Ultraviolet (Ligh My Way)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
There is a silence that comes to a house
Where no one can sleep
I guess it's the price of love
I know it's not cheap

What silence is it that comes to a house? :scratch: Is it meant ironically and it actually means...you know......moaning etc? cos I can't think of anything else....:confused:

I do know that this line was (unintentionally) borrowed from (I think) a Raymond Carver story ("there is a silence that comes to a house/where no one can sleep").

My guess? The song is about wanting/needing to be saved by love, and believing almost to the point of desperation that love can save you:

you know I need you to be strong
the day is as dark as the night is long
feel like trash, you make me feel clean
I'm in the black, can't see or be seen
baby, baby, baby, light my way...

when I was all messed up
and I heard opera in my head
your love was a light bulb
hanging over my bed...
baby, baby, baby, light my way...

So think of those lines in that context. The "silence that comes to a house" could be a metaphor for grief or sadness, and that grief or sadness could be the "price of love"--i.e. that one must suffer greatly before one can understand and appreciate real love. And you know that's not cheap.

I see, but what grief in a relationship? What sadness? When there is grief then mostly the relatinship is already over....or? Maybe I don't see yet....:help: Please help me paxetaurora.

I had always interpreted the line as this:

You want a love so much and it seems to be worth all the noise, light, and pain. But then when you get that love you've wanted so much - it doesn't live up to higher level that you placed it at before hand. Leaving you with nothing to say, nothing to sing - and both lovers are left wondering if it actually was worth it.

So answer me, baby. Light my way. Light my fucking way.

- z -

FallingStar said:
I see, but what grief in a relationship? What sadness? When there is grief then mostly the relatinship is already over....or? Maybe I don't see yet....:help: Please help me paxetaurora.

I think a relationship has to undergo some tough times (perhaps grief or sadness) to make it stronger. I know my husband and I have gone through times where we are both lying in bed, silent, hurting, wondering what's going on, but knowing we still feel passionately about each other.

Fortunately, there are more times when we are passionate, happy, and in love. We can appreciate those times even more because we have felt the pain of love, too.

I think it's hard to understand unless you've been there.

FallingStar said:

Oh dear. I don't know if I can help, but I'll try. ;)

Let's see. I suppose the grief or sadness could be anything--internal or external, anything that could only be trumped by love. The relationship itself need not be the problem, although in this context I could see very well how it might be.

I think overall that the song is about reaching out for love in our most desperate times, and simply *having* to believe that love will help to pull us out.

Oh I understand what you mean, what you all mean! This line makes so much more sense now!

Thank you all, really it helped me! :)

Back
Top Bottom