U2 Love Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Okay. There we go. I don't know...I never paid attention to their love songs, but that's interesting to think about...

The First Time
Drowning Man (even though it might be about God)
umm....

SEE how clueless I am? :ohmy:

Hm, First time could also be spiritual, to me it's about Ali, Bono's brother and his father.

I dunno...from albums I guess Two hearts beat as one, Promenade, WOWY, Sweetest thing (it was a single), AIWIY, Who's gonna ride..., Stay, (I was thinking about this the other day and while I can think of love songs for almost every album, I'm not sure about Pop. If God will send... was probably meant as a huge ballad single, but it seems more spiritual to me. Maybe Staring at the sun?) and Wild honey.

Also Ground beneath her feet, and Electrical storm. *edit* what about In a little while and Hands that built America?

Last edited:
I think AIWIY is their best "love" song if it can be thought of in that sense.

U2 is pretty unique in not having one truly recognisable love song, ballad that is, because anything that comes close (AIWIY included) also tends to have a dark side as well.

u2 don't have many love songs ( and thank god for that...)

i don't really like love songs but of course if u2 has a love song then it is usually a great song.
that's because U2's love songs are not tipical.
it's not like Bon Jovi's Kitcsh love songs .
when Bono write a love song it is usually a deep song ( except "the sweetest thing " - which is not a deep song but it is still a cute one that i love to listen to )

Anyway i think that U2's love songs are :
electrical storm
in a little while
so cruel
the sweetest thing
with or without you
All i want is you
i tripped through your wires
if you wear that velvet dress
Gloria

these are the only u2's love songs , for any other song we can find other meanings.

i think that the best love songs are :
with or without you & electrical storm

meital said:
these are the only u2's love songs , for any other song we can find other meanings.

Well you can definitely find alternate meanings to most - if not all - of the ones you listed as well. For example, I don't think of With Or Without You as a love song, per se - my two interpretations of it are that it's about the contradictions and hardships of love, and that it's God's view of the world.

The beauty of their "so called love songs" or quieter type ballads is that I can play them at my job when I have to be respectable and civilised but can still get motivated. It's a little hard to play some of their more energetic songs if my boss has people there. I usually have to wait until they either leave or he's gone or I'm home. I definitely need a fix of U2 each day though more powerful than any physical stimulant!

Bono's most poignant love song is for his mother "Tomorrow". That song always gets to me, especially if I haven't heard it in awhile. I've also noticed that U2 cover a lot of love songs- "Can't Help Falling In Love" , "Unchained Melody", "Everlasting Love".

Back
Top Bottom