What happened to the desert plain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's always messing with lyrics .... sometimes even on purpose!

If you let it annoy you that much, you're just going to turn into a giant ball of rage, and no one wants to be around giant balls of rage.

If you let it annoy you that much, you're just going to turn into a giant ball of rage, and no one wants to be around giant balls of rage.
I don't usually. But this particular one just sounds so... stupid.

I always loved the "desert plain" line...it fits in so well w/the general them of the record.

Having said that, Bono was never happy w/the lyrics to Streets (though I never understood why), and as Cori correctly pointed out, he's always messing about with them live, and this one seems to be one of his favourites for that.

I am probably totally wrong, but I've thought for a while on the last tour Bono tried to move the song from a more specific story of the desert/Africa and his time in Ethiopia with his wife (high on the desert plain) that originally inspired the lyrics to a more broad/universal view of the lyrics to be more about God/heaven instead....

Personally I prefer the original lyric better.

Actually, I like the "with no sorrow or pain" line from the Elevation tour better than the original...

Random inquiry for the day.

In streets nowadays, Bono says

"I'll show you a place, that's high... high... where the streets have no name"

Am I the only one who's really annoyed by this?

Actually, I really liked when he sang it like that. For me, there was something kind of freeing about it. Hard to explain, but I liked it. :)

I love the delivery of that line on the album version so it bugs me as well sometimes. I don't see the point of changing it either...

This happened to me when listening to Bono sing "and I know the truth about you... shhhhh" instead of "she cat" on An Cat Dubh on the Chicago DVD.

I think he sings "desert plain" sometimes though..?

:lol:

Bono should cover 'Because I Got High'.

Seriously though, that line is so nice on the album. Wonder why he changed it live.

:lol: I love that song. Still have the CD single.

I always thought it was Dessert shame, as looking at the size of Bono now he feels bad he eats so much dessert. :| Sorry couldn't resist

I think it helps make the song more inclusive and less specific in regards to subject matter which fit it's well earned role in their live show as the one song they cannot - not - play.

Random inquiry for the day.

In streets nowadays, Bono says

"I'll show you a place, that's high... high... where the streets have no name"

Am I the only one who's really annoyed by this?

Actually he is doing something which Jim Morisson of the Doors once did
many years earlier.
He puts emphasis on and repeats the word "High" or "higher" - this word can have many meanings in a song or story.

research what I am talking about ,
and you will understand perfectly why Bono was trying to imitate Jim Morrison.

Where the Streets Have No Name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The lyrics were inspired by a story that Bono heard about the streets of Belfast, Northern Ireland, where a person's religion and income are evident by the street they live on.[13] He contrasted this with the anonymity he felt when visiting Ethiopia and said, "the guy in the song recognizes this contrast and thinks about a world where there aren't such divisions, a place where the streets have no name. To me, that's the way a great rock 'n' roll concert should be: a place where everyone comes together... Maybe that's the dream of all art: to break down the barriers and the divisions between people and touch upon the things that matter the most to us all."[14] According to him, the song is ostensibly about "Transcendence, elevation, whatever you want to call it."[15] Bono, who compared many of his lyrics prior to The Joshua Tree to "sketches", said that "'Where the Streets Have No Name' is more like the U2 of old than any of the other songs on the LP, because it's a sketch—I was just trying to sketch a location, maybe a spiritual location, maybe a romantic location. I was trying to sketch a feeling."[13]

Elevation...high, high, high.

Let's face it, Bono getting the lyrics right in any song would be an achievement lol

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom