Vertigo is about.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Temptation....

Veiled references to Jesus being tempted during the 40 days and nights....by Satan.

Vertigo....when Satan shows him all the kingdoms of the earth...he had to be brought very high up....causing Vertigo.

Vertigo caused by the recognition of temptation and knowing what choices should be made.

Everything I wish I did not know=recognition of the temptation or sin.

Feel=Desires=Temptations

Finally, your love is teaching me to kneel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's probably just meant to be a loud rock song to have fun with.

But if you get a spiritual message out it, all the better.

I think there will be a lot of heavy lyrical stff on the album, but not in the form of Vertigo. It's more meant to kick the whole thing in gear.

I agree with Dread
I see Bono stuck in a Latin dance club full of demons male & female He can't get out ...all the characters are taunting him through the song ,,,,,Satan shows him all of the (kingdoms) and says All of this could be yours ..just give me what I want (He wants his soul)-----no one gets hurt
Would make a cool video no??? All the members play different characters in the overcrowded club (terrible band on stage ....etc
Passion of Christ meets a Spanish Hotel California

Matthew 4
9"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."
10Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'[1] "
11Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

bonovoxx said:
I agree with Dread
I see Bono stuck in a Latin dance club full of demons male & female He can't get out ...all the characters are taunting him through the song ,,,,,Satan shows him all of the (kingdoms) and says All of this could be yours ..just give me what I want (He wants his soul)-----no one gets hurt
Would make a cool video no??? All the members play different characters in the overcrowded club (terrible band on stage ....etc
Passion of Christ meets a Spanish Hotel California

This WOULD make a wonderful video. My imagination is going....we've seen the pics of them shooting the video in the desert right? Who else do we know of that went out to the desert to be alone?! Hmm....me thinks we could be onto something....

OOh, I like that Dreadsox!!!

I've been feeling the same way at times...

I think Vertigo is majorly fun and rockin'
but it's got a *lot* going on in those lyrics, too much to just not be about anything...even if we're just talking about evoking a feeling...

I like the temptation and the voice "just give me what I want and noone gets hurt"...
temptation and the dancefloor and not being sure here...

But where's the war stuff coming in? I just have trouble with the idea that there would be an actual war going on and the boys not at least burying a little something somewhere refering to it...
what are those bullets ripping sky? why/where is it getting dark?

Yes the line-of-light refrain of your love is giving me something I can feeeel...
the faith-feeling thing..
and kneeeeel even more so...

I actually felt listening today to it that its about...I know I'm being silly...Bono hanging with Republicans pushing war and watching girls with crimson nails with jesus round their necks and wondering whether he's sold his soul to people who can't dance at least they know while the boys play rock and roll and the girls dance to it and he wants the check and he wishes he didn't know about the political realities of having to hang with hypocrites, but he hangs on ...just barely and worried he'll fall...via that love. and he sings that hooooooooooow in such a deliciously swoony way until he graps onto the 'feel' and 'kneel', i love it.

so yeah, it's either the passion of the christ or its bono trying to make it through the republican convention and then an interview with Bill O'Reilly.

cheers all!

I think the song is most certainly about temptation.

In a verse, He could be singing about himself, and the band playing in concert, all the girls with crimson nails tempting him and such swingin got the music.
The bullets that shoot the inky night with gold could be the lights from the stage. The boys are dancing and they don't know how, but htey got soul.
Also "the jungle in your head can't rule your heart" "soul cant be bought but your mind can wander"

Temptation baby. Doesn't have to be biblical, but with U2 it always could be. Temptation can be very secular too.

The place called Vertigo could be that he sings songs of faith and love, yet he is still tempted no matter how much tries.

He feels the Vertigo of temptation, but doesn't fall for it because "you give me something I can feel" speaking to God.
Maybe pleading for help through the temptation.

"All of this could be yours" is just the lure, you can say it's Satan or whatever but it's the lure of many things I suppose. It's the music that brings him back to the stage. Because he needs to make the music because it's his catharsis of faith and love thru temptation and pushes him to do what he does.

"Your love is teaching me how to kneel". Love leads him from the temptation. Love of wife? fans? God? Ultimately it's his love FOR music and to say his piece to the world that leads him to Vertigo.

Vertigo=the temptation of the power of the spectacle of U2 and everything it brings but with that, the baggage.
I don't know sounded good when I typed it, probably all bullshit.

Your love is teaching me how to kneel!!!!

Try this on, for those of you who like shit like this:
(uno, dos, tres, catorce) 1, 2, 3, 14

Book of James Chapter 1, Verses, 2, 3, and 14

(2)Count it all joy, my bretheren, when you meet various trials(3), for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. (14)but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.

pure coincidence, probably, but it makes me look like I know what I am talking about

:wink:

I want to know how you got James out of that! Excellent post!

Last edited:
Can't you see MacPhisto on a screen behind Bono saying All of this, all of this can be yours.

Dreadsox said:
I want to know how you got James out of that! Excellent post!

Honestly, I have a Bible that has references in the back. I looked up the 'temptation' section and it directly referenced
James 1-2,3,14.

I don't know if that is a commonly refered scripture about temptation or not, just thought I would share for the heck of it.

ShellBeThere said:
OOh, I like that Dreadsox!!!

I've been feeling the same way at times...

I think Vertigo is majorly fun and rockin'
but it's got a *lot* going on in those lyrics, too much to just not be about anything...even if we're just talking about evoking a feeling...

I like the temptation and the voice "just give me what I want and noone gets hurt"...
temptation and the dancefloor and not being sure here...

But where's the war stuff coming in? I just have trouble with the idea that there would be an actual war going on and the boys not at least burying a little something somewhere refering to it...
what are those bullets ripping sky? why/where is it getting dark?

Yes the line-of-light refrain of your love is giving me something I can feeeel...
the faith-feeling thing..
and kneeeeel even more so...

I actually felt listening today to it that its about...I know I'm being silly...Bono hanging with Republicans pushing war and watching girls with crimson nails with jesus round their necks and wondering whether he's sold his soul to people who can't dance at least they know while the boys play rock and roll and the girls dance to it and he wants the check and he wishes he didn't know about the political realities of having to hang with hypocrites, but he hangs on ...just barely and worried he'll fall...via that love. and he sings that hooooooooooow in such a deliciously swoony way until he graps onto the 'feel' and 'kneel', i love it.

so yeah, it's either the passion of the christ or its bono trying to make it through the republican convention and then an interview with Bill O'Reilly.

cheers all!

I agree. I can't believe how hypocritical republicans can be. We need leaders like John Kerry (2004!!!!) who never say anything but what they feel in their hearts.

Man I feel sorry for Bono having to hang around those hypocritical politic... I mean republicans.

Seems to me the DEMS are the ones who promise everything and provide nothing. What happened to that Healthcare reform Hillary promised in 92? It was great ... 11 of the top 13 long term care management companies filed chapter 11. nice one .. love it when old people don't have any place to go. they use the race card to divide the nation continually and complain that the republicans do the same. As far as John Kerry saying what's on his mind...check his voting record for his entire senate career and see if you still like what you find. I am married/kids, ex military officer who works in the healthcare industry now...and oh yeah I live in Massachusetts and own a business. I have no reason to vote for him on any count. He hasn't done a good job here and he won't in Washington. Anyone who visits his web site or catches the 30 second news clips can think he is the greatest. Springsteen and gang singing for him won't change what he truly is. FYI..I am a democrat, just not a Kerry supporter. Sorry to sound angry, but I keep seeing lots of bashing on both sides without much substance behind the vote.

Oh I like the temptation 1,2,3, 14 stuff Inner El Guapo!

I was thinking that, after I got totally hung up on the 3+11 =14 trip...that it's more likely some Biblical thing, what might 3:14 be or some such...

yes, clearly there's temptation in vertigo I agree!

And no, I don't mean to get political...kerry sucks, bush sucks (more), didn't mean to come off as saying Kerry2004yeah!!!
just in case anyone thought that, and seems to me they did..

Really, just in general I felt an unholy alliance vibe in the song, not just the steadfast in the face of temptation but someone who's made his deal (bono pitching his pitch, trying to find the words and angles to convince whomever is or might be in power...and I admit I loved the paul o'neill forgive-the-debt tour it was very sexy!)and hopes he doesn't pay with his soul...

cheers all!

Last edited:
I think you guys are right on...

I definately think that this is a Biblical reference to where Satan tempts Christ in a "high place," and basically tells Jesus "I can give you all of this if you worship me", which is easily restated as "just give me what I want and all of this can be yours."

To me, the song is about being afraid of/tempted by power/wealth/fame (being in a high place-vertigo is a fear of heights). U2 certainly know about the dangers and temptatitions of all those things, and seem to be saying in this song (at least Bono), that it can be a very real struggle trying to follow Christ and also be so famous/wealthy/powerful. Because you can get so caught up in just the sort of things that Satan was offering to Christ on the "high place".

At least, that's what it seems like to me, and I think it's brilliant lyrically.

*Edit:

The first verse I think supports this interpretation as well, especially the end:

"And though your soul/ it can't be bought/ your mind can wander."

Seems to reference traditional "selling your soul to the devil" stories, while discrediting them, but also referencing the all too real temptations that exist in the world.

Last edited:
"Girl with crimson nails has Jesus 'round the neck" is a great double entendre! Man what a great song. I'm going to be sick of it by the time the rest of the album comes out.

Dreadsox said:
Can't you see MacPhisto on a screen behind Bono saying All of this, all of this can be yours.

Awesome! i've missed MacPhisto since the HMTMKMKM video

deltau922 said:
"Girl with crimson nails has Jesus 'round the neck" is a great double entendre!

I have to laugh every time I hear that verse though. All I can think of is...

Swinging Jesus...

goat

Having (finally) heard the song, here is my take after the first listen: it goes along very much with what Edge said about describing the uneasy feel in the world right now. (terrorism) Vertigo is also a name of a NY club.

The first verse is (the character's) confusion in his head - be it regarding the state of things in the world, or being in a club.

The first 4 lines in the second verse could be about war/fighting, after that, starting with "they twinkle as the boys play rock and roll" it could be the club again, or a (U2?) concert.

All of this can be yours is connected, most likely, with "give me what I want and no one gets hurt" - that brings me to terrorism again. (after all, terrorists deman ransom for not hurting their victims)

Inner El Guapo said:
I think the song is most certainly about temptation.

Try this on, for those of you who like shit like this:

(2)Count it all joy, my bretheren, when you meet various trials(3), for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. (14)but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.

pure coincidence, probably, but it makes me look like I know what I am talking about

:wink:

WOW!! I am just sooooo very impressed by this. I am liking the forum more and more by the day!!!!

I don't know if that is in deed the meaning behind the song but the fact that a U2 song is getting people to crack open their Bibles is a testement to how powerful their music it. That's not to say you Inner El or anyone else here doesn't open their Bibles daily. I just think it's great that U2 have written a song that not on truly rocks (which in my opinion was a long time coming) but also is once again profound on so many levels.

I always get a message of faith from ALL of their songs - every last one of them, except for maybe "Babyface" (I shudder like Homer Simpson when I think of that song).

Excellent post Inner El!!!! Thanks!

Carrie :)

Inner El Guapo said:

I don't know which version of the Bible you took that quote from, but the King James Version has a slightly different take on the translation and it changes and strengthens the temptation theme.

2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

(New Testament | James 1:2 - 3, 14)

Regardless of whether this refers to Vertigo or not, it is a wonderful description of temptation, whatever the translation of the Bible being used.

bonojr62 said:
I honestly think this Is Just a fun song... No deep religious meaning. But thats whats great about U2's music. They leave a lot of room for self interpratation.

Actually, I quite agree with you. I just found the James 1: 2, 3, 14 thing interesting. I think that Vertigo is a great song that says hey, we're back...HELLO? Remember us? If it's anything, I think it's a commentary on how insane the world is right now, (if you look in the dictionary, one of the definitions of vertigo, is that of a confused disoriented mind) and that maybe only Love and/or God can help you. For instance, the lines that many seem to think might refer to temptation, or Christ and the Devil,

All of this can be yours
Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

Can also be interpreted as a dig at a US policy of hegemony in Iraq, or throughout the world. The idea that the whole world wants the American Way of Life; democracy, freedom, IPOD's and McDonalds everywhere.

Numbology said:
now does it?

I do think that it is a commentary on how insane the world is. I don't think it is about US hegemony, but I know someone who thinks that it is.

Personally, I think it's hard to figure out what the lyrics are about without seeing the lyrics from the rest of the CD.

(first off, I just thought it was a neat coincidence, that's all, I don't believe there is any biblical signifigance to 1, 2, 3, 14, to me it reminds me of old school punk songs that used strange count-in's, I just posted because i thought it was kind of neat)

the Bible I have is a 'Revised Standard Edition' a vast improvement on the King James Versions.

It's translated from the original languages, it's more accessible, I guess (easier to read) but it is a direct translation, as the King James Version is not. (this is probably a subject for another forum)

The short version is, that The King James version that is such a standard in most English speaking countries was a translation of all the previous versions (in Greek). It has it's problems. It's not a direct translation. Scrutiny arose in the 18th and 19th century when scholars began to study the ancient Hebrew and found flaws all throughout the King James version (most of these flaws, are not critical, but it does change meanings of words or phrases)

Basically, I don't think the King James version is accurate, but to each their own. They all carry the basic teachings and such, but for me personally, I like the version I have. There is probably a link somewhere on the net that explains this all, I am not prepared enough to offer details, as it's not even the appropriate forum to do so.

Vertigo lyric (again!)

Dear old Mr Bonjo, you’ve got to hand it to him; when his head is in a spin, he certainly knows how to deliver! The humdinger of a track that is VERTIGO strikes a chord in more ways than ONE. This sexy, angst ridden rendition is a mile away from safe little ditties like Sweetest Thing. Let’s hope the new U2 offering ‘How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb’ is full of such delights and that a somewhat tame phase is over. When Bono is on form, nobody does it better! We should surely hope that his dismantlement is a long way off. I’m not discounting the punchier tracks of ‘All that you can’t Leave Behind’, but the endless soul searching about what ‘couldn’t be left behind’ wore a bit thin. In ‘A place called Vertigo’, it sounds like Bono has realised that a little bit of danger is tortuous fun. Okay, the protagonist’s head is a ‘Jungle’ and he’s fumbling around in the dark. But it’s also plain to see that he seems to like where it’s all heading: ‘You give me something I can feel’. The admission that ‘the head can’t rule the heart’ relinquishes reason and control; whilst the mystery ‘girl with crimson nails and Jesus around her neck’ speaks to his soul and stirs up ‘everything I wish I didn’t know’. Vertigo charts subterranean territory and offers an outlet for raw emotion that doesn’t stand a chance unless the protagonist realises one thing: that alchemical love and passion really can go hand in hand. Finally as a defence mechanism the Vertigo angst is transmuted into a Divine Rapture that sublimates irrational urges and recognises the redemption of Grace; ‘your love is teaching me how to kneel’. No it’s not a cop out, but it IS a separate issue!

Back
Top Bottom