Whats Stay About?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baker6621

War Child
I'm not sure what this beautiful song is about. For me, it's just about something that can change because you stay 5 more minutes, one more night, etc. It's also about a guy who's lost in the game of love (you don?t smoke/you don?t even want to) and that he's doing new things he's never done before. I love this song. I'm probably 100% wrong on the intrep. but remember that is just for ME and it won't really change.

Whats the truth behind it? Thanks. GREAT lyrics by the way.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

I think they did this song for a Wim Wenders film. I read something about the song in a book, but I can?t recall any details. I?ll check & see if I can find it again.

am

------------------
~ I could easily give up choclate but I'm not a quitter~

For me, Stay has always been about a one night stand in particular, and yearning in general, if that makes any sense at all...
I don't know what it was intended to be about, but that is what I take away from the lyrics...
GREAT song
smile.gif

It was written to go with a Wim Wenders film called "Faraway So Close" that had something to do with an angel falling to earth for a mortal or something to that effect. (haven't seen the movie myself). In the Flanagan Bible the writing of the song is described. Flanagan was hanging around the studio when Bono came up with the lyrics. I believe it started off as another song called Sinatra (the music) and then Bono (doing a typical Bono thing) just started making up lyrics on top of it one evening. arg...wish I had the book in front of me.

-sula

It was written for the film, "Faraway So Close", true. That's where the title came from and where the title line came from, but the song's story has little to do with the plot of the film. I think Bono wrote the lyrics based on what he knew about the film, but created his own scenerio in which to write about this angel and the mortal he loves. My interpretation: In the song, the angel is just a goodnatured human, who loves another person. The object of affection doesn't feel the same way as the "angel" and the angel is ultimately rejected and thus "hits the ground".

I think I read something a while ago that said this was another song Bono wrote about Greg Carrol. I just remeber reading about how the "you stop in for a pack of cigarettes" part was how Greg went to get Bono some cigarettes, and "dressed up like a car crash" obviously because of the accident he was involved in. I wish I could remember where I read this, then maybe I'd be more help.

Originally posted by mocool12:
I think I read something a while ago that said this was another song Bono wrote about Greg Carrol.

One tree hill is about Greg Carrol. Stay is about angel who want to go earth, but have to become mortal again in order to be able to do that. It?s more about things you have to do and the price you have to pay for it.

------------------

AM- I know One Tree Hill was written for him, I was just saying that I read it somewhere else that Stay was written about him. I'm not saying it's true, I just was wondering if anyone else had heard that story. It's pissing me off how I can't remember where I read it! Ah well. Most of everyone's interpretations sound similar to what I thought when I heard this song. Wasn't the video based on the theme of the angel trying to return to earth?

Originally posted by mocool12:
Wasn't the video based on the theme of the angel trying to return to earth?

I think so. At least there are some shots where there is a band playing and B, E, A & L are sitting/standing next to them trying to assist/inspire or whatever.
smile.gif
It?s a beautiful video, very special.

------------------

I definitely think Stay is about that whole "City of Angels" thing where in the Video bono falls to the ground on the 'just a bang and a clatter as an angel hits the ground' line. He becomes mortal like Nick Cage because he is in love with that chick. But once again I like to see the lyrics and song about something more universal. Maybe its about a man who is unable to express himself or express his love for this woman. And he spends his days watching her go to the "7-11" and get a "pack of cigarettes" while he wonders what it would be like to be at her side always. But at the end he decides to "fall" and communicate to her his undying love.
I don't know. Maybe. Sounds pretty flakey, huh?

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Originally posted by tackleberry:
I definitely think Stay is about that whole "City of Angels" thing where in the Video bono falls to the ground on the 'just a bang and a clatter as an angel hits the ground' line. He becomes mortal like Nick Cage because he is in love with that chick. But once again I like to see the lyrics and song about something more universal. Maybe its about a man who is unable to express himself or express his love for this woman. And he spends his days watching her go to the "7-11" and get a "pack of cigarettes" while he wonders what it would be like to be at her side always. But at the end he decides to "fall" and communicate to her his undying love.
I don't know. Maybe. Sounds pretty flakey, huh?

I agree, tackleberry. I've never seen Faraway, So Close, but it sounds like it has an incredibly similar plot to City of Angels. Was CoA based on it or something? Anyway, as far as a universal interpretation of the song goes, I see it as a case of unrequited love. The singer is in love with the subject of the song and sees that she's depressed and in a bad, possibly abusive ("and when he hits you, you don't mind") relationship. The singer believes that he'd be better for her, but she doesn't love him back or care about him("and if you look, you look through me...and when I touch you, you don't feel a thing"). Just my thoughts!

Alright, so last night at home I pulled out my book and found the story about how the song was written. I've typed it out here. Enjoy!
smile.gif

from Bill Flanagan's U2 - At the End of the World:
Edge and Larry go off to make some tour rulings and Bono returns his attention to the track-in-progress. A TV monitor has been rolled in and he switches on a sequence from Wim Wender's film-in-progress, a sequel to Wings of Desire to be called Far Away, So Close! The scene is of an angel high above Berlin, looking down and contemplating earth. The angel leaps from his perch, trading divinity for mortality. As we watch, Flood plays back "Sinatra", a moody instrumental track. Bono starts singing along: "Green light, 7-eleven/You stop in for a pack of cigarettes/You don't smoke, don't even want 'em/Check your change."

It's haunting, unfixed and floating. Bono asks what I think and I tell him I think it's real good. He tries out some more lines. He sings, "And if you hit me, I don't mind/'Cause when you hurt me I feel alive." Then he says it might be better if he changed the perspective to: "And if he hits you, you don't mind."
Yeah, I say, that's a lot more concrete. Conversationally the you in the first version sounds like one. Changing it to he hits you makes it vivid. Together with a line that says this victim is "dressed up like a car crash" you're creating a real character. I tell Bono that it makes me think of the only gay kid in a small town. He says he's imagining a woman, not a homosexual, but it's great if it can be read in different ways. He sits on a couch in the control room and sings into a hand-held microphone, leaning forward to put all his emotion into it, squeezing his eyes shut, raising his arm on key lines. Bono singing on the studio couch does not act very different from Bono singing to a football stadium. He tries recording it twice, over two different versions of the backing track, one slow and moody, the other faster and more forceful.

Singing to the harder backing track, he decides that the song is no longer about Wender's angel, so he should change one line of the chorus, which is now, "Stay - as the angel hits the ground." What's a bigger line? He solicits suggestions stopping on "Stay and the night will be enough." He says the song is now strong enough to carry that. He sings the chorus with that phrase, trying it in different spots, from the first line of the chorus to the last. When he sings it as the conclusion, he really makes it a big declaration, raising his right hand in the air and wailing, "Stayyy - and the night will be enough."

Flood is wary of melodrama; it's getting a bit romantic for his tastes. When Bono tries singing, "Stay - with your secrets sleeping rough," Flood puts his foot down. Secrets is one of the words that causes his bathos detector to vibrate. As the song takes on a more grand character Bono makes small adjustments in other lyrics. In order to get in Wender's title he has the line, "Far away, so close, up with the static and the radio waves." He had said "radio waves" in order to be deliberately unromantic, but now that the song's heading the other way, he will drop the word waves and sing the more Van Moorisonish, "Up with the static and the radio."
. . . .
Edge comes in to hear what Bono's accomplished on "Sinatra". He listens, approves, and they fool around with a fade-out melody, ba ba ba-ing it over the ending. . . .

Edge leaves and Bono keeps putting down tracks, changing the lyrics slightly each time. He tells Flood to change the listed title of the song to "Stay," from "Sinatra." Although, he considers, he ought to try to get some reference to Wim's film in there. He decides to call it "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)."

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula, thanks so much! And thanks for the responses...I didn't know there would be this much. Thanks a lot. I love getting different views and stuff. I forgot about the Wim Wenders film for a sec.

'If I could Staaaaaaaaaaaaay'....

What a powerful song!

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

City Of Angels IS Faraway, So Close. Same story, just Americanised and given that Nic Cage/Meg Ryan box office punch. I haven't seen either, but Stay is (obviously, the songs full name is Stay - Faraway, So Close) made for that movie, it's on it's soundtrack as well.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
City Of Angels IS Faraway, So Close. Same story, just Americanised and given that Nic Cage/Meg Ryan box office punch. I haven't seen either, but Stay is (obviously, the songs full name is Stay - Faraway, So Close) made for that movie, it's on it's soundtrack as well.

So it is the same movie! It's kinda funny that "If God Would Send His Angels" is on the City of Angels soundtrack- "Stay" would've obviously been a much better fit but I guess they couldn't exactly put the same song on the soundtracks of essentially the same movie.

Did Bono really say that famous quotation?????

Back
Top Bottom