What is the "yellow line" in Hands that built...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mister Nice

Babyface
"It's early fall. There's a cloud on the New York Skyline."

If that refers the the WTC attacks, then what does "Innocence dragged across a yellow line" mean?

I don't think that refers to the WTC attacks.
Hands That Built was written as a soundtrack for the movie Gangs of New York, which is about the gang wars in 19th century New York. It's more likely that the lyrics are referring to those wars.

Yellow line can refer to the yellow tape that police place at an accident or crime scene.

tackleberry said:
I would bet 1 billion dollars that that line is in reference to 9/11 - there is even a reference to the WTC at the end of the movie...

Do you have one billion dollars to bet? :eyebrow:

Song lyrics can be interpreted as anything, as long as you back up your theory with proof then your idea is credible.
So to be honest their are no right or wrong answers when it comes to stuff like this. Songs mean different things to different people.

*Edited because I can't type to save my life*

Mister Nice said:
"Innocence dragged across a yellow line"
Is that the real lyric? :huh: I thought it was "In a sense, dragged across a yellow line."
My interpretation was that the cloud was floating across the sky, and it kinda looked like it was following the sun. :shrug:

(I have a strong feeling I'm wrong though, cos I also thought that the line "Innocent and in a sense I am" in Wire was "Innocent and innocence I am.")

I think that the five points in new york might have been separated by a line. Don't know if it was yellow though.

Back
Top Bottom