Rate HTDAAB lyrics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I know this may sound silly, considering the mood that the music and vocals set play a large role in how affective the lyrics are, but whatever! We can tell basically how good the lyrics are and I wanna know how you'd rate them in comparison to other U2 albums.

So far I'd place them in second place b.etween AB and ATYCLB (in 3rd). I love how personal they are, plus they're just very moving. Songs like Miracle Drug, Blinding Lights, A Man and a Woman and Crumbs From Your Table blew me away so far.

Ive studied hard, and am suprised there's not even ONE swear word in there. We had em on POP, but none on ATYCLB. Thought that there maybe at least one on here. Nut know.

Obviously it's hardly essential, but something just sounds good when Bono swears in a song!:wink:

Very solid lyrics, Bono's strenght to me as a lyricalist is to write more personal songs. AB and Pop had the same quality of lyric as HTDMAA, so I'd say it's in at third place to me. But I can't really tell until I hear them sung and the musical backdrop. If the music isn't really my thing it'll take the shine off the lyrics.

I'm really impressed and even more excited for the new album...if that's even possible!

quality lyrics...and i think you must hear the music too to judge the lyrics...see how they fit in with the flow of the song...if they are rhymed cleverly with the overall tune...stuff like that...i can't wait for this lp now

It's tough to rate without the music, but if I read only the lyrics to POP & ATYCLB, I would say this is easily better overall.

I'm glad there aren't lines like "If OJ is more than a drink, a Big Mac bigger than you think"
If perfume is an Obsession, then talk shows confession "

Eh, I really don't like half of the songs/lyrics on POP; I would rate that album as the worst lyrically though I know hardcore U2 fans love it. I like the personal nature of these lyrics.

riteshbhatt1 said:
It's tough to rate without the music, but if I read only the lyrics to POP & ATYCLB, I would say this is easily better overall.

I'm glad there aren't lines like "If OJ is more than a drink, a Big Mac bigger than you think"
If perfume is an Obsession, then talk shows confession "

Crap. I liked that line. Does my taste suck?

tkramer said:

Crap. I liked that line. Does my taste suck?

Not at all. I just think Bowling for Soup writes lyrics like that. It's not my personal preference. Of course POP also has some great lyrics ("Please")

The lyrics are very good with some stand-out lines. I'm very impressed by some of them, especially Crumbs From Your Table and Yahweh. No masterpieces such as One Tree Hill, though.

Considering the lyrics, I have a hard time believing any of these songs will be bad.

riteshbhatt1 said:

Not at all. I just think Bowling for Soup writes lyrics like that. It's not my personal preference. Of course POP also has some great lyrics ("Please")

I think Discotheque, Mofo, Staring at the Sun, Gone, IYWTVD, IGWSHA all have outstanding lyrics as well though :) its kinda funny.. you think Pop is all bubblegum music when you first hear it, but the lyrics are pretty deep, minus Do you feel loved & miami

How can anyone say these lyrics are 'solid'?

This is one of Bono's worst album lyrically. Look at the quality of the lyrics on Unfire, JT, AB....there we no 'uncomfortable' lyrical couplings.

As he gets older, his lyrics seem to get worse. We saw it start to creep in on Zooropa with Some Days Are Better Than Others. Pop had the odd poor lyrical coupling and ATYCLB had even more. Look at the lyrics in Grace for instance....its like he uses them 'cos they rhyme. Elevation (A Mole, Digging in a Hole? - it isnt what we are used to from our modern day poet, is it?)

HTDAAB has lots of little couplings that just dont sit right. All Because of You for instance, has many. As does Yahweh, Miracle Drug and LAPOE.

So yes, this album is not solid lyrically at all. It could, in fact, be their worst album in this respect. The music is great and some lyrics are excellent, but its the bad ones that stand out.

To give Bono credit, he has written hundreds of songs in his life, 95% of them are amazing, by the time I would be his age I would be running out of ideas too!

The lyrics on this album are the strongest since Joshua Tree in my opinion. Which is really what brought Joshua Tree such good press in the first place.

Not being a huge fan of Pop, I must butt-in here and say that songs such as Please and especially Gone are genius.
To me, Bomb, is a very personal album, like Bono having a one-on-one with his faith.

Back
Top Bottom