Spanish vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marik

Refugee
hey, on new years eve my band is performing a cover of vertigo, and with myself doing the back up vocals, i was wondering about the exact pronouncation of edge's backups. he says "ola!"- which is pretty straight forward. bu tthen what does he say? i've seen it spelled out beofr e, but still can't say it properly. could someone break it down for me?

¿cómo está?

Edge pronounces it "come èstá!"

Where "è" is like the "a" in apple.
And "á" like in "chicAgo".

It means "What is it like?", which makes Vertigo some sort of phone call:
:bono: Hello, hello!
:edge: Hello!
:bono: I'm at a place called Vertigo!
:edge: What's it like there?
:bono: It's everything I wish I didn't know!

I thought it was Donde Esta (I dont speak Spanish so apologies for my spelling) which apparantly means 'Where are you.'

hello hello
Im at a place called vertigo
(where are you?)

Ellay said:
I thought it was Donde Esta (I dont speak Spanish so apologies for my spelling) which apparantly means 'Where are you.'

hello hello
Im at a place called vertigo
(where are you?)
That makes less sense: it implies Edge is either stupid or partly deaf. :wink:
Bono says he's at Vertigo, why would Edge ask "where are you"?

Apart from the meanings: listen to Vertigo. Edge's part clearly starts with a "c"-sound, like in cómo está. :)

sorry but you're talking bullshit
Edge's asking Bono 'where is Vertigo' as Bono is saying that he is at a place called Vertigo
Got it?
The 'Donde Esta?' means 'Where is it?'

Nube Gris said:
sorry but you're talking bullshit
OK smartass, which of these conversations seem more logical:

Question: What's it like there?
Answer: It's everything I wish I didn't know!

or

Question: Where is it?
Answer: It's everything I wish I didn't know!

The latter doesn't make sense at all!

Plus, I'm really beginning to think the people on this forum have some kind of hearing problem. There is clearly a 'c' sound in Edge's part.

This reminds me of the thread where everyone persists that Bono says "My name is Paul, but people call me Bono" on the Chicago DVD, while it's 100% clear that he actually says "I call myself Bono".

:|

Edge clearly says "¿Dónde está?" which means "where is it?" referring to the strange place called VERTIGO. It's like a dizzy situation, Bono ask for help with his "Hello Hello I'm at a place called Vertigo" and Edge replies with a "Where is it?".

I'm sure he says "¿Dónde está?", I'm spanish and I know what am I talking about guys :wink:

www.todoU2.tk

It's 'donde'

If you listen, the two words 'donde' and 'esta' flow together nicely when edge sings them, as if one word.

'dondesta'

If it was 'como' the words wouldn't flow together as nicely.

BlackElectric said:
It's 'donde'

If you listen, the two words 'donde' and 'esta' flow together nicely when edge sings them, as if one word.

'dondesta'

If it was 'como' the words wouldn't flow together as nicely.
That's the other reason I think it's "donde esta?" There doesn't seem to be enough time for Edge to splurt out "Como esta?"

Well, if you're all that certain about it, I'm just going to leave this thread, OK?

Let me just tell you I didn't make this up myself. If you look for Vertigo lyrics on Google you will find that a lot of them actually have the "cómo está".

And eh, being Spanish won't help you much. 'Cause Edge is not Spanish, so maybe he just doesn't pronounce it right.

WalkOn21 said:

Let me just tell you I didn't make this up myself. If you look for Vertigo lyrics on Google you will find that a lot of them actually have the "cómo está".

Let me just tell you that in general there are a lot of incorrect lyrics posted out there...a lot. Hell even U2's liner notes are wrong sometimes.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Let me just tell you that in general there are a lot of incorrect lyrics posted out there...a lot. Hell even U2's liner notes are wrong sometimes.
My point isn't that those are correct, my point is that I didn't make the cómo está up myself.

Everyone's treating me like I'm the only one thinking it's cómo está, but there are a lot other U2 fans believing the same thing.

Peace, there's no need to argue over a U2 lyric.
Let's be angry about something else, like the poverty in Africa. :wink:

WalkOn21 said:

My point isn't that those are correct, my point is that I didn't make the cómo está up myself.

Everyone's treating me like I'm the only one thinking it's cómo está, but there are a lot other U2 fans believing the same thing.

Peace, there's no need to argue over a U2 lyric.
Let's be angry about something else, like the poverty in Africa. :wink:
Donde esta Africa? :confused: :wink:

having seen the vertigo tour live 6 times now and twice from the floor, once from in front of edge inside the ellipse, as well as performing the song on CONAN, SNL, TOP OF THE POPS, and MTV under the Brooklyn Bridge, et al,

as well as the bonus dvd from the special edition album, the ipod video, and the real music video (every 28 minutes for 3 months for 40 hours a week thanks the the looped preview at Best Buy when I worked there)

i can, without doubt or risk of being incorrect, officially and unequivocally state that edge is most definitely saying

DONDE ESTA

and having taken 8 years of spanish between high school and college, i can also state that the way edge says it, as one fluid wordsound like "dondesta" is correct. and that the phrase "como esta" can not be combined in a similar fashion i.e. (comesta). it is combined as "comosta" which leaves a long "o" sound in the middle, and in all forms of the song, no matter what you think the first sound is, the middle vowel sound is a long A sound (as produced by the e at the end of Donde)

also, Como EstaS means "how are you" or "how is it"

Como means "How". Cual means "What".

the performance on CONAN and the live version from the april 2005 ANAHEIM bootleg are the most obvious examples, as edge practically yells DONDESTA!

At the Anaheim show bono helps out with that callback ad the D sound beginning and long A sound "e" in the middle are very distinct.

There is no way to mistake it on that recording.

again, we aren't all trying to be rude, it is just a correction. a polite one at that.

I'm with everyone else. It's "Donde esta?"

You can see tell when you see them in concert. Edge mouths the D's in the word and you can clearly hear it.

OK, another theory.

U2 are known for making minor changes to lyrics in live versions. On other forums, the idea was proposed that he says "cómo está" on the album version, and "donde esta" in the live version.

That makes sense to me. You may all be right about the live versions, but the album version definitely is "cómo está".

The album version seems unfinished anyway. "Hours of fun" isn't recognizable, which leads to the idea that the lyrics weren't finished at the time of recording the album version (more about this theory, which is supported by many others, in the "Embarass yourself here" thread).

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:lol:

Someone's having a hard time letting go...
And another someone seems quite convinced that they're correct.

OK, there's no point in denying that he sings Donde Esta live. But you have to be deaf if you don't hear a c-sound on the album version. Heck, I'd bet that if you would make a wave analysis and compare that sound to a wave analysis of a c-sound, it would match.

But go on believing he sings Donde Esta on the album. And while you're at it, don't forget believing Bono sings 'hours of fun' on the album version. :wink:

WalkOn21 said:
Heck, I'd bet that if you would make a wave analysis and compare that sound to a wave analysis of a c-sound, it would match.
Hey, even voice recognition software can be obviously wrong sometimes. :wink:

With Or Without You

Cedar stench set E-mail eyes
C4 Stores Christine Northside
I'd weigh Ted for you

Sight of hand and wrist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes Newsnight
And I weight without tunes
With or without tunes
With all without tunes

See the Stalin we received the Shell
You'd give it all but I want more
And I'm waiting four-year
We will Orwell you
With or without too
Armagh I can't live With or without
Tim With or without Tim

And you give yourself a weigh
And you give yourself a weigh
And you give
And you dive
And you give yourself away

My hands are tied
My body brood
Puberty with nothing to win and Nothing left to lose
And you give yourself away
And UTRs yourself away
And you give
And is Keith
and UTRs yourself away

With or without tunes
With or without tunes
Armagh I can't leave With or without Tim
With or melted
With all without you'd
I can't live With all won't you
With or without cheese
Yeah Ewe

We'll shine like stars
Increase some old knight
We'll Stein like stars
Enter winter night
One part
One side
One love
We've all with outdo
With Orwell cheese
Armagh
I can't live With or without cheese

:lmao:

http://members.aol.com/patburn1/VoiceFrameSet.html

Seriously, go to that site, it's the funniest thing.

It's Donde esta. I'm convinced.

Except I'm not so convinced with "Hours of fun." What do you guys hear?

Anyways, I digress.

*sings* Why can't weeee be frieeenndds?

It's "donde estas?", and it means "where is it?"

Como estas, means "how are you", just a different thing.............

Anyway, after a year there are still ones who haven't get that edge says donde estas??

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom