What does the song "Dirty Day" refer to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewdawg

Babyface
What does the song "Dirty Day" refer to?

I believe U2 dedicated this song to somebody in the liner notes on Zooropa, but was never able to figure out what the song was about. Its been buggin me for a long time. Does any one know?
confused.gif

The song is dedicated to Charles Bukowski. That is also the page in the notes that has the standard "Join Greenpeace" and "Join Amnesty International" messages. I guess it's that type of song, like Please or Sunday Bloody Sunday.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I think it is supposed to be a sort of father and son discussion. With the father giving his soon advice or whatever they are talking about. I know one source of inspiration was a guy that Bono knew who lived in LA. I forgot his name, I think it explains it in the Into the Heart book about U2's songs. I do know the phrase "Horses over the hills" was taken from something as well. Hope this helled a little.

------------------
Peace out and take care!
-Jason

P.S. "Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no-one is watching." - U2

Listen closely to the whole song again. I always thought that Dirty Day was about the day Christ was crucified. The "Father" in the song is God. "Looking for someone to blame...throw a rock in the air you'll hit someone guilty". Always thought that was a reference to all of us being responsible for what happened 2000 years ago. Anyone else see this theme in the song?

I can tell you this much. Yes it's dedicated to the poet Charles Bukowski and if you've ever read any of his stuff you'll see that the lyrics to Dirty Day are very much in the style of Charles Bukowski: somewhat rambling but very eloquent line for line, kind of like an articulate drunk.

Anyway, this was around the time when Bono was doing inductions for Frank Sinatra and Bob Marley (for the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and The Rock Hall of Fame respectively) and the speeches he gave for each of these icons were also very much in the Bukowski style - and were extraordinarily cool!

Hope that helped.

that's SOOOO weird...i was just gonna post this question
biggrin.gif

i figured it had something to do with the notes on the side...
i love that part " From father to son, In one life has begun, A work that's never done..." i just close my eyes and the whole world seems to stop for a second...

------------------
You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you get to like the way it feels...

I definitely think it's about Christ. The "Father to Son" part.....the guilty references......then, most importantly, the line that says, "I'm in you more so when they put me in the ground." I think this is profound! Jesus is more in you when he was crucified and buried (like we are when we die to ourselves and come alive in Jesus). Then, directly after this, they sing over and over, "those days, days, days run away like horses over the hill." I think Bono's referring to the guilty days as being gone and done with. The sacrifice on the cross erases that.

Sean T. Kirkland

Back
Top Bottom