Someone explain Unknown Caller to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe is Jesus that man, an God is telling him to reboot...

Just a thought..

I don't think there is any definitive right/wrong answer (which makes this song great!), but my wife is convinced that this song is about "The Passion" - meaning the events of the day of Christ's crucifixion.

"I was lost between midnight and the dawning..." = arrested in Gethsemane

"3:33" = approx. time of Jesus' death on the cross

"Speed dialing with no signal" = "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

Then, God in the chorus raising Christ, force-quitting the old Law, moving Sin to trash, etc, etc.

Yes I see your point here. I suppose (if I have understood you correctly) using the same thinking does it really matter if he survives. In fact the word "survives" would be redundant under this understanding because either way he doesn't 'not' survive.

Oh I'm not saying that that is what Bono or even the song meant etc. You're right the circumstances don't matter. My comment is really just how I see it. It's more of a visual thing rather than an analytical one. Also here I wasn't talking about 'The Fly' the song itself but rather 'The Fly' the character. You know the sinner who doesn't just sin but revels in his sin. I suppose the reason why I thought of him is Bono's comment about The Fly where he says that the Fly is a guy calling from hell and enjoying it there. The line in Unknown caller "Speed-dialing with no signal at all" with the imagery of the phone call reminded me of Bono's comment regarding the Fly. Even MacPhisto's phone calls during the concerts. Actually while I've been writing this another song has reared its head, The First Time especially this bit:

My father is a rich man, he wears a rich man's cloak
Gave me the keys to his kingdom coming
Gave me a cup of gold
He said 'I have many mansions
And there are many rooms to see'
But I left by the back door
And I threw away the key

Again this idea of God calling out although the chappie in The First Time doesn't respond to the call. Just as a person when they're young feel they don't need anything or can do anything but with age comes maturity, wisdom and perhaps an awareness of one's own hubris. So for me I think I see this as a journey from being the arrogant guy in The Fly to the mellower and maybe humbler fellow in The First Time to the lonely solitary almost nihilistic figure (In a place of no consequence or company). I'm not saying that NLOTH is cynical, rather what I am saying is that this is the cure to cynicism. As the reviewer in the NME said this is an "uncynical" album. (What is the antonym of 'cynical'?)

These are just some rough thoughts or my picturing of the various songs. I suppose I tend to see all the songs as chapters in a novel (or maybe a few novels) with characters reappearing and growing older (sometimes wiser, at other times more foolish). I find fascinating how they change over time. Like how The Fly becomes MacPhisto in his old age. So although MacPhisto is meant to be a Screwtape type character I also see in him real characters i.e. not just a metaphor or a didactic characterisation but also someone who genuinely believes in what he is saying. I hope the last couple of sentences make sense.

BTW not trying to convince but trying to understand and perhaps sort out my thoughts.

:up:

First of all, perhaps I should apologise for not having stated something clearly, it is that I consider your interpretation very good and worthy, that's why I asked you to eleborate, so you could convince me. I love this kind of debates and when I say "convince me" it's just a way of saying let's give it a second thought, we can discover more things, but unfortunately I've been very busy today and haven't done my "homework".

Our views of the song are closer than you may think, much more now that I can understand what you wanted to say with the Fly phoning and MacPhisto; I completely agree with what you say about The First Time, that was one of the first things I thought when I listened to this song.

Believe it, I sometimes interpret some songs as chapters too, so I relate one to another. I see a very strong connexion between this song and Moment of Surrender, which is immediately before Unknown Caller in the album, I imagine the character in MOS is a drug abuser who's come to the limit and is about to die or commit suicide when the song ends (I could eleaborate more, but I'm really short of time today), then Unknown Caller starts "sunshine, sunshine", flashback, and we see what happened how he was saved. I know it's a risky thought, but I would like to know your opinion. Thank you!

:up:

First of all, perhaps I should apologise for not having stated something clearly, when I say "convince me" it's just a way of saying let's give it a second thought, we can discover more things, but unfortunately I've been very busy today and haven't done my "homework".

but I would like to know your opinion. Thank you!

no need to apologise at all; i think i should have put a smiley at the end of my sentence as that particular comment was a light hearted one.

Anyway I'm kinda busy today but will get back to you (didn't want you to think I was ignoring you) sometime over the weekend.

It's so nice to find people who like this kind of things. Thank you!

Oh, no need to thank me. :hug:
It really is indeed. I don't visit this section of the forum very often, but it's nice to interpret those lyrics.

Oh, no need to thank me. :hug:
It really is indeed. I don't visit this section of the forum very often, but it's nice to interpret those lyrics.

Oh, yes, yes, "thank you" is a wonderful expression we don't ever hear enough of. :hug:

I love poetry and literature, interpreting lyrics is a secondary "pleasure" I always get from U2 songs, the first one being listening to them, of course. It's so different with other artists who just say "oh, she's beuatiful, so beautiful...", you understand me. :wink:

Village Idiot, I've been very busy for the last few days, but this is to tell you not to mind about this, I've read Bono's answer to my question in an interview, so now it's clear. Thanks anyway.

Village Idiot, I've been very busy for the last few days, but this is to tell you not to mind about this, I've read Bono's answer to my question in an interview, so now it's clear. Thanks anyway.

Ok no worries.

BTW what was Bono's answer if you don't mind sharing.

Three thirty-three:

“Call to me, and I will answer you; I will tell you things great beyond reach of your knowledge.” Jeremiah 33:3

That's why 333 is referred to as "God's phone number," something that Bono's said in the past.

But, 3:33 is not necessarily the same thing as 33:3! A subtle, but perhaps crucial difference.

Oh, yes, yes, "thank you" is a wonderful expression we don't ever hear enough of. :hug:

I love poetry and literature, interpreting lyrics is a secondary "pleasure" I always get from U2 songs, the first one being listening to them, of course. It's so different with other artists who just say "oh, she's beuatiful, so beautiful...", you understand me. :wink:

:lol:
Yes, I do...
And yeah.... "thank you" FTW :rockon: :hug:

To me its a latter-day gospel song, something the mainstream might not grab onto, taken at face value the lyrics are a bit cringe-worthy, but with that and mind and the vocal delivery/harmony make the song insanely powerful to me!

Bobo has said this one is the same character as in MOS.

Where MOS is about an existential crisis, UC is about the man at the end of his rope talking to god about what to do.

The sunshine bit is the following day waking up and seeing the world in a brand new light, and when the acoustic kicks in it's the flashback.

I was lost... doesn;t refer to being physically lost, but spiritually and emotionally, and he is between the midnight and the dawning is more a reflection of between dark and light. The numbers falling off the clockface probably refers to his waning belief in salvation.

Speed dialing with no signal at all reaffirms this line, he is calling God for clarity and he's not getting through. MOS folding to his knees is probably referencing the momnet it all falls apart and he turns to religion to pull him through (stations of the cross, knees etc). In a place of no consequence or company reveals the privacy of his location, somewhere you would go to kill yourself, no-one around, and no consequence alludes to the fact he has lost faith, and believes that when he's dead, he is gone for good.

The chant is god on the phone telling him to keep living. shout it out, rise up. the oooohhhh's is probably to create the heavenly vibe surrounding god's voice.

He was at the top of the bottom, meaning he had been lifted from his prevoious doom, but was still acknowledging his physical circumstances. At the edge of the known universe refers to uncertainty, meaning he's not sure now what path he will take, so he metaphorically drives to the point in time (scene) that he envisages his death, and waits for himself (he is uncertain about whether he will do it.

God responds - restart and reboot yourself etc.

The solo itself is an emotional ride more descriptive than any lyric. The organ gives the churcy feel, then the sprialing french horn riff which emotes ascention, yet uncertainty, the edge explodes. Edge's solo is on fire, he is having an existential epiphony, he is spiralling and coming to the surface of his dispair, and then it ends on the calming tones which brings him full circle to the intro

Never take LSD while you're on the cell phone or reading your email... especially when you're listening to other people's calls and reading their emails.

in your opinion?

In my opinion, if you go in with the attitude that, "Oh, this is brilliant, now I just have to figure out why," you've already decided exactly how you feel about it.

"Password, you enter here," and "Force quit and move to trash," almost ruin the song for me.

Ok no worries.

BTW what was Bono's answer if you don't mind sharing.

So sorry I've been away for a couple of weeks, Bono said that it's (probably) the same character in both songs, a drug abuser who's gone to the edge of his very life, in the first song he's lost everything including his wife, he can't recognise himself in a mirror anymore, then in the second he's in an altered state (he doesn't say why, but may be drugs) and he starts receiving these messages that probably save him.

I really like the idea of the "sunshine, sunshine " part being the aftermath. it could be the character awakening to a new appreciation of life. It could equally be them going "towards the light" having ended it all... In fact you can hear some quite trippy, backwards noises while the very words are being sung, suggesting memories running backwards to the point at which the protagonist is about to kill him/herself...

In my opinion, if you go in with the attitude that, "Oh, this is brilliant, now I just have to figure out why," you've already decided exactly how you feel about it.

"Password, you enter here," and "Force quit and move to trash," almost ruin the song for me.

Exactly, this song is just filled with meaningless metaphor. I can't stand this song personally. I just hear Eno in the background and I want to strangle the dude. Bringing him back for the past 3 albums... BIG MISTAKE. 1 album (ATYCLB) fine, give me a throw back to the JT years... but seriously, this song is crap that Eno would write. BLAH

WCF,

Unknown Caller is a great song and a creeper too. It reflects something that U2 have embraced in their later years. PURE STRAIT FORWARD COMMUNICATION. In this track they are relating personal anguish that people feel in jobs, family, relationships and using 21 Century lingo computer commands. This off course is done with tounge firmly planted in cheek as spirituality and technology battle for humanity!

This song has nothing got to do with worshipping Macs. It is more about the comic/artistic fodder of how technology alienates us. For example a womans voice on a telephone or answering machine would perfectly sum up the 'technology' trade off.

The functions on the computer are very relevant as they describe how one should live their lives. It is part of Bonos attempt to always be communicating with others. But he knows that a whole generation of under 25s soley communicate online and simply do not get the understated. It also reflects the singers uneasiness about technology. If you look at Sydney 93 when Macphisto got a busy number is a perfect example. His reaction asks us what is 'disposable' in a technology driven world. And what is disposable is human beings. This concerns him.

The key to Unknown Caller is the word Unknown and would probably be stressed if you had a conversation with narrator. The word Unknown also exemplfies how much of our
interactions with people is on a business level and not in a personal way. The word Unknown also asks whether there is 'caring' for the personal in our daily reactions with people.

For example, if a person calls you trying to selling vacations the extent to which they care about you is selling you the vacation. They don't care if your dog is sick, home just got foreclosed etc. This concerns the narrator.

It is in effect, a 21st century spiritual. If this songs is telling you anything, it is to turn off your gadgets and climb a mountain...

it's too bad you can't allow yourself to like this. UC has become one of my all time favorite U2 songs. for me, MOS-UC transition may be the best two song combo in their career.

Exactly, this song is just filled with meaningless metaphor. I can't stand this song personally. I just hear Eno in the background and I want to strangle the dude. Bringing him back for the past 3 albums... BIG MISTAKE. 1 album (ATYCLB) fine, give me a throw back to the JT years... but seriously, this song is crap that Eno would write. BLAH

Pretty crap for a first post. Keep your Eno hate to yourself. He's basically a part of U2, face it.

There's nothing meaningless about this song.

UC is awsome, one of their best songs ever and it became truly alive when they performed it. :love:

Why do you put the blame of your personal incapacity to understand the song on someone else? It's fine, you don't like the song and you don't understand it, then leave it, may be you can get into it later, or not, nobody says you have to.

This whole song sounds like a classic "TWilight Zone" episode to me.

Even this part... the 3:33 being Gods own phone number.

“Call to me, and I will answer you; I will tell you things great beyond reach of your knowledge.” Jeremiah 33:3

That's why 333 is referred to as "God's phone number," something that Bono's said in the past. And the whole acident, suicide, tecnological, flashback imagery the song creates.
Yep... Twilight Zone :shifty: episode for sure :crack:

Now, if 333 is Gods number, I wonder what 666 stands for ?
Lets ask Mister MacPhisto

I'm a really lyrics-focused guy when I listen to music. So it really bothers me when I can't figure out the meaning behind a song. I can't even begin to interpret Unknown Caller. It sounds like this should be a deep song, one that reflects on your inner self... or something. But I'm not getting it. I can see it as a story about getting a call from some "Unknown Caller," but that just seems a little too shallow to me.

And what really bugs me is all that technical jargon! It's tough trying to get emotionally sucked into a song when I get the "nerd vibe" from a bunch of, well, old people :p And then they try and make it sound soulful or something with all the "oh oh oh oh's." The way they sing this makes me think of some geek cult worshipping their Macs or whatever. Its really just comical to me... and very disturbing.

I posted my defense of the techo-jargon here:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/magnificent-and-unknown-caller-in-raw-form-197265-6.html

When I heard Unknown Caller for the first time I was stunned. That opening "sunshine, sunshine" well, it's very personal to me as is the 3:33 reference.

But it was the part about the accident that really got me. I lived through a terrible accident but have never felt as if I survived--as if a part of me was left behind, a part a could never reclaim due to guilt. i felt there was no grace for me but this song--it truly sounded like Christ reasserting what Christ always asserts--that grace makes beauty out of ugly things. Oh, wait, it's Bono who asserts that--my apologies to both.:wave:

At any rate, the line, "you're free to go" felt like God was telling me that I was never guilty in the first place and I'm free to reclaim the parts of me I left behind.

I know. I sound crazy but I truly believe that God takes the path of least resistance to speak to us and I don't think there's anything I'm less resistant to than U2.

I thank all of those guys for their work every day. Thank you Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam. Thank you so much.

Maybe I'm way off, but to me the song seems more directly like the struggle of a (song)writer trying to tap into his inspiration. Of course that lends well to a more general struggle to find higher meaning and new purpose in life. Writer's block, yep.

So my first impressions of the song were Bono describing (overcoming) writer's block and today came across this Oprah interview quote of Bono's...:hmm:

When I was 10, I learned what unlocks creativity. We were studying William Butler Yeats, one of the great poets of the 20th century, and my teacher explained that there was a period when Yeats had writer's block. I put my hand up in class and asked, "Why didn't he write about that?" It was like, "Oh, shut up." I've since learned that there's something to being truthful. The Scriptures say the truth will set you free. The truth is at the root of every piece of creativity. So if you're truthful about your situation, whatever it is as an artist -- whether it's despair, whether it's hope, whether it's ambition -- suddenly you're there.

Isn't that what all real art is -- truth?

Yes. Truth is beauty. That can be a hard thing to say, because some things are not so attractive on the surface. But by owning up to them, we change them -- just by speaking them. The first line on the page can be "I have nothing to offer. I'm empty today." That's why public confession -- whether it's part of religious practice or on your show -- is so important.

In my music, I try to be as truthful as I can. I'm not sure I can be as honest in my life as I can be in my music, because with manners comes insincerity. Like "How are you?" "I'm very well." But I'm not. I have a massive hangover. Truth is sometimes difficult.

So my first impressions of the song were Bono describing (overcoming) writer's block and today came across this Oprah interview quote of Bono's...:hmm:

Thanks for posting that. :up:

I've always suspected that he was far more honest and autobiographical in his songwriting than most people realize. Like it's a safe outlet for him, as he confirms in that quote.

Back
Top Bottom