U2 songs about unrequited love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
Does U2 have any of these? I am confused, and I probably should not be since alot of their songs can be interpreted whichever way we want that is their beauty. The usual ones mentioned do not seem to hold up when we look closer:

With or Without you- Really saying that life will go on, I do not need you, I could take it and live with it, but why stay on a 'bed of nails,' etc.

All I want is you- The video suggests otherwise, maybe just for effect, but Bono has said a number of times that this song is dedicated to Ali, his wife.

Anyone have any ideas of other songs that may deal with this topic? If there are not many, I understand that too- for a rock band, all of them got into pretty serious relationships very early on in their lives and did not really have too many relationship issues where this would come up. Only broken relationships on AB.(Edge)

Stay... never thought of that, always thought it was about a guardian Angel or a violent relationship. I ran the lyrics through my head again and wow, that is definitely about unrequited love! Thank you, both of you!

If I sat down to think about it I could come up with a few more probably, but I'm too tired right now.

The first thing that springs to mind though is Walk to the Water. You know, the whole, "I'm on the outside, let me in, let me love you, let me love you" thing.

One, of course, Stay, So Cruel, Walk to the Water, in With or Without You I've always seen 3 people envolved.
Smile sounds like a rejected lover whose heart has just been broken down.
I know love is in this soul of mine
It's not in you eyes
I don't want to see you smile

Back
Top Bottom