"The Hands That Built America": Questions and Comments (Super-Merged MegaThread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisybean

Rock n' Roll Doggie, FOB
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eye
Hands that built America

Okay so I got these for EYKIW...these are the lyrics that some fans decipered

I love the imagery in it...

Oh my love, it's a long way we've come.
From the freckled hills, to the steel and glass canyons.
From the stony fields, to hanging steel from the sky.
From digging in our pockets, for a reason not to say goodbye.

These are the hands, that build America.
Ahhhh America.

Last saw your face, in a water colour sky.
As sea birds argue, a long goodbye.
I took your kiss, on the spray of the new land star.
You gotta live with your dreams, don't make them so hard, ohh ohh.

And these are the hands, that built America.
Ahhhh America.

Of all of the promises, is this one we could keep?
Of all of the dreams, is this one still out of reach.

Halle, Ole

It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York sky line.
Innocence, dragged across a yellow line.
These are the hands that built America.
These are the hands that built America.
Ahhhh America.
Ahhhh America.

It's so beautiful, I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

I totally agree, the imagery is great, and it almost tells a story but leaves you to fill in the blanks. It looks like this will be a great song, but... does anybody else think that perhaps U2's current infatuation with America is somewhat reminiscent of the Rattle and Hum era? The America thing ended up hurting them back then, and my sceptical, conspiracy theory mind tells me that perhaps the lads are trying to finish conquering America, now that they have 15 years more experience. I dont know, the lyrics do look good, but why not "The Hands That Built Zimbabwe" or something? Just a thought...:scratch:

kiwilad said:
I dont know, the lyrics do look good, but why not "The Hands That Built Zimbabwe" or something?
Exactly my thoughts. :| I'm not really that drawn to the title...

I think the title is appropriate...I don't know about U2 trying to finish the conquering of America, but I think the song is about the an Irish immigrant and how instrumental those Irish were in building America.

They were among the indentured servants brought over in the 17th century to start making the American colonies profitable...
in the 19th centuries they did the scut work no one else would do. In the South, plantation owners preferred to hire Irish for really dangerous work because they were cheap and it was better to lose them than an expensive slave. They did alot of construction, they cleared alot of malarial swamps, they built the railroads. And their role in American politics would take waay too long to get into, but that is key too.

Also remember that the song was done for "The Gangs of New York" which is about Irish gangs. Just the tag line of the movie "America was born on the streets" completely fits with the song.

Can you tell what I've studied the last two semesters! LOL!

Elisabeth

Last edited:
:wink: If it was called "The Hands that Built [insert other country name]" it wouldn't make any sense because the movie, Gangs of New York," is about Irish immigrants settling in New York!

my mistake!

If it was called "The Hands that Built [insert other country name]" it wouldn't make any sense because the movie, Gangs of New York," is about Irish immigrants settling in New York!

Yeah, you're right, I didnt think about that. But I guess it looks to me that U2 are very focussed on America, with the super-bowl thing, the 2 tours, the talkshows. I'm not trying to annoy people, but it seems to be a pattern that U2 fans in my country have noticed, and are a little annoyed at. Obviously America is the biggest market, and has many U2 fans, its just a shame that U2s attention seems so focussed. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the song!

I, too, am ultimately excited to hear this tune.

But I have a question about intepretation here.

The line "Innocence, dragged across a yellow line" :confused: me.

Obviously, there is a reference to Sept. 11 but what exactly is this "yellow line" bono is speaking of.

Thanks

Re: my mistake!

kiwilad said:

Yeah, you're right, I didnt think about that. But I guess it looks to me that U2 are very focussed on America, with the super-bowl thing, the 2 tours, the talkshows. I'm not trying to annoy people, but it seems to be a pattern that U2 fans in my country have noticed, and are a little annoyed at. Obviously America is the biggest market, and has many U2 fans, its just a shame that U2s attention seems so focussed. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the song!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but not many other countries MATTER. I should know....

I was listening to the bootleg December 26, 1989 at Point Depot recently and found this interesting. While introducing "Angel of Harlem", Bono says:

"People say "How come you write a song about Billie Holliday set in New York City? Your a Dublin man, you come from Ireland - what do you know about New York?" I say "Listen man, we built New York""

tackleberry said:
Obviously, there is a reference to Sept. 11 but what exactly is this "yellow line" bono is speaking of.

Thanks

The only thing I could think of is the yellow tape at a crime scene that says "CRIME SCENE - DO NOT CROSS" or sometihng like that.

The hands that built America - meaning

I just got my hands on the hands that built america.

Does it have reference to sept 11, 2001 ? Has Bono/U2 said anything about this song.

What does the following mean

"It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York sky line.
Innocence, dragged across a yellow line."

I guess it might be reference to that day.

Some of the lyrics are simply superb like "You gotta live with your dreams, don't make them so hard".

Also all interpretations to this wonderful song would good to read.

I am sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else. If I could , I would have checked everywhere on this site before posting this.

AcrobatMan

I totally agree with you AcrobatMan: the lyrics of this song are simply superb. For those missing the poetic Bono lyrics of yore, this should be a nice appeasement. The images are strong, while still retaining Bono's famous ability for impressionism. As a result, the listener doesn't have to piece much together, yet the song isn't constrained to only one viewpoint. That's a very difficult thing to do. Not only that, but the lyrics are gritty, meaning Bono has dug deep to offer something that really evokes the subject matter, as well as the "real life" behind it all. Some of my favourite lines include:

"...from diggin' in our pockets for a reason not to say goodbye"

"I saw your face, in a war coloured sky..."

"You gotta' live with your dreams, don't make them so hard"

"Innocence dragged across a yellow line"

"...of all of the dreams, is this one still out of reach?"

This song manages to state a reality - a historical reality - and is able to draw from that by asking contemporary questions. That's the song's greatest strength: it brings history to the foreground. It makes us aware that the historical impact is still relevent today. By including references to "early fall," and "a cloud over the New York skyline," a contemporary audience immediately relates. We can feel the innocence, not only lost - but dragged across that very same skyline. And all of a sudden, it's our very own innocence, as well. In a sense, this very line becomes blurred. The skyline becomes the metaphor. Is the song about the past, present, or future? It's about all three, now. At that line, the future meets the past. By asking the question, "...of all of the dreams, is this one still out of reach," Bono bridges the gap, and does so in such an evocative manner. We are able to stretch the song over time, across boarders, and across oceans. We are left standing on that bridge that Bono has constructed. Bono's pen is think, yet ever so precise in so many of these lines. Great, great work.

Last edited:
I was listening to the song and I was curious--has anyone been able to make out Bono's "whispering" between verses?

I could have sworn I heard him say something about "Chinese" and "Jews" perhaps in reference to other "hands that built America" but I could be totally and completely wrong.
:huh:

Elisabeth

AvsGirl41 said:
I was listening to the song and I was curious--has anyone been able to make out Bono's "whispering" between verses?

I could have sworn I heard him say something about "Chinese" and "Jews" perhaps in reference to other "hands that built America" but I could be totally and completely wrong.

Elisabeth

I was wondering the same thing? So it's Bono whispering then? I wasn't even sure of that!

wertsie said:

I was wondering the same thing? So it's Bono whispering then? I wasn't even sure of that!

:eyebrow: LOL, I think it's definitely Bono, but that makes me doubt my hearing even more!!

I listened to it again, and I think I also heard "Germans" and "Italians" after the first chorus, but god, I could just be going crazy. :huh: :der:

The whispering is clearest during the second chorus though and that's where I thought I heard "Chinese" and "Jews. The second time around, I also heard "Irish."

Funky. What if I'm just subconciously adding them. :huh:

Elisabeth

AvsGirl41 said:

:eyebrow: LOL, I think it's definitely Bono, but that makes me doubt my hearing even more!!

I listened to it again, and I think I also heard "Germans" and "Italians" after the first chorus, but god, I could just be going crazy. :huh: :der:

The whispering is clearest during the second chorus though and that's where I thought I heard "Chinese" and "Jews. The second time around, I also heard "Irish."

Funky. What if I'm just subconciously adding them. :huh:

Elisabeth

I think I'm going to have to start listening more closely...see what I think...maybe if I turn it up REALLY loud and put my ear to the speaker....:wink:

AvsGirl41 said:

Elisabeth
I always hear the word 'jackass' :shrug:

The first time I heard the song I was like "What?! Jackass? :ohmy: Huh?!" Next time again and again. It just sounds like jackass, though I can't possibly be.

It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York sky line.
Innocence, dragged across a yellow line.

This line makes me :sad:.

hands that built america question

what does the part "across a yellow line" refer to? I know it's the wtc tragedy he's talking about, but I don't understand "yellow line".
:hmm:

Re: hands that built america question

JOFO said:
what does the part "across a yellow line" refer to? I know it's the wtc tragedy he's talking about, but I don't understand "yellow line".
:hmm:

The yellow lines are probably the security lines that were drawn around the remains of the World Trade Center.

Re: Re: hands that built america question

FallingStar said:
The yellow lines are probably the security lines that were drawn around the remains of the World Trade Center.

And that just makes that line even more chilling.

Michael Griffiths posted his favorite lyrics from the song-those are my favorites, too. I agree with those who said they liked the imagery.

And the music is awesome, especially when the violins and all that set in (which sounds really cool on headphones).

I like this song, I think it's really good.

And the post about the comment Bono made while introducing "Angel Of Harlem"...interesting. That is a good point.

Angela

You might be able to make out the second voice if you listen to the version on the DVD. It is almost like there is another verse underneath.

Geez, I've missed a lot here. Just read this thread today and I love the interpretations. I learned a lot. :yes:

AvsGirl and Michael, that was really good. It's funny how you appreciate a song more when you understand the lyrics.

I *think* the whispering between verses is "Was it a dream, was it a dream"..

This is during the chorus.."these are the hands that built America", if that's the part everyone's talking about here.

That's what it sounds like to me anyway...

Last edited:
Weeeeell...I THINK one of the whisperings is something like, "Irish, Polish, Germans and Jews" because I remember in the movie one of the characters (maybe it was Leo's voice-over...:scratch: I can't remember!!!) mentioned something about those. :shrug: :banghead: Bono, can you help us out here???!!!

wertsie said:
Weeeeell...I THINK one of the whisperings is something like, "Irish, Polish, Germans and Jews" because I remember in the movie one of the characters (maybe it was Leo's voice-over...:scratch: I can't remember!!!) mentioned something about those. :shrug: :banghead: Bono, can you help us out here???!!!

That's what me and my sister heard too. :yes: I heard "Italian" in one of the whisperings too....

AvsGirl41 said:

That's what me and my sister heard too. :yes: I heard "Italian" in one of the whisperings too....

:yes: Yeah, I think you were the one who told me you heard that, and then I listened and I was like, "Oh, yeah!" and then they were all mentioned in the movie at once too, so that sort of confirmed it for me.

Back
Top Bottom