Still Haven't Found...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fast Eddy

The Fly
Lyrically and musically "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" has always has always been uniquely and almost overwhelmingly moving for me, ever since the Joshua Tree came out when I was in college (my housemates used to joke, after hearing me play the song in my room for the umpteenth time, "I sure hope Ed finds what he's looking for"). I've seen the song performed onstage 4 times since then and it's always a highlight of the evening.

In any case, I'm curious what the lyrics have meant for other U2 fans. It's always been pretty ambiguous (as great lyrics often are), with plenty of room for interpretation. I'll share my thoughts and would love to hear others (if for some bizarre reason you don't care for the song just move along to the next thread).

My sense is that it's a kind of gospel song, as Edge says (and he came up with the title and music, I presume Bono fleshed out the lyrics), articulating a sense of having faith in Christ or God yet feeling a sense of yearning nevertheless. But it feels like less a complaint or lament than a celebration almost. Like that feeling of not having "arrived" is what gets you out of bed in the morning and keeps you inspired. And also that not having all the answers to your questions is a good thing...

I've often thought of the song in relation to "Desire"--that in some sense desire can never be wholly fulfilled, that there will always be more to have, and that the trick is to accept this.

"Still Haven't Found" also works on one level as a love song about a relationship--so many gospel songs work on both levels--and that "having it all" in your relationship with another person is just never possible--or rather that looking to another person for complete fulfillment is destined to fail.

For me it's a very honest, bittersweet, but overall very uplifting song.

I don't think there's a "correct" interpretation, although it would be interesting to sit in a pub with Bono and Edge and talk about it over a pint. I'm sure there was some particular notion or event that triggered that line in Edge's head, and I'm sure Bono had some very specific ideas about what he wanted to convey.

The thing about the song that gets me, though, is just the feeling the lyrics and music convey--not the literal meaning of the words, just the sort of emotional response it elicits. Very powerful in a way that no other U2 song is (and there are plenty of other powerful U2 songs to be sure)

So what does the song mean to you?

Fast Eddy said:
It's always been pretty ambiguous (as great lyrics often are), with plenty of room for interpretation.

I think it's the least ambiguous song off of JT, one of the more straight forward songs of the 80's.

The belief is there, but the pefect relationship with God isn't there yet.

Re: Re: Still Haven't Found...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think it's the least ambiguous song off of JT, one of the more straight forward songs of the 80's.

The belief is there, but the pefect relationship with God isn't there yet.

:up:

We share some commonalities...also in college when the song/album came out, also very meaningful song for me. Immediately hooked the first time I heard it as an album cut (as opposed to With or Without You, which was...kind of "weird" at the time...I know that might sound strange, but you others out there who remember U2 before that know what I'm talking about)
Anyway..the refrain is so clever. The blatant Catholicism of the song is offset by the chorus which allows one room to seek his or her own meaning in life. It's an amazing tightrope that U2 has been able to walk its whole career: They have somehow managed to never be labled a "Christian" band, when so many lyrics are outright homages to Jesus. They don't ram it down your throat, yet it's so right there.

Musically, the song is incredible. It's truly one of the songs, not just by U2, that I literally never get sick of hearing. I think this is one of those songs that Bono must be talking about when he says The Edge is from outer space. Listen to the song and try and follow just the main riff from the song, from start to finish (not the Rattle and Hum version, the studio cut). Check out the way it sort of "skip starts' in the beginning. I know all the technical lingo about echo, reverb, and delay, but this is like a piece of art on tape. You can't even hum the melody because it exists on about five different planes. I can't get sick of it because I can't capture it in my brain. Kudos to Eno and Lanois as well. And thank you Larry and Adam for the driving rhythym that never lets up, but doesn't get in the way. As for Bono, vocals at his purest.

Thanks for starting this thread. I could discuss this song/album forever, but like you said, some just don't dig it. I can completely understand why many people would not appreciate this song the same way we do. The saturation it received in 1987 alone would be enough to turn some people off. It's standard placement in the live set might get old to some also. For others, it might be just another one of the "pop" singles. For me, the song holds a special place like no other.

the funny thing - or maybe it's just a gospel thing - is that this song almost seems to celebrate the fact that they still haven't found what they're looking for

for me it's about life/god/love all in the same time like most of my favourite U2 songs

I think this song is just incredible both lyrically and musically

awesome :up:

Salome said:
the funny thing - or maybe it's just a gospel thing - is that this song almost seems to celebrate the fact that they still haven't found what they're looking for

Yeah, that's a nice observation, It's like they can see the goal, and they know they're gonna get there, but don't mind too much where they are at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom