What does Edge sing in Ultraviolet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go listen to the Rotterdam and Dublin 1993 bootlegs. If you can hear anything but Ultraviolet there you are completely deaf. :|

"Ultraviolet Light."

Washington is the perfect example of this since you can see the video too. There's no doubt about it.

Oh wait, I'm deaf, that's right.

People are hearing what they want to hear, and no one (even the Edge himself, apparently) can convince some of you otherwise.

On the album version it always sounded like "ultraviolet rays" to me.

I'm not saying that's what it actually is, don't want to start a war in here or anything...

Fine, ignore my reasons twice.

I'm sure he changed it on a whim and goes back and forth between one phrase and the other, completely changing the pronunciation of the key word, but only acknowledged that he did it the album way? Why would he possibly change the entire pronunciation of the word live from the album...? And then go back to the album version the next time they play it live...? I'm sorry, but it makes little to no sense for him to do that.

Edge: "Hey, let's do a record. I'll sing 'Ultra-vi-oh-le-et' on it and tell everyone that's what I'm singing, but on ZooTV I'll sing it 'Ultra-vilet-light' to create confusion in a live setting."

Bono: "But how will you sing it in 17 years?"

Edge: "Well, to create more confusion, I'll revert to the album version and sing 'Ultra-vi-oh-le-et'. [smirks] That'll really befuddle some of the people on our fan sites."

:doh: People! Go get a hobby or something and stop discussing this pointless matter so seriously! It is of no use to you in real life. Geez!

I think sometimes they sing "Ultraviolet Land" as well. This song is so much more about how you sing then what you are singing IMHO. I think they change lyrics pretty frequently depending on how they feel.

I just enlisted the help of my un-biased sister on the matter... when I played the album version of Ultraviolet for her in the car, she thought it was "Ultraviolet wave".

IF YEW DONT HEER THAT THAN U R RONG.

Dude, if you honestly hear "ultraviolet love" there? You definitely need a trip to the ear doctor.

Yes, I guess I do need a trip to the doc's office. Oh and yeah, I must be blind too because I see his lips move to what I'm hearing. Jeez, what ever happened to just having an open discussion about topics and not having people attack each other... jeez. Those are the ones that NEED to get a life. :blahblah::blahblah::gah::fist::fist:

Yes, I guess I do need a trip to the doc's office. Oh and yeah, I must be blind too because I see his lips move to what I'm hearing. Jeez, what ever happened to just having an open discussion about topics and not having people attack each other... jeez. Those are the ones that NEED to get a life. :blahblah::blahblah::gah::fist::fist:

Having an open discussion on this matter is like a mathematician saying "2+2=4" but someone watching a video of him repeating himself later on hears it as "2+2=5". And then when someone asks him to clarify this, he says, "2+2 does actually = 4" but the person who heard 5 decides that 5 used to be the answer, but over time the answer itself must've changed. It's just as frustrating on my side as it is on yours. :crack:

I'm sure he changed it on a whim and goes back and forth between one phrase and the other, completely changing the pronunciation of the key word, but only acknowledged that he did it the album way? Why would he possibly change the entire pronunciation of the word live from the album...? And then go back to the album version the next time they play it live...? I'm sorry, but it makes little to no sense for him to do that.

Edge: "Hey, let's do a record. I'll sing 'Ultra-vi-oh-le-et' on it and tell everyone that's what I'm singing, but on ZooTV I'll sing it 'Ultra-vilet-light' to create confusion in a live setting."

Bono: "But how will you sing it in 17 years?"

Edge: "Well, to create more confusion, I'll revert to the album version and sing 'Ultra-vi-oh-le-et'. [smirks] That'll really befuddle some of the people on our fan sites."

This post makes absolutely no fucking sense. Why would he have motivation to create confusion? I never implied that. What the fuck are you talking about?

Having an open discussion on this matter is like a mathematician saying "2+2=4" but someone watching a video of him repeating himself later on hears it as "2+2=5". And then when someone asks him to clarify this, he says, "2+2 does actually = 4" but the person who heard 5 decides that 5 used to be the answer, but over time the answer itself must've changed. It's just as frustrating on my side as it is on yours. :crack:

This post just makes you look like a fucking dick. Seriously? Someone disagrees with you and they're saying "2+2=5"?

This post just makes you look like a fucking dick. Seriously? Someone disagrees with you and they're saying "2+2=5"?

Disagrees with me? Not at all.

Someone disagrees with the songwriter as to what the lyrics he sings are is. :shrug: There's a difference.

If an interference member hadn't confirmed the lyric with the Edge himself, I wouldn't still be talking about this, nor would I have used such an example. As someone did, it's a valid example.

Hey, you're saying it, if you feel an optometrist's appt is in order, by all means. His lips don't make the necessary movements for what you are alleging.

Amen, this does make him look like a dick. What are we? fricking 8? Jeez...:fist:

What I don't get is why you are still fighting for a position noone agrees with you on?

Not even phillyfan hears what you hear in that video you provided (if I'm not mistaken phillyfan). Do you alone have super sonic hearing or something and we're all hopelessly deluded? Cmon!

I'm all for open discussion. The problem is that it's you who isn't open to anyone else telling you that you might - just might - be wrong here.

I was the first one to answer in this thread, I said it was "ultraviolet love", then nobody seemed to agree with me, well ok, it doesn't matter, it's not so important, it doesn't change anything, not even the meaning of the song, there are many more important things we all have to face every day. Peace on Earth!

gvox this video is amazing, do you know which show it is part of? It's Europe by sure and it reminds me of Barcelona2, but I'm not sure when I look at the stadium. Thanks for posting it.
Oh, yes, Bono sings ultraviolet, Edge I'm not so sure, but as I said before it's not that important, at least for me.

Disagrees with me? Not at all.

Someone disagrees with the songwriter as to what the lyrics he sings are is. :shrug: There's a difference.

If an interference member hadn't confirmed the lyric with the Edge himself, I wouldn't still be talking about this, nor would I have used such an example. As someone did, it's a valid example.

I'm not disagreeing with the songwriter as to what the lyrics are. I'm disagreeing that he has used the exact same lyric in every performance of the song. Why? Because I can watch and listen to ZooTV performances and clearly tell he's saying "Ultraviolet light." I can tell the differences between the album version of the 360 version.

Bono changes his lyrics in live performances all the time, too. If you asked him the lyrics to a song, he'd probably tell you the album version.

You guys know better than to resort to name-calling.

This thread is long done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom