Time is irrelevant, it's not linear, then she put her tongue in my ear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like "I had driven......... to the scene of the accident, and I sat there........ waiting for me" from Unknown caller.

Oh, but wait... I heard the lyric as "Time is a river, but it's not linear, then she put her tongue in my ear!" I just noticed that the OP has it differently....

I originally thought it was "time is a metaphor (after a relisten I know it cant be that, no M), its not linear, then she put a tone in my ear" as in, she hung up.

But hey, I like this lyric more. :drool:

"Now Odysseus is ready, having discovered a manhood which can confront the inner and outer waters, to face the full wrath of Poseidon's waves. Only now can he fully surrender to the sea, to the vast and powerful feminine, and be reborn" Torrey Philemon about the Odysseus and Calypso

These lyrics made me think of eternity minded Calypso from the Odyssey. So I searched found this site (Calypso's Isle: Calypso Odysseus in The Odyssey by Home)

From Torrey Philemon:
"Odysseus is now embraced by Mother Earth, in all her verdant fertility, and also living deep within caverns that are only reminiscent of the womb. For seven years, Calypso protects him from Poseidon's wrath. As the devoted and devouring mother, AND the seductive and engulfing mistress/lover, she is both what men most desire, and most fear."

If this is where Bono is going - this makes the album even that much better!

Another interesting section from this website on Calypso:

"During his stay on Calypso's isle, Odysseus is never able to fully accept his situation. His body is alive, but only in regard to sensuality. Calypso holds him so tightly in her embrace, that he is not free to embrace her in turn. And because of his unresolved grief and trauma, his heart remains closed. In book nine of the Odyssey, he says of both Calypso and Circe, "They never won the heart inside me, never."

But at the same time, Odysseus is also compelled to surrender. Only in surrender can another part of himself emerge and lead him forward once again. Only in surrender can he feel and release the deep grief he has been carrying all these years, and own the feminine energy within himself. And by the seventh year, he is ready to move into the next stage, what Houston refers to as the stage of active longing. He weeps ceaselessly, for Ithaca and for Penelope.

The waters are his own now - his tears. The island is his own making - his loneliness. The feminine is within him now - his own deep feeling. At this point, he begins to own and express his own anima .... and in this emerging wholeness, a new voice, which encompasses both the masculine and feminine can begin to exert its authority."

Back
Top Bottom