about a lot of terrible things that happen in this world.
By the way you should rent The usual suspect. One of my favourite movies ever !!!

------------------
Salome

ah yes, jesus has left the building? even the boys themselves says this is one of the bleakest songs theyve written... not as much hope to be found as usual. like ending the album with mothers of the disappeared... or love is blindness. sometimes things are dark enough in this world you cant just be hopeful for the sake of being hopeful. things need to change. even U2 with all their flickers of light need to step back from that to send a message that needs to be sent.
i love U2.

Consider this...

Bono is writing from the position of Judas again, who is still stuck in some kind of limbo-ish hell, watching a world desicrating itself and its awesomeness, but at the same time not able to see the "born-again" Jesus.
Judas sees Jesus as just a guy, just another man... and he's saying "If you're so great, then WAKE UP DEAD MAN!", the ultimate doubter and dis-believer.

Or maybe its really Bono professing why he got outta that show anyhow. "They put Jesus in show business..."

Maybe old Bono doesn't beLIEve anymore.

i have two theories

1. I heard that Bono wrote the words of Drowning Man for Adam (which interestingly has references of with "wings like eagles" which comes from (Isiah?)- the bible) who (perhaps at the time) was the only "non christian" out of the four. Perhaps there is a personnal element to the lyrics - Wake up dead man could be a post script to Drowning Man, where the drowning man has died - maybe Bono has become the deadman himself. The band virtually started out as a committed christian entity, but after 20 years of commercial success maybe they need to be woken up to their own faith - a personal message of angst perhaps.

2. It interestingly follows "Please" on pop. Please being a frustrating plea for sanity to prevail in Northern Ireland...U2 with a vocal message. Deadman is the more personnal message of hope...u2 listening - as hope and peace try to rhyme

on the other hand this could be looking way to in depth and they just felt like making a song about some dead bloke

I definately do agree that the dead man is Jesus. I believe this song speaks about the need for answers and solutions to the problems that have rested on the world during "the century when God is supposed to be dead", as Bono once described it. You have to listen carefully to hear the answers through the craziness of the world... AMEN

The way I see the song is that Bono is having a discussion with Jesus. The song sounds desperate because there are times in our lives when we become so full of pain and sorrow that the only thing we have left is Jesus. Yet even though we know we must rely upon him we still harbor resentment, much like a spoiled child who is used to getting everything he/she wants. We throw it in Jesus' face " You are supposed to love me and watch over me, yet you let terrible things happen!" This is what I think Bono is talking about. Sometimes the world seems so dark and full of hate that it appears our savior is sleeping on the job.

2 thoughts.

1st - Jesus is the deadman. But I don't think for a second that bono thinks Jesus is dead. Most of Pop's tracks are pieces of conversations Bono's overheard. I think this is one of those examples, or at least the exploration of when you feel like God is gone and everythings gone to pot. And then you have to listen a little harder and you realise God is over you and He knows whats going on.

2nd - There are two voices in the song. God and the person complaining to God. I think God is talking back to the person in the 'listen to' section and also in the 'Wake up dead man' line. The Bible says people are dead in their transgressions, and Jesus came to save men from them. Wake them up from them. And also people need to wake up and realise that God is there. that is why the person needs to listen to the sound of the... -to find Truth in it.

Well it seems silly to offer my two cents at the end of such a great discussion but that has never stopped me before so here goes.
I believe that the dead man is Jesus but that Bono is writing a modern day lament Psalm. The first time I heard the song I began to cry because for the first time I understood the emotion in David's voice in Psalm 13. He just cries asking God how long God will keeps his face turned from him. That is what this song reminds me of. This song has become one of my favorite prayers and one I reguarly play when I am around other christians just so that we never forget the desperate and delicate situation we are in here on Earth. One again Bono has amazed me with his ability to be so real and faithful.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom