Question about An Cat Dubh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackElectric

The Fly
At about 2:53 Bono says something and I can't make out what it is or find a set of lyrics that answers my question. A little help?

Oooh! Thanks. I hope you can figure it out. It's really been bugging me for a while now :slant:

Just had a listen and it seems to be unclear alright...

I always bluffed my way through that line when singing along by singing something "see his eyes... in circles... see you" or something like that, but having had a listen I now realise that there is no way they are the lyrics!

Jesus Blackelectric, that's a real tricky one!!

OK, my evaluation.

It may well by bonobabble, he's been accused of such acts before. But I doubt it was ever meant as that. Even if the delivery is mumbled, I'm sure there was some degree of intention.

It sounds to me like "see a face, inside you/them"
or perhaps the "face in" is actually "facing", although it's very very hard to say.

What do you think incidentally?

I'm sure, with the calibre of U2 buffs on this very excellent forum, that someone will know the answer.

And sorry for the delayed response!

Hm, it really does sound like "see a fact in side you."
I wonder if that's really it...:shrug:

But in the live version I have, the one from that Boston WarTour show someone posted earlier, it doesn't seem as if that's what he's saying. Unless he changed the words in the live performance of it. :confused:

yeesh, it's all so confusing. Hopefully we'll figure it out.

Just listened to the live version a little more closely. It sounds like he's saying "here's a lesson: fight a fire, fight a fire."

That's definitely a changed lyric then, there's no way he's saying that on the album version.

I assume the song's about early sexual experiences, in which case the 'see a face, inside you' line makes sense.

But I'm sure somebody will know, they just have to read this thread and post the answer!!!:scratch:

Yah, I heard it's about a quick fling Bono had with a girl when Ali and him where on a bit of a break. So the line defianetly makes sense. You may be right. :applaud:
But I'd still like a definite answer from someone :|

I love this song for the pure and simple fact it IS so mysterious. Due to the history of it what went on in that part of Bono's life was obviously private and between only he and she and we fans may forever be wondering what the real lyrics are. Throw into the mix the fact that Bono's famous for changing lyrics live...... My vote's on "See a face inside you" or "see her face inside you".

Lol, well I don't write them down, I just sing whatever pops in my head at the time! I decided to help with studying I maybe should put some facts about history into u2's songs to help me remember!

chickadee said:
Lol, well I don't write them down, I just sing whatever pops in my head at the time! I decided to help with studying I maybe should put some facts about history into u2's songs to help me remember!

I've sometimes wondered if trying to fit facts into a familiar tune would work too (after all lyrics seem to stick in people's heads easily enough). Still, too late now! <awaits 18th with dread- yeah, my revision did not go exactly well...>

TheQuiet1 said:

I've sometimes wondered if trying to fit facts into a familiar tune would work too (after all lyrics seem to stick in people's heads easily enough). Still, too late now! <awaits 18th with dread- yeah, my revision did not go exactly well...>

I am waiting to mate...its driving me nuts..i feel like i have done very well in my exams and that they were not too hard..i just wonder well come on i have had to f**k up somewhere..i am paranoid now that i have:huh:

LJT said:

I am waiting to mate...its driving me nuts..i feel like i have done very well in my exams and that they were not too hard..i just wonder well come on i have had to f**k up somewhere..i am paranoid now that i have:huh:

For me, the worst part is one of two things:

1. People saying "but it's a good sign that you found it hard, it means you were tested by the paper which is what it's meant to do" (Yeah, but am I meant to be so 'tested' that I don't know what to put or what the question actually is asking me?! <see Geography exam section A>)

2. The fact that in every single exam I've ever done (with the possible exception of psychology last year) my idea of how I've done in the exam does in no way match the examiner's idea of how well I've done in the exam!

But anyway, good luck! Your feelings sound exactly like my friend's who going to Edinburgh uni to train as a doctor so she needs good results! But she's had this feeling at each exam time (GCSEs onwards) and she's always done well so I'm sure you will too!

:bump:

I know it's old, but it's better than starting a new thread. Did anyone figure out what it is Bono's saying? Considering the song is about a cat, would it have anything to do with a cat?

I just listened to it, and it definitely sounds like "See a face inside them". That is definite. But the bit he mumbles after that I'm stumped for.

ha ha, jesus cobl, the bit he mumbles after that is gone to the world! we will never know!

as for the song being about a cat, i'm curious... is the song from the perspective of the cat, or is the "she" the cat? :wink:

I like to think of it as "she" being the cat. Seeing as he whispers "she cat" every now and then. Seems logical. Though I'm not saying my thoughts are for certain.

BlackElectric said:
I like to think of it as "she" being the cat. Seeing as he whispers "she cat" every now and then. Seems logical. Though I'm not saying my thoughts are for certain.

I've always thought "she cat" was "she got it". Or are you referring to something else? :| But anyway, she's the cat. Who's the blackbird? He is?

And I have no idea what he's saying. :drool:

Just a question I really should know the answer to by now ...
what does "an cat dubh" translate to? I assume it's gaelic?

LemonMelon said:

I've always thought "she cat" was "she got it". Or are you referring to something else? :| But anyway, she's the cat. Who's the blackbird? He is?

And I have no idea what he's saying. :drool:
:yes: That's how I see it.

"She" is the cat.
Bono is the blackbird whom the cat.... takes advantage of sexually.... :scratch:

I think its best to think of them as metaphors.
"She" is a woman.
Bono is the man "she" takes advantage of.

And the lyrics?

I'm pretty awful at understanding Bono, but somehow I manage to hear it as:

"She's a seaside town."

or sometimes:

"She's a cease again."

But if I were me, I wouldn't ask me what any lyrics are. I live on the lyrics booklets.:wink:

Meghan said:
But if I were me, I wouldn't ask me what any lyrics are. I live on the lyrics booklets.:wink:

So do I! That actually helps me get into albums. ATYCLB, Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree...I was very disappointed to pay $18 for Boy to find no lyrics.

:yes: My little tradition when I get a new album is to sit down (or lye down) in my room with the lyric sheet and read along so I don't get screwed up later.

So yeah, when I couldn't do that for Boy, October, War (some of it anyway) and UF I had to go on the net and print 'em all out.

Back
Top Bottom