the definiton of a "big girl"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2bonogirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Back on the blue crack after a long break
i was listening to big girls are best today and i was thinking...what on earth was bono thinking of when he said big girls. what is the definition of a big girl in that song? ive never read anything where he explained that one, but i have my suspicions on why he wrote it, just from the lyrics. and NO im not thinking of BOOBS :wink:
anybody have some good insight for me?

sexy ma ma ma....
*melts*

I think he means a mature and real, grown up woman, not one of the girls who are held up by mass culture as ideals of feminine allure (Britney et al). Hence the emphasis on womanliness and motherhood. He did say somewhere a while back that women just get better with age. I think that's what he's expressing.

well, that confirms what i was thinking. i think he might have had ali in mind and just that shes a "big girl" as in a real woman, not a skinny or perfect girl.
i was kinda wondering whether he wrote it after shed had one of their children and maybe was confirming that even after shed had another kid she was still as sexy to him as ever.....dunno
but it made me laugh when somebody a while back thought it had to do with big breasted women. :LOL:

He does really seem to have a thing for pregnant women and mothers. He seems to find them sexiest of all. (I guess that leaves me out!)

my friends boyfriend cant stop touching her tummy (shes really really pregnant) and she keeps telling him to knock it . he said he couldnt, it was too tempting to touch her all the time. maybe its just something that happens to guys when their woman is pregnant. :shrug:
i think bono really likes women in general too.

Although I have no children of my own, I have often found pregnant woman very attractive - and I think this is true for a lot of men (excluding self-centered asses who only like "twigs"). It's something a man can never experience - carrying life inside of yourself. REAL men appreciate what women go through during pregnancy and try to be supportive and extra-caring. For all these reasons and more, pregnant women are beautiful. So I always interpreted the song dealing with this aspect.

I also felt that Bono was writing about all the things a woman has to juggle - giving birth, raising children, handling a husband, handling a home, handling a career. Only a mature woman can do all of this. Hence women really are best.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Maybe Bono just meant that pregnant women cleary "put out", so hence he likes 'em. :wink:

doctorwho said:
Although I have no children of my own, I have often found pregnant woman very attractive - and I think this is true for a lot of men (excluding self-centered asses who only like "twigs"). It's something a man can never experience - carrying life inside of yourself. REAL men appreciate what women go through during pregnancy and try to be supportive and extra-caring. For all these reasons and more, pregnant women are beautiful. So I always interpreted the song dealing with this aspect.

I also felt that Bono was writing about all the things a woman has to juggle - giving birth, raising children, handling a husband, handling a home, handling a career. Only a mature woman can do all of this. Hence women really are best.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Maybe Bono just meant that pregnant women cleary "put out", so hence he likes 'em. :wink:

I'd interpret it like this as well. :):up:

biff said:
I think he means a mature and real, grown up woman, not one of the girls who are held up by mass culture as ideals of feminine allure (Britney et al). Hence the emphasis on womanliness and motherhood. He did say somewhere a while back that women just get better with age. I think that's what he's expressing.

Well Bono said something very similar to me on my 40th Birthday in Dublin!

I told him that I didnt know if I was celebrating my birthday or drowning my sorrows!

His reply;
"You must celebrate your birthday as you ladies get much more interesting as you get older!":wink:

doctorwho said:

That is so great to hear!..It's true some men find their wives/partners unattractive while pregnant, and then some cheat on them..ect...I love it that there is still men out there "BIG REAL MEN ARE BEST" (mature, loving men) that LOVE THEIR WIVES!..
I'm almost postive that the sone is about Mons, just listen to the lyrics...:wink:

Bono's Tart said:

"You must celebrate your birthday as you ladies get much more interesting as you get older!":wink:

Awww that's so sweet!!! Too bad I'm like, not old. Or pregnant. Just semi-fat.

But yes I love that song... and I'd agree with everyone's interpretations.

BonoFox1 said:
It's true some men find their wives/partners unattractive while pregnant, and then some cheat on them..ect...

Jerks who do that don't deserve their loving wives and children. :madspit:

Thank God for my husband who loved me and treated me right, even during the most difficult part of pregnancy. That's the measure of a real man. :up:

mine stuck by me when i was on the patch and got chunky from it.
he knew that if it werent for his horny male feelings i wouldnt be chunky in the first place :wink:
now im back to normal and hes in a different part of the country.
but he still appreciates me over the phone:D lol
men are so cool sometimes. what would we do without them?

Wow, this comes at a weird point in my life! I should listen to that song because I am feeling really shitty as of right now, with the cravings and the mood swings and the weight gain and the nausea...

Big Girls are Best?

Thanks Bono! I needed that. You're a sweetheart. You make me proud to be a pregnant woman.

I originally posted on this subject here - the following was pulled from several different sources:

So, what do you think this song is about? Here's some things that others have said:

Liking large women
Quote from The Edge:
"I wouldn't be too much into the lyric but it's a great rock'n'roll vibe. I think when Bono talks about big girls, he means large girls - not big breasted, or anything like that. He's talking about women who aren't stick insects. We managed to find 15 minutes in L.A to finish it - and it came together. It's pretty tongue-in-cheek and throwaway."

Nothing, it's a joke
"I cannot make it through this song without giggling. And dancing. This song is good for giggles and dancing." (from a random blog)

Pregnancy, labor, and birth
Lyrics interp:

I'm gonna change like the weather, hot to cold <--- "Gotta lay off the sex now, she's too far along."
Oh yeah yeah yeah
She keeps it all together, she's got the motherlode
<--- "motherlode" may actually be "mother load" i.e. pregnant! }: )~
Oh yeah yeah yeah

She feels it, every sensation <--- kicking in the womb, going into labor
She's gotta smile like salvation <--- just after delivery, relief and joy
She's got a baby at her breast <--- baby gotta eat!
She knows big girls are best <--- gotta get big and strong!

Someone he met in Rio
"Avenue Atlantico 1702" may refer to the Copacabana Palace in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Website: http://www.copacabanapalace.com )
Their street address is Avenida Atlântica 1702.

goat

My interpretation of 'Big Girls'..

For what it's worth I think he means - curves. I get the impression he likes 'real' women and girls. That's not to say he doesn't find thin women attractive. It wouldn't be fair to assume that. But, seeing as he's been with the same woman for like forever, doesn't seem to have a thing about younger women like most male celebrities and seems to genuinely like natural women, I'd say that pregnant, over 40 or whatever you are, he's a real man with real instincts and knows just how to make women/girls feel good about themselves no matter what their weight/looks etc are.

And for the record, I think us girls could do with a load more blokes like that!!

...(and whilst I think about it...I don't think there's a bloke alive who doesn't like boobs...lol).

I also heard of the theory of Ali-carrying a child- inspiring this song and it is likely by "big" he meant pregnant.

it definately is the pregnancy thing, and umm the thought of your own lover being pregnant actually is attractive to *normal* guys... although the key being that normal doesn't necessarily mean *most* guys

My interpretation was the song was about curvy women and they are just as beautiful or more so as the "stick thin" women are. Maybe I just feel that way because I'm a big girl. Bono made me feel happy about that. When I heard this song "Fat Bottom Girls" by Queen came to mind. I like the pregnant/mature woman interpretation also (except I don't fit in that catergory yet but that's fine).

Although we never heard a word from Bono about this song, I have reasons to believe that it has to do with Rio, but not with someone he might have met there in particular. I think he describes women he saw in Rio, maybe from the balcony of his room at Copacabana Palace, watching them on their way to the beach in front of the hotel. It´s very commom to see pregnant women wearing bikinis going to the beach in Rio, as well as women breastfeading their children in public on the beach. They are not ashamed of that. He seems to describe those women in the song, in my point of view. What led me to think this way is an interview you probably never saw, with Bono and Larry, from November 2000, when they came to Brasil to promote ATYCLB. Bono describes what made him so impressed about women in Rio, and he refers to a combination of sensuality and spirituality, both mentioned in the song. He also mentions observing people going to the beach. To reinforce my theory, that BGAB has definitely something to do with Rio, there are two hints in the song 1) the above mentioned address of Copacabana Palace, as sung by Bono (Avenue Atlantico, 1702) and 2) towards the end we can hear clearly someone shouting "Mengo!". That´s the way people refer to Flamengo, the most well-known football/soccer team in Rio.

Nothing to do with Ali in this one IMO. You may not agree, but that´s what I think.

MT

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I also heard of the theory of Ali-carrying a child- inspiring this song and it is likely by "big" he meant pregnant.

I'm pretty sure it's about large women - those little girls are a pest, big girls are the best.

It's defiinitely tongue in cheek, however.

Back
Top Bottom