Wait what????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dettersree

The Fly
So today I was go I honing thought some old u2 albums (aka all of them:sexywink:) and I just noticed some song lyrics that I didn't before.

1.) Like a fish needs a bicycle. I know it's a quote from a politician but what does it mean?
2) A mole, living in a hole Digging up my soul Going down, excavation. I get this one a bit better but still confusing.
3) the whole song an cat dubh. My friend tried explaining it and it confused me more.:doh:
4) Love is blindness I don't want to see Won't you wrap the night Around me? Oh my heart Love is blindness In a parked car In a crowded street You see your love Made complete Thread is ripping The knot is slipping Love is blindness. I think I have an idea.
5) lemon... I never gotten that one... EVER!:doh:

So today I was go I honing thought some old u2 albums (aka all of them:sexywink:) and I just noticed some song lyrics that I didn't before.

1.) Like a fish needs a bicycle. I know it's a quote from a politician but what does it mean?
2) A mole, living in a hole Digging up my soul Going down, excavation. I get this one a bit better but still confusing.
3) the whole song an cat dubh. My friend tried explaining it and it confused me more.:doh:
4) Love is blindness I don't want to see Won't you wrap the night Around me? Oh my heart Love is blindness In a parked car In a crowded street You see your love Made complete Thread is ripping The knot is slipping Love is blindness. I think I have an idea.
5) lemon... I never gotten that one... EVER!:doh:

1. "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" - quote from feminist Gloria Steinem, means a woman doesn't need a man.
2. Sex
3. Don't have the lyrics in front of me at the moment for this one- sorry
4. A relationship falling apart
5. Lemon is about Bono's mother who died when he was young. He found old 8mm films of her wearing a lemon-yellow dress.

Thanks that actually explains a lot and I never heard anything like your explanation for Lemon. I've heard 5 different things about It.

Though stokes doesn't really do interpretation, he literally does the stories behind the song. Sometimes that includes where the song came from in a meaning, but not always.

Bono tells that story about Lemon in U2 by U2, so I'd say that's a pretty reliable interpretation. I've never heard about Love is Blindness touching on terrorism though. I've heard them talk several places about Edge's divorce on that one. Detts, if you haven't seen From the Sky Down, be sure to watch the segment where Edge plays that one solo. Of course he's so reserved that his expression is very hard to read, but I think it's a pretty emotional performance.

And on the woman needs a man business, here's Steinem telling the story. A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle

Quote the Wikipedia, of course:

The lyrics "[mix] up the personal and the political." Bono noted that "There was some reference to the little death, which can be taken to mean a faint during orgasm but also works as an image of terrorism."[3] Quoting the lyric "A little death without mourning / No call and no warning / Baby, a dangerous idea / That almost makes sense", he said, "There's nothing more deadly than an idea – or a person – that's almost right. You know, it took the 20th century a hundred years to get over communism. There's another dangerous idea that almost made sense."[3]

and:

"The song has images of terrorism, bomb-building, clockworks and cold steel, parked car. In a personal sense, I have observed the phenomenon of a person planting a kind of landmine that years later they will accidentally tread on and blow their lives to pieces. You can watch people doing it, wilfully getting involved in actions they will pay a very heavy price for later. Trajectory is everything."

—Bono[3]

And for the record, Footnote three tracks back to what I believe is U2 by U2.

Ive never really heard the terrerist part in love is blindness ive only heard the divorce part. But now that I hear it it sounds more interesting. Ive also heard parts about sex. Ive also never paid attention to the lyrics of lemon now that I have it makes more since :)

Back
Top Bottom