"Stay"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonogirl10

The Fly
Hullo!
i've been listening to "stay (faraway so close)" lately, esp. that new craig armstrong version and i was just wondering if anyone knew what it was about. Have a great day!

Well, I had been wondering this for quite awhile myself. I finally concluded if you did not think about Wim Wenders' movie of the same title, it seemed to be about a woman who's boyfriend/husband treated her bad. (beat her, etc.) Then I got Bill Flanagan's U2 At The End of the World and he discussed the time he was in the studio with Bono and he wrote the lyrics and started the music. He acted like Bono just started writing a loose set of lyrics, no relationship to the movie whatsoever except the "Faraway, so close" lines. He also said Bono tried to make it more romantic than when he first started. Soo.. you could take it both ways.

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Thanks for the reply! i agree w/"u2" hee hee, pun intended. i think it's 1/2 the abusive relationship and 1/2 wanting to be w/someone who may not notice u in that way..i dunno. i have the book that talks about the meanings behind the u2 songs but all i remember for stay was saying that it was done for the movie.

Originally posted by Bonogirl10:
Thanks for the reply! i agree w/"u2" hee hee, pun intended. i think it's 1/2 the abusive relationship and 1/2 wanting to be w/someone who may not notice u in that way..i dunno. i have the book that talks about the meanings behind the u2 songs but all i remember for stay was saying that it was done for the movie.

I have that book too. I like the book but Niall Stokes has a problem with ever actually coming up with answers to what they mean. (He also has some rather big errors but..)
Anyway, he didn't come up with a very good answer.. if any.
frown.gif
He mainly just talked about the movie.

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

It's one of my favorites off Zooropa though. It's so beautiful. It's got melodic rhythms (there are too many h's in that word!) and it soars. But if you listen closely, there's a bit of clashing with the keys, some notes stuck in to make it feel more uneasy. Fabulous.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

You're a victim of your parents.

Judoooooooo Chop!

This is one of my favorite songs. To me it is about a girl who doesn't really know who she is or what she wants. "A vampire or a victim, it depends on who's around". It's the girl who dates the asshole yet complains to her best guy friend that she just wants to meet a nice guy. It's the girl who wants to be the center of attention and complain about all her problems but who has no use for your advice. That's what the song makes me think of anyway.

Oh wow, i haven't checked this part of the forum for a while so i didn't see all the responses. lol. anyway, i think everyone's interpretations are pretty accurate. most u2 songs i guess mean a whole bunch of different things to different ppl which is why they're awesome! i mean sometimes a song will mean something and then the next day i'll be like "oh well maybe they're talking about this.."

"A vampire or a victim, it depends on who's around". It's the girl who dates the asshole yet complains to her best guy friend that she just wants to meet a nice guy.

I know many of that girl.
confused.gif

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

[This message has been edited by tackleberry (edited 03-07-2002).]

Originally posted by tackleberry:
"A vampire or a victim, it depends on who's around". It's the girl who dates the asshole yet complains to her best guy friend that she just wants to meet a nice guy.

I know many of that girl.
confused.gif

((((hug))))

I'm the girl that likes the nice guy that's in love with the "vampire" if you will. A viscious cycle fate has put us in eh?

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

There's been a lot of talk about "Stay" on this forum before, and it seems like a lot of these ideas are similar to those. I think there's an overall meaning that many fans have reached at least a general consensus on.

Clearly the character in the song has suffered at the hands of some sort of abuse; many assume it's a woman who's abused by her lover, though it could just as easily be an abused man. We get the impression this person (we'll just say 'she') is a human wreck wandering the city.

It suggests the whole psychology and emotional cycle behind domestic violence. It's very common for women to stay with an abusive partner--it's practically a stereotype. A woman who suffers this kind of abuse believes that the violence is her fault and actually has an inability to place the blame elsewhere, mainly on the husband. There are even some experts who believe that women with a certain dysfunction go so far as to assign meaning to the abuse (He hits me because he loves me... When he hurts me, I feel alive.) Clearly we can sympathize
with a person in this situation.

One key line--"a vampire or a victim"--is what makes the song appropriately complex. Many of you mentioned you know people like the one in the song. We all do. And we know how exasperating it is to extend our sympathy and support to those people and have them turn away and again do the wrong thing. They drain the love from deserving people, and give it to the undeserving. It depends on who's around.

The songs takes a turn at this point--there's another character, 'Me.' You look through me, talk at me and when I touch you you don't feel a thing. Here's where Wim's movie (and his other one, Wings of Desire, for that matter) comes in. In them, angels zip around the world (up with the static) watching episodes of human happiness and sadness like television channels. But like the TV viewer, they are unable to intervene in the lives of humans, whom they love. They're unseen, unheard and unfelt. This is a frustration many real people, including Bono obviously, can relate too.

Without giving away the movies (not that this would) the situation changes for an angel, as hinted at the end of the song. I have an entire other theory on the personal significance of that and how it relates to Zoo TV and Pop, but I'll hush up unless anyone wants to hear it.

I love that song, but not for the apparent reasons.

Not because it is a beautiful song etc.

I just simply love some of Bono's "Eastern European" lyrics. I love the imagery of gray Europe on a cold rainy day.

"satellite, television - you can go anywhere..."

Back
Top Bottom