What your BEST LINE EVER from a U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Here's mine:

"I am yourself in someone else, go find yourself in me." --- Love Comes Tumbling

Hi J - great song! Often when I think of Love Comes Tumbling I think of it's kind of 90s counterpart - Slug. I like the line: "Stay tonight in a lie. I'm asking but I......I think you know." Also:"Barbed wire fence cut me down. I'd like to be around. In a spiral staircase to the higher ground. And I - like a firework - explode. Roman candle lightening lights up the sky." Wow - this can be tough stuff. So many great lines. And now I'll go and pull out The Unforgettable Fire CD.

"This desperation,dislocation,separation,condemnation,revelation in temptation,isolation,desolation, to let it go, and so to fade away... "I absolutely love Bad, but that line just screams out to me about so much: How there can be absolute joy at something terrible,and vice versa, how a person can be feeling all of that at once and the desire to let it all go, and so to fade away. I had to crib that line, oh well. All of U2's lyrics are amazing, but especially that.

Last edited:
U2girl91289 said:
That probably makes no sense to anyone.

except me

makes perfect sense to me...Bad has been a favourite of mine at the moment for those words...

At the moments One line that stands out to me would be:

My heart is where it's always been
My head is somewhere in between

this one rocks

"her skin is pale like gods only dove
screams like an angel for ur love
then she makes u watch her from above
and u need her like a drug"

amazing.
he captured that very essence....

very very tough, but i keep coming back to:

"september, streets capsizing, spilling over and down the drain, showers of glass, splinters like rain, but you can only feel your own pain. October talk getting nowhere, november, december, remember, we'll just start it again, please" - PLEASE

that or else:

"in the wind we hear their laughter, in the rain we see their tears, we hear their heart beat, we hear their heartbeat" - MOTHERS OF THE DISAPPEARED

hope i got them right! :wave:

The end lines sang by Adam at the end of Blue Room..

Zooming In
Zooming Out
Nothing i can do without
A lens to see all up close
Maginified what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No Celluar phone

:adam:

jick said:
Here's mine:

"I am yourself in someone else, go find yourself in me." --- Love Comes Tumbling

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the correct line...

"Find yourself in someone else, don't find yourself in me" ?

It's a great line - and it also makes it's way into Always, but slightly altered

"Don't find yourself in someone else"

ANYWAY

My fav line just happens to be

"I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky, and the moon has turned red, over One Tree Hill"

Sad, but hopeful. I've got a few people that I think about when I hear that line.

Re: Re: What your BEST LINE EVER from a U2 song?

One Tree Still said:
ANYWAY

My fav line just happens to be

"I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky, and the moon has turned red, over One Tree Hill"

Sad, but hopeful. I've got a few people that I think about when I hear that line.

I like that line, as well as the lines before that-pure poetry, that verse.

Angela

One Tree Still said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the correct line...

"Find yourself in someone else, don't find yourself in me" ?
You almost got it! Just one word off. It's actually this:

Hide yourself in someone else
Don't find yourself in me

This is probably the greatest line Bono has ever come up with:

To take a cup
To fill it up
To drink it slow
I can't let you go
I must be an acrobat
To talk like this
And act like that

I love the metaphor duality he's playing with. The cup can signify holy communion, and thus the blood of christ, therebye becoming a metaphor for Bono's faith. It can also signify his romantic love for a particular person. And here's the real kicker: In either case, he needs to drink from the cup to be saved, but the paradox comes in to place because he doesn't want to let go of the faith/relationship by drinking it all. This is why he drinks "it slow" -- because he "can't let [it/her] go" -- and thus the paradox in the form of being "an acrobat" who has to "talk like this, and act like that."

Of course, I've barely touched the tip here.

Very cool lyric indeed.

Last edited:
Personally, I love;

"We thought that we had the answers/It was the questions we had wrong" - 11 O'clock Tick Tock

Whenever I'm in a difficult situation, those lyrics always come to me.

The entire lyrics to Bad and A Sort Of Homecoming are spectacular. Whenever those songs come on, I either can't help but sing along (when I'm alone) or desperately want to sing along but know that the people I'm with may get permanent damage done to their ears by my terrible singing ability!

A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle

I was drowning my sorrows but my sorrows they learned to swim

you're a headache, in a suitcase

every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

will we ever live in peace? those who can't do, often have to

"And hardness, it sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin

I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore
I want you to know
You don't need anyone
(Or) anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you?
Who's to say what it is will break you?
I don't know, which way the wind will blow" - Kite

Genius

One Tree Still said:

God I love that line. Always makes me think about my dad, who died 5 years ago.

Last summer I went travelling and spent a couple of weeks in Auckland. I made the trip up One Tree Hill on my last day there. It was a really special day - not too hot, beautiful light with lots of long shadows. There's lots of winding paths that take you around the hill. I just wandered around, lost in my own thoughts. I had that song on repeat, and even though I'd heard that song so many times before, I swear I didn't truly get it until listening to it sitting on top of One Tree Hill, thinking about my dad, and thinking about the journey I was taking - the places I had been, the places I was going to, and the 'spiritual journey' that I was taking.

Sorry to be so naff. But that's what it was like for me. It really gives me a tingle to think back to it. And it's great, because every time I listen to that song now, that feeling comes back. Ah, memories. :sigh:

"I and must be an acrobat to talk like this and act like that"

"I love you cause i need to... not because I need you,
i love you cause i understand that God has given me your hand"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom