SBS Lyrics-Everything I Knew Was Wrong!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMBLover

The Fly
a place that has to be believed to be seen...
Well, not everything. But I noticed this huge lyrical mistake I've been making for like, my whole life. On Sunday Bloody Sunday Bono sings "The trench is dug within our hearts.." I swear I always thought he was saying "The church has died within our hearts.." !!! I about died laughing when I discovered this as I was driving down the road. Anyway I gotta admit i prefer my version:wink: They seem fitting you know referring to Bono's skepticism of organized religion, no?? Anyway has anyone else ever gotten that line wrong?

We all have problems like that. When I am writing stuff sometimes I hear songs wrong and I'm like "damn thats a good lyric" and than I realize I was wrong so I use my misheard lyric as words of my own... (as long as they mean something to me!)

But thats a good one.

I always thought it said "let the daylight in, to fill up your room" in Mysterious Ways, instead of "pale light" :shifty:

I would hate to be singing the wrong lyrics outloud at a concert. ACK!

catlhere said:

I would hate to be singing the wrong lyrics outloud at a concert. ACK!

The worst with me is when I see bands I like and they do a song on the album i dont know the lyrics too exactly and so I sing along and am basically saying one or two of the right words that I know...

"how...got out... focus..... be...."

Feel like an IDIOT.

Sting said:
We all have problems like that. When I am writing stuff sometimes I hear songs wrong and I'm like "damn thats a good lyric" and than I realize I was wrong so I use my misheard lyric as words of my own... (as long as they mean something to me!)

But thats a good one.

I used to think the lyric in Gone was "you can have this suit of lies," not "suit of lights." I kind of like lies better, I guess 'cause I got used to it. Maybe I should write a song about a suit of lies :wink:

AtomicBono said:

I used to think the lyric in Gone was "you can have this suit of lies," not "suit of lights." I kind of like lies better, I guess 'cause I got used to it. Maybe I should write a song about a suit of lies :wink:

LoL.

Its interesting when the mistaken lyric could actually work with the song...

Beautiful Day... I thought he sang "What you don't have you don't need it now, and what you don't have you can FEAR some how"

But according to the lyrics book its FEEL. Makes sense.

I always get lyrics muddled up. It can be kind of embarassing to be singing along and have someone say "that's not how the song goes!" :lol:

In Trying to Throw I always thought he said... "and a woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle." i mean that couldn't possibly be a real lyric right?...

oh wait... :wink:

In Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own in the final chorus when Bono says, "...and it's you that makes it hard to let go..." I for some reason thought he said "and it's you I like to-say-hi-to (slung together) on the phone." I never really thought about it until recently and new realize what an idiot i am!

Also in sometimes the lyrics in the booklet say "Where are we now" but to me is sounds like "Hey now, still got me ___ you know, a house doesn't make..." What is that part?? :shrug:

Oh yes! There is more. I guess you can't really say I got the lyrics wrong, but for a while when I first heard Vertigo I thought Bono said "Let's go down and ???? (i just mumbled that part)" instead of "Lights go down and all I know..."

I hope you all realize how much courage these confessions take :D

LMBLover said:
Well, not everything. But I noticed this huge lyrical mistake I've been making for like, my whole life. On Sunday Bloody Sunday Bono sings "The trench is dug within our hearts.." I swear I always thought he was saying "The church has died within our hearts.." !!! I about died laughing when I discovered this as I was driving down the road. Anyway I gotta admit i prefer my version:wink: They seem fitting you know referring to Bono's skepticism of organized religion, no?? Anyway has anyone else ever gotten that line wrong?

You mean its not "the church has died within our hearts"???!?!!!

:uhoh:

AtomicBono said:

Me too!! :hyper: And it DOES make more sense, given the context of the song.

cjboog said:
Also in sometimes the lyrics in the booklet say "Where are we now" but to me is sounds like "Hey now, still got me ___ you know, a house doesn't make..." What is that part?? :shrug:
In that case, the lyrics book is wrong. The line is "Well hey now, still gotta let you know, a house doesn't make a home"

My personal favourite mishead lyric is from Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me:

They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're a lying honey bee
And you're turning tricks
With your crimson fix
You're a star

I like the sound of crimson fix... but what was I thinking with 'a lying honey bee'?

I dont give a damn what the lyrics book says, I still maintain Bono is singing

"lights go down on all I need and I know is that you..give me somethin..."

Either that or he's doing an incredible amount of slurring..

:shrug:

Heh. Rather similar to me thinking Bono says I'd eat her with a spoon in 'Desire.'
But then, I rarely understand what he's saying, between the brogue and the word slurring. I's always like,"Eh? What? Forget it, I'll just read it."

VintagePunk said:

Me too!! :hyper: And it DOES make more sense, given the context of the song.

ye, I never really understanded the suit of lights line :huh:

I am still not convinced that in "When the stars go blue" Bono says "Sunshine, baby".

I am still sure he says "sexually" :eek:

Back
Top Bottom