"When I look at the world" appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vivaSA

War Child
I think this is one of their lyrical materspieces and was obviously neglected by many. Therefore, this is a thread where we can really appreciate the beaty of this song (especcially the highlighted parts ;) )

"When I Look at the World"

When you look at the world
What is it that you see
People find all kinds of things
That bring them to their knees

I see an expression
So clear and so true
That changes the atmosphere
When you walk into the room

So I try to be like you
Try to feel it like you do
But without you it's no use
I can't see what you see
When I look at the world

When the night is someone elses
And you're trying to get some sleep
When your thoughts are too expensive
To ever want to keep

When there's all kinds of chaos
And everyone is walking lame
You don't even blink now, do you
Or even look away

So I try to be like you
Try to feel it like you do
But without you it's no use
I can't see what you see
When I look at the world

I can't wait any longer
I can't wait till I'm stronger
I can't wait any longer
To see what you see
When I look at the world
I'm in the waiting room
Can't see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
While the rest of us choke

Tell me, tell me, what do you see
Tell me, tell me, what's wrong with me

Yes, a great song, very uplifting and (like many U2 songs) feels like the lyrics were written for you personally! :)

maybe Bono would have some problem singing it. It has high notes... I love hear his voice almost cracking, but perhaps it's frustrating for a singer...

I love this song! One of my favorites from ATYCLB!

So how many of us does that make now? :wink:

These lyrics are quite :eyebrow: though

I can't see through the smoke

lady luck said:
... I love hear his voice almost cracking, but perhaps it's frustrating for a singer...

I think it's intentional, at least on the album cut of this song.

Best song on the album. It's this song and Kite that reassured me that they still have it. The guitar solo is so odd, but perfect, and definitive Edge.

none of my u2 lovin' friends agree with me, but i think it is one of the best on the album. i think that as far as playing it live i believe they have just done an semi-acoustic snippet on the elevation tour.

Better late than never... I love This song. Its a great song. There are very few U2 songs that are throwaways...theyre all pretty great in their own way.

I'm so glad this thread is here. I was just reliving my love affair with this song last night. I, too love the intro, Edge's guitar work and ache in Bono's voice when he starts the chorus.

Who do you suppose he's referring to?

Actually I never really liked this song.

Then I decided to listen to ATYCLB all the way through one day. Ralized it was an absolutely fantastic song.

It's all I've been playing since then.

One of my favorites off ATYCLB.

"So I try to be like you, try to feel it like you do"
"But without you it's no use, I can't see what you see"
"When I look at the world"

:bow: :bow:

Zootlesque said:
I love this song! One of my favorites from ATYCLB!

So how many of us does that make now? :wink:

These lyrics are quite :eyebrow: though

I can't see through the smoke
I think the song is about a great/inspiring/beautiful person. (Probably Ali for Bono, or even God)

If you remember the line before that, its,
"I'm in the waiting room, (You know, gates to heaven or whatever)
Can't see for the smoke, (A lot of traditional images of the "waiting room" to heaven have it very smoky or in the clouds)
Think of you and your holy book, (But this person is a perfect person, who has already gotten into heaven)
While the rest of us choke." (And everyone else is still stuck outside waiting.)

Its a kind of a bitter love song if you ask me. The narrator is so in love with this person, but at the same time he's incredibly jealous of their perfection. Ideolising them yet scorning them at the same time.

On the other hand it could be a spiritual song, in the same sort of tone as Wake Up Dead Man, except not so accusatory, and more a sort of hopeless plea. The idea that maybe God/Jesus should be doing more for us, that he/she has all this great knowledge but won't share it with us.

Well, I managed to include God, Ali, love and religion. Usually pretty safe bets for U2 songs. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom