that one lyric/line that hit home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickey

The Fly
personally, for me it was: "uncertainty, can be a guiding light" - zooropa

I won't deny the effusive background of the piece coerces me to put this into my own little box and dress it up avariciously, but that one reigns atop my U2 pedestal.

what about you guys? I've been getting excellent feedback so far to the questions I've been lobbying, I do hope this trend continues.

regards/adieu

For me, it's definitely "No one is blinder than he who will not see/No one is blinder than me..." from "I Threw a Brick". When I'm being stubborn and close-minded, that song is quite a wake-up call.

There's a lot, but the first one that came to mind was "There is no failure here, sweetheart/Just when you quit" from "Miracle Drug."

my favorite lyrics are from 'one tree hill' - the whole thing is a bearutiful, romantic, poem - haunting imagry. it would have stood as well as a piece of lterature, not to mention the music...anyway, the line that i come back to opens the song:
'we turn away to face the cold
enduring chill
as the day begs the night
for mercy...':ohmy:

There are lots of lyrics that get to me, but this one more than others:

Blessings aren't just for the ones who kneel...luckily

mickey said:
personally, for me it was: "uncertainty, can be a guiding light" - zooropa

:up: That is one of my FAVORITE lines... all of Zooropa really gets to me.

But I suppose I should choose a different lyric to add...

"We're beaten and blown by the wind
Trampled in dust.
I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain
Where the streets have no name"
--WTSHNN

I'm very emotionally attatched to that song. I guess I chose that lyric because I know in life we will be beaten, blown, and trampled. But we can get through it.

when i realized what U2 and Bono's faith was really like

His Love is like a drop in the ocean
-Yahweh

that line is so true...

"what more, in the name of love?"

From day one, it has always been the most meaningful for me. Sure, I can list countless other bits and peices of songs that hold a lot, but this is at the top. The meanings have changes so much over time for me, but ultimately, I can't really think of anything more.... it's the very top for me. Not just what is being said, but how...

Sometimes just thinking about it, or playing it in my head, like just now, gets reactions out of me.

......aside: I used to be so mad that the studio version ended with a somewhat abrupt fade. I felt similar to Bono, I think, in that it was over before it began. But now I get it a little more, in that... really...... what more could be said?

I suppose it was also my first real taste of something, a song, music, lryics, anything... going beyond words.

"The days, days, days run away like horses over the hill"

I love this one.
It makes me remember how short life is and to live each day to the fullest, no matter what.
It's a beautiful line.

blindinglights:
To me, zooropa is a massive endeavor. The particular line we both seem drawn to (amongst others, no doubt), is the very keystone in the arch of a song that reads more like a thesis to me. I did mention at the onset of this thread that I was extremely guilty of dressing the "uncertainty can be a guiding light" line in my own fashion. Reading what you've written, I trust that you will relate to my understanding of zooropa.

Everything about this song/thesis, seems like a bubble that is expanding. The background voices harnessing doubt within the expanding bubble, the questions...things that don't make sense for some within the bubble...until it goes nova and confusion looms. In the midst of zooropa the bubble explodes and right in the thick of this is where the uncertainty lyric lends direction and focus once more. This is the amazing context which makes this line for me.

the score, the background voices, the (if you will) expanding bubble and subsequently exploding, bono's calm demeanor at the beginning and disorderly self later - everything is huge about this song. Whether it was Europe coming together, society in general, references to Plato's cave, the good christ, or whatever, it's U2 making political observations at a magnificent level. Sunday, New Year's...these were fantastic at capturing a moment, feeling or situation. Zooropa is/was a thesis. It's very intelligent.

the one you've chosen, is just as large a song - perhaps in relation to spirituality, which because I've never quite found it, is very, very, tempting. Bravo blindinglights!

I do get super feedback to the questions I ask here at interference. Looking at my initial post I never asked for a reason, just the line - Hell, I never even provided a reason of my own. This isn't a poll, it wasn't clinical. I was indeed looking for a reason to go along with that one line that ensnared you - thank you for sharing.

i think mine would be from 'ultraviolet':

there is a silence that comes to a house where no one can sleep/i guess it's the price of love/i know it's not cheap

almost every time i hear that, i get a bit teary-eyed. it just reminds me of everything bad in my home life, but it always ends up being cathartic to hear bono sing those lines.

Like everyone else, I find so many lyrics inspiring and/or comforting, but the one that always comes to mind first for me is from Acrobat: "Don't the bastards grind you down." :up:

JCOSTER said:
Uhh, Like all the words to stuck in a moment.:|

Same here.

If I had to pick just one line though I guess it would be this one.

"In my dream I was drowning my sorrows but my sorrows, they learned to swim."

:hmm: This went through my head many many times during a time when I was going through a deep depression and was trying to, well, numb/drink the pain away. Of course it doesn't work, whatever you're trying to "drown" will certainly still be there and sometimes I can use a reminder of that. Luckily this is still one of my all-time favorite songs so I hear it often. :tongue:

for me it's a totally simple one (which will be repeated in my sig below) from Last Night on Earth: The world turns and we get dizzy.

I take from it that time goes on and we get caught up in problems and other issues in our life, but that doesn't stop time from going on. (In other words, life can be a bitch, but there's nothing you can do about it, so live with it!)

mickey said:
blindinglights:
To me, zooropa is a massive endeavor. The particular line we both seem drawn to (amongst others, no doubt), is the very keystone in the arch of a song that reads more like a thesis to me. I did mention at the onset of this thread that I was extremely guilty of dressing the "uncertainty can be a guiding light" line in my own fashion. Reading what you've written, I trust that you will relate to my understanding of zooropa.

Everything about this song/thesis, seems like a bubble that is expanding. The background voices harnessing doubt within the expanding bubble, the questions...things that don't make sense for some within the bubble...until it goes nova and confusion looms. In the midst of zooropa the bubble explodes and right in the thick of this is where the uncertainty lyric lends direction and focus once more. This is the amazing context which makes this line for me.

the score, the background voices, the (if you will) expanding bubble and subsequently exploding, bono's calm demeanor at the beginning and disorderly self later - everything is huge about this song. Whether it was Europe coming together, society in general, references to Plato's cave, the good christ, or whatever, it's U2 making political observations at a magnificent level. Sunday, New Year's...these were fantastic at capturing a moment, feeling or situation. Zooropa is/was a thesis. It's very intelligent.

I definitely understand your interpretation of Zooropa and can relate to it. Very nice observations. :up: While my interpretation is somewhat like yours, it has a different twist to it.

Lets just say, I don't know a lot in the world of current events, politics, happenings, etc. because of the fact that I'm only 16. Maybe that's ignorant, I don't know. So I take the song very personally, even though it's still about the entire world. I suppose the last lines, "Dream out loud" have an effect on the whole song. I didn't really GET IT until the song was over. That relates back to the very beginning, which asks (if I'm not mistaken), "What do you want?" In a sense, Zooropa kind of takes on the ethics of people and the motives of the world and pop culture.

We listen to what we're told and almost automatically believe what society tells us- "Be all that you can be. Be a winner. Eat to get slimmer." We try to be what society wants us to be. So therefore, on the outside, we're "squeaky clean". We get comfortable not letting what we really are show and letting society decide for us. "We've got that ring of confidence".

And then the tempo picks up, indicating a new part of the song. To me it represents a realization, coming out of the blurred vision of the first part of the song. It's when a person realizes that they have their own identity, their own voice. Somewhere. It's being masked by all of these outside influences- "I've been hiding". Then the chorus is a reassurance, telling people that being your own person is okay, even though it's a scary thing to go against society- "Don't worry baby, It'll be alright. You got the right shoes to get you through the night. It's cold outside, but brightly lit. Skip the subway, let's go to the overground. Get your head out of the mud baby. Put flowers in the mud baby.... Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright. Uncertainty can be a guiding light. I hear voices, ridiculous voices. In the slipstream Let's go, let's go, overground. Take you head out of the mud baby."

Then there's the call for action. Stand up for yourself. It's your life, your world. Live your own life. Don't just conform to society. "She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in. She's gonna dream out loud. Dream out loud."

:heart: ZOOROPA :heart:

I have to agree with the "Don't let the bastards grind you down"

That always lifts my mood when I've had a bad day.

And Where the Streets Have No Name. Pick a line from any part of that song :wink:

My husband who isn't a big fan went to the Cleveland concert with me. A few days later, I was obsessing about some little thing that had gone wrong (real or perceived). He said to me, "You know, you are 'stuck in a moment, and you can't get out of it'. You need to let it go." I never thought of that line that way before, and I think it was really cool that he said it.

"I know it aches, and your heart it breaks, and you can only take so much, Walk On, you've got to leave it behind."

Similar to the "Stuck" theme, if you think about it . . . like "Walk On" was the advice given so someone won't get "Stuck" . . .

There are so many lyrics that hit me hard - - that is one reason why I :heart: U2 so much.

^ :yes: walk on has always meant a lot to me: "I know it aches and your heart it breaks, you can only take so much, walk on" and the "you've got to leave it behind".. because it's pretty damn hard to leave certain things behind you. But you have to..
"what you got, they can't steal it, no they can't even feel it" :heart:

got2k9s said:
"I know it aches, and your heart it breaks, and you can only take so much, Walk On, you've got to leave it behind."
:yes: That's mine too. :)

That's the best one for me, it's brung a tear to my eye many times. But there's heaps more. Lately Original live (Every where you go you see me there behind you, love) really hits home.
I recently worked out that I'm bi, and I know my family is either not going to believe me, or be very disapproving. It feels good to know at someone (even if I don't actually know him) is going to stand by me.

Back
Top Bottom