Surrender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demosthenes

Babyface
Pretty much just wanting to know what sources there are out there about this song and its meaning (besides The Three Sunrises). Any ideas as to what it's all about?

Apperently it's loosly based on someone Bono really met that lived on the streets in NY, real name not Sadie, but it's about her. She had to surrender everything to find out who she really is...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Apperently it's loosly based on someone Bono really met that lived on the streets in NY, real name not Sadie, but it's about her. She had to surrender everything to find out who she really is...

I know Bono was refering to something when he wrote the line "She got herself up on the 48th floor"

I forget what...I know its in U2buU2...need to look that up

http://www.muorji.se/U2MoL/War/surrender.html

This song is about Bono asking God to go along and give in to sin. The city is portrayed as a thing that knows the singer personally and that attracts him. The city is light and bright in the night, this is very attractive to everybody. The song first portrays the city, then moves on to portray a prostitute (Sadie) who let go and gave in to the life of the city, because she couldn't find out why she was trying to be a good wife, raise a good family, lead a good life etc. She let it go and she is on the streets (prostituting?) and she meets the people we know (movie stars, famous Americans; they live in cities!). Now she finds herself on the 48th floor (penthouse of a wealthy person) to find out what she' living for. Both the first and second verses are ended with four times surrender, in the first verse it being the city which wants us to surrender to it and in the second verse it being Sadie who wants us to surrender to her (so that she can get what she's living for: love). The third verse moves on to portray the city again; Bono feels the city appeal to him. However he knows that the must die to himself someday to get eternal life. The third verse does not end with God asking us to surrender, but rather Bono asking God to surrender to him (Papa, papa sing my song) and to approve of Bono's surrender to the ways of the city.

^^Wow, I had never heard that before, but it makes sense.
Surrender is one of my favorite songs. In the book Into the Heart the author says that "Sadie" is a girl Bono knew from the towers in Dublin who let go and struggled with drugs and prostitution but the 48th floor was an illusion to suicide, like jumping off the building. I think I like the above description better. Thanks for sharing it!

No prob :wink: It's my favorite song off War. I can't understand why Edge dislikes this song? I mean c'mon! Larry sings along with it when they played it live!

Back
Top Bottom