The last of the rockstars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't mind this verse, myself.

I think it's meant to be nostalgic/looking back; U2 is likely the last "big" rock band, in the time of hip hop ruling the charts and new media - internet.

U2girl said:
Don't mind this verse, myself.

I think it's meant to be nostalgic/looking back; U2 is likely the last "big" rock band, in the time of hip hop ruling the charts and new media - internet.

word.

I don't quite get why everyone hates this verse? I rather like it.

Okay, I don't hate it per se... but the last 4 lines have always bugged me from day 1.

the last of the rock stars
when hip hop drove the big cars
in the time when new media
was the big idea

:tsk:

I can't quite put my finger on why it bugs me but... :shrug:

Good song though!

Zootlesque said:
Okay, I don't hate it per se... but the last 4 lines have always bugged me from day 1.

was the big idea

Good song though!

Maybe it bugs you because there's truth in it and you don't like the idea of hiphop overtaking rock? :wink:

namkcuR said:

Maybe it bugs you because there's truth in it and you don't like the idea of hiphop overtaking rock? :wink:

Maybe. :wink:

Oh no no no... I know why it bugs me. Actually all of these lines...

Did I waste it
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement
The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea

waste.. taste? fragrant..basement? It's the rhymes, it's the fucking rhymes like hips/skips/lips/fingertips in Grace. Honestly, ATYCLB has some of the worst songwriting ever!

Life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement??? Not the most inspired lyrics! :|

The reason I don't like the verse is because I don't think it's consistent with the theme of the song. It would be so much better if it was just a repeat of the "salt in the sea" verse with just Bono and rhythm guitar like they did on live versions.

inmyplace13 said:
The reason I don't like the verse is because I don't think it's consistent with the theme of the song. It would be so much better if it was just a repeat of the "salt in the sea" verse with just Bono and rhythm guitar like they did on live versions.

*nods* That is exactly why I don't like it. That song to me is about longing and letting go and then this verse is just... random! It spoils it and annoys me because the rest of that song is beautiful.

inmyplace13 said:

Double nod. I don't hate the lines so much as I think they are kinda random. :scratch: It's still one of my favorite songs in the catalog though. :shrug:

Did I waste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement
Was the big idea

I still think the lyrics fit with the song..as Chickadee says its about longing and letting go? this is all tied up in Bono's big dreams and ideas..he wants music to touch as many people as possible..he is wondering whether his chance to make a real massive mark on the world with music has past...now is the time of hip hop, they are in the driving seat but are more interested in themselves...that is kinda the antithesis of what music means to Bono, he is wondering whether its time to let go of his big idea his dreams...all the world has to offer now is new forms of media, its not that big an idea...it doesnt change how music effects us changes how we hear it but not how it effects our way of thinking and feeling...that is what i think the last verse is about, longing for bigger ideas and dreams than what is currently on offer, but maybe letting go of believing you can achieve them all...

If anyone thinks i am talking crap please raise their right hand.....

Two of Larry's favourite words now come to mind:wink:

LJT said:

I still think the lyrics fit with the song..as Chickadee says its about longing and letting go? this is all tied up in Bono's big dreams and ideas..he wants music to touch as many people as possible..he is wondering whether his chance to make a real massive mark on the world with music has past...now is the time of hip hop, they are in the driving seat but are more interested in themselves...that is kinda the antithesis of what music means to Bono, he is wondering whether its time to let go of his big idea his dreams...all the world has to offer now is new forms of media, its not that big an idea...it doesnt change how music effects us changes how we hear it but not how it effects our way of thinking and feeling...that is what i think the last verse is about, longing for bigger ideas and dreams than what is currently on offer, but maybe letting go of believing you can achieve them all...

Which I don't think has anything to do with letting go of a loved one, which is how I take the song.

inmyplace13 said:

Which I don't think has anything to do with letting go of a loved one, which is how I take the song.

Well you start to re-evaluate things after someone dies, your objectives, where you want to go, have your dreams changed etc? I think you could look at the last verse like that, wanting to live life to its fullest potential, but wondering if you have already missed the boat...

they really should have skipped this verse during the elevation tour...... but there would be a giant bitching storm afterwards:huh: .

Zootlesque said:

was the big idea

Good song though!

Ditto!

LJT said:

Well you start to re-evaluate things after someone dies, your objectives, where you want to go, have your dreams changed etc? I think you could look at the last verse like that, wanting to live life to its fullest potential, but wondering if you have already missed the boat...

Agreed, good interpretation :up:

But it seems we're in the minority here.

Ah well.

inmyplace13 said:

That was the thing that puzzled me live. Why did they repeat the salt in the sea verse?

As for

Did I waste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement
Was the big idea

I think it goes along with the rest of the song - I see it as a man looking back on his life, and saying goodbye to his family - specifically his children. The first two lines are obvious (did he lead a good life? was he a good man/father/husband?), the second two are references to birth and death.

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:

:up:
Didnt he also change the word Rock to Opera on some of the Elevation Tour performences? Or did I dream that?!:ohmy: Obviously an ode to his father.

I've fallen in love with the song again lately, and I find myself skipping back the cd to hear him sing the "...I dont know, which way the wind will blow" line. I just love it right now.....

Back
Top Bottom