Possible reason why Bad is named Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Bad is one of those songs where the title is a mystery. Since the song is about heroin addiction it could be saying that heroin is bad, but that seems a little cliche for U2. There's also the rumor that it stands for Bono Against Drugs, but I don't think anyone really believes that.

Well, while I was studying for my linguistic final today, I came across a chart where the word "bad" was listed in a couple different languages. I was surprised to discover that "bad" in Welsh is "drug"! So of course my mind went to U2, and I was thinking that maybe Bad was selected as the title of the song because it would have a double meaning- sort of acknowledging that the song is about drug addiction while saying that drug addiction is obviously bad.

Of course, this could just be the result of too much studying, but I thought I'd throw this theory out there. (And yes, I know that U2 isn't Welsh, but since they're close to Wales I figured they might know a word or two. Plus, I think I remember reading that the Edge was born in Wales. But maybe I'm confused.)

------------------
"Edge could open a grocery business...hardware, do it yourself. Larry could do the security business. Adam's Larry's bodyguard. I'm going to open a creche...a daycare for befuddled rockstars, the dazed and confused." -Bono on U2's plans to move to Chicago 10/16/01

"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono 5/9/01

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
Well, while I was studying for my linguistic final today, I came across a chart where the word "bad" was listed in a couple different languages. I was surprised to discover that "bad" in Welsh is "drug"!

Hey, that's interesting. You never know, maybe they knew about this.

And yes, The Edge was born to Welsh parents.

Bad is one of those songs where the title is a mystery. Since the song is about heroin addiction it could be saying that heroin is bad, but that seems a little cliche for U2. There's also the rumor that it stands for Bono Against Drugs, but I don't think anyone really believes that.

lol I'd never heard this before. Yeah, I think your explanation's better. I've been wondering what the title's about, but didn't think to look up the word in different languages. Thankyou!
smile.gif

I have never heard that explanation either but I think it would have to be the best one I've heard so far. It's true, the idea that the title is Bad because drugs are bad just seems too simplistic--especially since the song never comes right out and says it's about drugs--and I just cannot accept Bono Against Drugs!

It's a song about addiction. Is all addiction bad? I don't know...I'm just wondering about this.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

There may be some truth to that guess on Bad=Drug. I'd buy that.
Up until now, though, I always interpreted "Bad," the title, as not necessarily meaning "not good," like "drugs are not good for you" or "addiction is not good." I felt it meant "bad" in the sense of "severe," like "I miss you so bad" or I want to go so bad."
That meaning made sense to me because the emotions in the song are so severe, the suffering is so severe. The character's need for the drug is "bad." And because of it he or she is going through a "bad" time. Sometimes when you are in intense pain or are deeply distressed, you can only think in terms of simple vague terms. "How do you feel today?" You can't put that feeling into words. "Bad, man. Just bad."

Originally posted by new orleans:
My God Giant Lemon, why do you think
Bad is named Bad. Addiction do drugs especiall opiates is BAD. Real simple.

This is true, but I think the whole Bad=drugs thing is DEFINITELY plausible.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by new orleans:
My God Giant Lemon, why do you think
Bad is named Bad. Addiction do drugs especiall opiates is BAD. Real simple.

Well, obviously. But if you think about it almost all U2 songs are named after a line in the song, so it's interesting to think about why they chose to name this song Bad. The song is so complex, but the word is so simple- just an interesting contradiction.

The song is so complex, but the word is so simple- just an interesting contradiction.

That's good observation.
wink.gif
Most U2 songs are an irony too.

Bad = KITE

Think about it. Both of those songs are about "letting go of someone(something)you don't wanna let go of." They just take a different perspective on the subject.

Both songs have enormous passion in them and both of them have this sense of need. But Kite is portrayed as beauty. Whereas, "Bad" is seen through dirty/Dark colored glasses. Hence the name Bad. IMO

I think the title Bad refers to the whole idea of not being able to let go of something/someone that is hurting you. Its just a "bad" situation.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

"We're an Irish band, we come from Dublin City, Ireland. Like all cities it has it's good, and it had it's bad. This is a song called bag"

There's nothing wrong with being obvious. Is it so hard to deal with that the song could be about drugs, and Bono decided to call it Bad, because the whole thing made him feel bad?

Sometimes, things can be over-analyzed.

Bono also said something about a friend of theirs in Dublin who got addicted to heroin and died. This was in the Chicago '87 boot.

Yeah, I have a recording like that, dizzy...Bono says something about how the guy was given, on his twenty-first birthday, enough heroin into his bloodstream to kill him. It's really sad listening to that.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
"We're an Irish band, we come from Dublin City, Ireland. Like all cities it has it's good, and it had it's bad. This is a song called bag"

There's nothing wrong with being obvious. Is it so hard to deal with that the song could be about drugs, and Bono decided to call it Bad, because the whole thing made him feel bad?

Sometimes, things can be over-analyzed.

But I think its good to "over-analyze" sometimes, especially with this song because the lyrics are so frickin' universal and ambiguous. And yes maybe Bono wrote the song for a friend on heroin. But look at what it has become now through almost 20 years since it was written! It literally could be about letting go of anything that is "bad"! Even as simple as a girlfriend/boyfriend.

And the simplicity of the title is what makes this song unique because the meaning of the tune is so complicated and difficult to put a single finger on. You need lots of fingers on this one....33 fingers, I think.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Originally posted by tackleberry:
But I think its good to "over-analyze" sometimes,

So true. That's what I love about U2's songs. You can overanalyze them and yet not feel weird, not just because other fans are doing it too, but you get sooo many meanings from one single song. This is one of the things that made me realize that I have indeed, found my all-time favorite band.
wink.gif

Bono once said " life is full of good and bad, this is a song called bad" I dont' there is any singular reason the song is called bad...it's moe like the combination of a few things. It's a song about the dark side of life, having the will to give something up, but not the strength.

RufusYoungblood said:

they have a song called bag?? ;)

oh and new orleans, give us a break. we're wondering what the title of the song means. it's the whole reason this forum exists. if you don't want to partake in some healthy discussion as to the meaning of the song title, then please stay out of this part of the forum!

tackleberry said:
Bad = KITE

Think about it. Both of those songs are about "letting go of someone(something)you don't wanna let go of." They just take a different perspective on the subject.

Both songs have enormous passion in them and both of them have this sense of need. But Kite is portrayed as beauty. Whereas, "Bad" is seen through dirty/Dark colored glasses. Hence the name Bad. IMO

I think the title Bad refers to the whole idea of not being able to let go of something/someone that is hurting you. Its just a "bad" situation.

Maybe that's why Kite is my second favorite song after Bad :D

Before I heard/read that Bad was about drugs, I always thought it was about prejudism, and that prejudism was what was Bad. It really fit for me because of MLK and Pride.

I think this is probably U2's most deep title of a song as it most simply states what the singer is feeling.

A friend of Bono's died on his 21st birthday (see afore mentioned Chicago '87 boot) when someone gave him too much heroin i.e. overdose.

It is simply called Bad due to this.

Back
Top Bottom