Staring at the Sun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

souLnation2002

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Does anyone know what the song "Staring at the Sun" is about?

I'm not the only one
Staring at the sun
Afraid of what you'd find
If you took a look inside

*puts lit cap on*

it is about plato's republic.

also referred to as "the cave parable"

people (that's you and me) sit in the back of a cave in the dark, adn when they realize that the darkness is not the truth, some seek to find the truth, they then venture up to the mouth of the cave. they are mostly mislead by a reflection of light that is bounced off the cave wall onto them. many more are lost staring at this reflection of the light (light = truth). so just looking at the reflection of the light is only to accept a half-truth. others press on, they proceed toward the mouth of the cave. however, the light, the pure light, burns peoples' eyes, so many turn back because they were more comfortable staring at the reflection or at the blackness of the very back of the cave.

upon reching the light, accepting the light, and standing in the light, everyone goes back into the cave to start the journey over and over again.

the insect that is referred to is the gadfly. it 'burns' and 'scratches' and 'stings' because it entices people toward the light, asking why and other such questions.

"afraid of what you'll find
so you step back inside"

clearly that's about being fearful of the truth, so not venturing outside of the cave.

"not the only one, who'd rather go blind"

rather than sitting in the cave in his own reality, bono is saying how he would rather get that one bit of truth than die knowing nothing. which is, unfortunately, not how most people are.

in conclusion, i hope that helped you out some.

Last edited:
Wow, I like your interpretation, Lilly! I learned about Plato's cave theory about 2 years ago, but I never even thought about applying it to SATS. Impressive.

That's cool, Lilly! I never heard of that before! :happy:

But I always took the meaning in a similar way, applying it to today...

How people seem to be blind to everything going around them, how they're stuck in their own selfish word and nothing else matters.

In a way, it kind of reminds me of another song, "Don't Dream it's Over" by Crowded House...particularly this lyric...

"Now I'm towing my car, there's a hole in the roof
My possessions are causing me suspicion but there's no proof
In the paper today tales of war and of waste
But you turn right over to the T.V. page"

Lilly said:
*puts lit cap on*

It's not so bad when it's about U2, huh? ;)

Anyway, I love this song simply for the fact that I can have one interpretation that means so much to my own personal life, and you can have an interpretation that means so much to you...and we can both be right! (But isn't it that way with MOST U2 songs?) I don't really have a set interpretation of this song... it really varies with the mood I'm in and all... I know that didn't help at all... I'm just pointing out that the song can really be about anything you want it to be about.

wertsie said:
stuck in their own selfish word and nothing else matters.

In a way, it kind of reminds me of another song, "Don't Dream it's Over" by Crowded House...particularly this lyric...

"Now I'm towing my car, there's a hole in the roof
My possessions are causing me suspicion but there's no proof
In the paper today tales of war and of waste
But you turn right over to the T.V. page"

That's interesting, wertsie. :)

dern tests

hippyactress said:

It's not so bad when it's about U2, huh? ;)

:mad: no, lit is only bad when you are writing about the juxtaposition created when a couple on a first date at the opera meet up with her wacky parents. :rolleyes: oh yeah, then you spend like 50 minutes writing the damn essay and you have no time to finish your 3 OTHER essays properly so you fail the FUCKING TEST.

[/misplaced rant]

Staring At The Sun is brilliant! (No answer of the question what the song is about, but Lilly already said everthing I wanted to say. :yes: )

Back
Top Bottom