Question about Elevation Boston lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neutral

genius of compression, Forum Moderator
forty miles from atlanta, this is nowhere
Errr hi I'm coming out of lurking finally.

I've rediscovered U2 recently, to the point of obsession. :yikes:
I've been watching the Boston DVD a lot and I have a couple of questions about the show lyrics.

First... In A Little While. I'm a little perplexed about how that could have ever been a song about a hangover. Anyone have an idea?

OK this is a more general question that might not belong here but I wasn't sure where to put it. Is there a listing anywhere of the words he's sort of mumbling between songs that aren't quite loud enough to understand? Argh I can't recall the exact songs now but before Kite (I think) for example, he mumbles 2 or 3 words. I've listened and listened to it and it sounds like he says "Key of C" which couldn't possibly be right? Argh I'm such a dork. :slant:

Perhaps the line;

In a little while, I won't be blown by every breeze
Friday night running to Sunday on my knees.

That's probably my favorite verse from that album, suggests a weekend long bender to me. :drool:

neutral said:
Errr hi I'm coming out of lurking finally.
First... In A Little While. I'm a little perplexed about how that could have ever been a song about a hangover. Anyone have an idea?

I was under the impression that the lyrics to this song were made up while Bono had a hangover in the studio.

}:)~

the thing most people don't get is when someone says a song's "about a hangover" or "about Jesus and Judas" etc... all that means is that's what they were thinking about when the inspiration for the lyrics hit... from that point on anything goes and it's open to interpretation.

neutral said:
I can't recall the exact songs now but before Kite (I think) for example, he mumbles 2 or 3 words. I've listened and listened to it and it sounds like he says "Key of C" which couldn't possibly be right?

check this file to see if it's what you were looking at. It's a 'cleaned up' mp3 of what he says before Kite.

Sounds to me like "seek love"

The funny thing is, if you reverse it, sounds like "a mongoose"

heh heh

Attachments

• kite.mp3
    20 KB
neutral said:

I don't know if the song was written after a hangover but it is about one. Going out on the town from friday to sunday and hoping that 'she will still let him in'

I read in an interview with the band, when asked about Bono's beautiful 'hoarse' voice on this particular song, Edge replied that Bono in fact had a late night the night before recording it!

Guess that is what he means when he says he has to be' in the songs' to sing them best.:wink:

Sleep well

During the Boston DVD after Bono tells us about Kite, he does approach the microphone right before the song starts and says "Sleep well". I think it's a reference to those who have passed away, maybe his mother, a friend, etc.

Re: Sleep well

beLIEve said:
During the Boston DVD after Bono tells us about Kite, he does approach the microphone right before the song starts and says "Sleep well". I think it's a reference to those who have passed away, maybe his mother, a friend, etc.

Thanks! That's it!!!! }:)~ I finally got around to listening to it again... "seek love" was kinda "ehhsortaidunno"... thanks for your good ears!!!

goat

Er...I have another question about DVD lyrics, I guess I can just add it on here. I'm trying to figure out exactly what Bono says before Streets. I think it's

"What can I give back to God
For the blessings he poured out on me
What can I give back to God
For the blessings he poured out on me

I'll lift high the cup of salvation
That is a toast to our Father
Following through on the promise he made to me,
From the heart"

It's a little different than listed here.

Here's the track I'm using.
http://neutral.ws/music/StreetsBostonDVD.mp3

:eek:

Bono is paraphrasing from Psalm 116 (the Message version):

Psalm 116
1I love GOD because he listened to me, listened as I begged for mercy.
2He listened so intently
as I laid out my case before him.
3Death stared me in the face,
hell was hard on my heels.
Up against it, I didn't know which way to turn;
4then I called out to GOD for help:
"Please, GOD!" I cried out.
"Save my life!"
5GOD is gracious--it is he who makes things right,
our most compassionate God.
6GOD takes the side of the helpless;
when I was at the end of my rope, he saved me.

7I said to myself, "Relax and rest.
GOD has showered you with blessings.
8Soul, you've been rescued from death;
Eye, you've been rescued from tears;
And you, Foot, were kept from stumbling."

9I'm striding in the presence of GOD,
alive in the land of the living!
10I stayed faithful, though bedeviled,
and despite a ton of bad luck,
11Despite giving up on the human race,
saying, "They're all liars and cheats."

12What can I give back to GOD
for the blessings he's poured out on me?
13I'll lift high the cup of salvation--a toast to GOD!
I'll pray in the name of GOD;
14I'll complete what I promised GOD I'd do,
and I'll do it together with his people.

15When they arrive at the gates of death,
GOD welcomes those who love him.
16Oh, GOD, here I am, your servant,
your faithful servant: set me free for your service!
17I'm ready to offer the thanksgiving sacrifice
and pray in the name of GOD.
18I'll complete what I promised GOD I'd do,
and I'll do it in company with his people,
19In the place of worship, in GOD's house,
in Jerusalem, GOD's city.

Hallelujah! al

to the question about in a little while:

In a little while
This hurt will hurt no more
I'll be home, love

-could possibly mean something about the hangover wearing off now that he's home. or something like that i guess.?

If I crawl, if I come crawling home
Will you be there?

-after a night (or weekend) out he's crawling because he's got a hangover hoping that his love will be there...

--the rest of the song... i don't know. i think it may have something to do with actually addressing the person that he's going home to.

eh, sorry if that didn't make much sense.

Ok I have a question about "Sunday Bloody Sunday".... I realize the second part of Bono's ad-lib is from Bob Marley... but where is this from or what does it mean?
Oh Johnny was a good man, love
Oh Jonny was a good man

Is it some Irish folk song I'm thinking? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom