What is "Please" about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squid

The Fly
Okay, can anyone tell me what "Please" is about? I have heard many people say that it's a political song in the vein of "Sunday Bloody Sunday", but I just can't figure it out. An explanation?

I guess the short answer would be that it is about the troubles in Ireland. I don't have the lyrics with my, but say the line 'Get up off your knees now...please'. That might be a pleed to Ireland to pick itself up from their struggles and overcome them. I'll try to look at the lyrics later and get back to you.

its about northern ireland. in general, possibly that "love" is a bigger thing than than religion and bombs and politics, and we should learn from our history.
more specifically, theres mentions of

your catholic blues, your convent shoes (both refer to the religous problems)

your stick on tattoos (as worn by terrorists)

your holy war, your northern star (obvious..)

your sermon on the mount from the boot of your car (biblical reference (mount of olives i guess) and jab at probably ian paisley)

theres also refs. to peace talks getting nowhere, bomb blast damage

im sure theres many bigger deeper meanings but far be it from me to point out any more than the obvious.

I remember reading somewhere that the "Get up off your knees" was a knock at how religion and other forms of worship influence peoples actions!! Any thoughts?

'Streets capsizing'
'Splinters like rain'

More bombing damage references. I think this is one of the best songs on POP and the live performance on the mexico video is awesome...

------------------
Is it getting better? Or do you feel the same?

actually,
this song is also about Michael Hutchence

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 03-12-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom