Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Ok, so there are a fair number of people who don't like this song. But I actually quite like it. Sometimes the instrumental can annoy me, but the lyrics are fantastic. I only realised this on the 6th of October, this year.

You see, I was going away to Bathurst, in NSW, to see the great race, 1000km V8 Supercars, with my Dad for the second year in a row. But I just couldn't get excited for it and it was really upsetting me. I couldn't get out of this 'mood' or 'rut' that I was on.

The night before I left I chucked on All That You Can't Leave Behind, knowing full well that I found it uplifting in the past. I put it on, got happier during Beautiful Day, but then Stuck came on. And my god, for the first time I really enjoyed it because I could relate to the lyrics. Especially The Edge's falsetto -

And if the night runs over
And if they day won't last
And if your way should falter
Along that stony pass
It's just a moment
This time will pass

And it was at that moment I broke out of the 'mood'/'rut' that I was in.

So in conclusion - Stuck is actually a pretty good song, but I think it's strength is in it's lyrics. Go and have a listen. :up:

This song has pulled me out of so many sticky moments.

I can remember one particular time. I was quite upset/depressed, and I sort of said something to myself like "I just feel so stuck." And then I realized what I'd said and put the song on, and it made me feel better.

This song is brilliant and VERY unfairly treated. I'm sorry if some fans think they are too cool to like it. Whatever. Without this song, well, I dunno if I'd be where I am, to be overdramatic. But it's true. The lyrics remind you to stop wallowing in your self-pity, get up and do something about it. All bad stuff passes in the end.

The music is also brilliant, though. I dunno what people's problem is with it but they should take it up with me, heehee.

BTW hi Chass. :p

Chalk me up as one who despised this song upon first listen and even on the Elevation tour BUT really liked the acoustic/electric version being done on the 3rd leg - very intimate feel to start and love how Larry/Adam kick in towards the end...:applaud:

But I'm still not a fan of the song on record :reject:

This is the first song I play anytime I'm in a bad mood.

My boyfriend broke up with me about a month and a half ago out of nowhere and started dating someone else five days later. Needless to say, I was incredibly heartbroken, and I sorta hit a depression (that I'm almost out of). So I turned on my computer and play Stuck In A Moment on loop for a long time. It was sorta like the band was talking to me and telling me that it was going to be okay.

The line where it says "I never thought you were a fool, but darling look at you..." really hit me because my family was saying how ridiculous I was acting (which I probably was) about the whole situation. I realized that "these tears" really were going nowhere so I started to get over it, a little.

That's not my only situation where U2 music has helped me out, but it's the most recent.

chickadee said:
*chalks it up* Yeah I know where you live...

Lmao! I'm SO only joking. ;)

S'OK, chick - you can get back at me if you don't appreciate Lemon (one of my fav songs), which may need an appreciation thread all its own...

LikeNoOneBefore said:
This is the first song I play anytime I'm in a bad mood.

My boyfriend broke up with me about a month and a half ago out of nowhere and started dating someone else five days later. Needless to say, I was incredibly heartbroken, and I sorta hit a depression (that I'm almost out of). So I turned on my computer and play Stuck In A Moment on loop for a long time. It was sorta like the band was talking to me and telling me that it was going to be okay.

The line where it says "I never thought you were a fool, but darling look at you..." really hit me because my family was saying how ridiculous I was acting (which I probably was) about the whole situation. I realized that "these tears" really were going nowhere so I started to get over it, a little.

That's not my only situation where U2 music has helped me out, but it's the most recent.

:applaud: i can totally relate.

i also love "and you are such a fool...to worry like you do". i always feel like bono's talking to me during that line

i don't like the album version at all, and the way it was played on elevation was just alright. but the acoustic b-side is beautiful, and to hear it played acoustically at my vertigo show was amazing. :love:

the bridge is really beautiful to me...

i was unconscious, half-asleep
the water is warm
til you discover how deep
i wasnt jumpin
for me it was a fall
its a long way down to nothing
at all

OHH I love this song. It's the song that got me into U2. That's not why I love it though, it's just a great song. Some of my fvorite lyrics, and I love how he sings it.

Great song. My second favorite after Kite.

LOve it. I think the reason it gets a bit of a bad rap is that it's a "don't-give-up-you're-gonna-be-alright kind of song" and some people think that's corny. But bono said in Rollingstone that he thinks U2 are at their best when they say are being "uncool".

girlonstage522 said:

:applaud: i can totally relate.

Haha! Thanks! :wink:

Yeah, I had to turn Stuck In A Moment on again last night. Stupid boy...:madspit:

XD Moving on...

Which video of Stuck In A Moment did you all like better? I liked the European version the most.

LikeNoOneBefore said:

Haha! Thanks! :wink:

Yeah, I had to turn Stuck In A Moment on again last night. Stupid boy...:madspit:

XD Moving on...

Which video of Stuck In A Moment did you all like better? I liked the European version the most.

ahhhh boys are getting me down too...well just one boy...hang in there sister! :hug:

I was reading Into the Heart this morning and found it interesting that it was written about Michael Hutchence and Paula Yates. I'll post the exceprt tomorrow, but apparently Bono had been talking to Michael about suicide, and how it was the easy way out. And then when Hutchence was found dead, Bono wrote the song, angry he had taken the easy way out.

U2girl said:
:up: Beautiful song.

Totally agree, I've liked it since I first heard it, I was surprised the amount of people who thought it was crap.....

I like the video for it too (the Europian one) - I've only ever seen the other version once, I don't really remember it, is it good?

I like the European one better too cause it fits the song better, I think. They played it in the pub yesterday and I got so excited!

I thought Brandon Flowers only sang on In a Little While?

Last edited:
I didn't like this song when I first heard it, but its really grown on me since I first heard it live on the Vertigo tour. Now it's one of the U2 songs I listern to the most.

Back
Top Bottom