Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gambit

Babyface
I would like to hear peoples opinion of this song (Please).
I think it's about Russia's ("your northern star") control over a nation. But whom?
I have never heard them talk about this one.
My favorite song is Bad, but I like this one very much. I just want to know what it's about. It seems to be full of meaning. Like most of his stuff.

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:
I've heard it's about the problems in northern Ireland.

Angela
Yeah it is.

Bono and Edge wrote it about the conflicts in their country and that people shall stop preaching love and peace and stuff there, but behind their backs there are car bombs going off and people still die (Please...get up off your knees..).

Definitely about "The Troubles," and I do believe they played it at almost every post-9/11 concert on Elevation. (They played it when I saw them in November last year.)

I have also assumed it's about the troubles in Ireland.

But the great thing about practically ANY U2 song is that it has so many meanings that any interpretation could be correct.

I've always loved Anton Corbijn's video for this song, I think it's one of the greatest U2 videos made. And I would recommend a watching of the video to discover that the song is truly universal. Like Pax said, they played it after 9/11. It can also be about personal relationships, it can be about a relationship with God, with the church, etc.

Please is one of those truly masterful U2 songs that express just about anything you want them to express.

~hippy

I thought it was about the troubles herre because the cover has Gerry Adams, David Trimble, and Ian Paisley and John Hume on the cover and wasnt it around the time of the peace talks?

It is about Northern Ireland. The cover of the single has the major players in the Ireland conflict on it. Also, I found it interesting that on the live Rotterdam version on the Please single, the bridge contains the drum part from Sunday Bloody Sunday. It kinda brings back the Ireland reference and adds a great intensity to the music!

Yes the drum beat is definitely there, I noticed it too... my second favorite song and it is all about Ireland... There really wasn't any other interpretation until 9/11, where the lyric starts in September. If you listen to the song in that light, it sounds like it was ripped from the headlines. Put Please and Peace on Earth together and you have the most weird set of foreshadowing songs of all time. I always considered U2 "before their time" but that is just ridiculous... like some Nostradamus prediction.

It is Sunday Bloody Sunday revisited, but more mature and even more desparate.

Last edited:
cujo said:
If you listen to the song in that light, it sounds like it was ripped from the headlines. Put Please and Peace on Earth together and you have the most weird set of foreshadowing songs of all time. I always considered U2 "before their time" but that is just ridiculous... like some Nostradamus prediction.

It is Sunday Bloody Sunday revisited, but more mature and even more desparate.

Oh yes, U2 being ahead of their time is so creepy, yet amazing.

I thought "Peace On Earth" was about the Omagh bombing....still Ireland-related though.

I really :heart: "Please", but I honestly want to know what the line, "Get up off your knees..." means. I know Bono always says it's a song for people who try to shrink God, etc., but does anyone have a clearer explanation of this?

Please is probably my favorite U2 song, if I had to pick just one.

I just love the lyrics. I know it was written primarily about Ireland, but what's said can easily be applied to any conflict or political turmoil around the world.

Great political song.

dizzy said:

I thought "Peace On Earth" was about the Omagh bombing....still Ireland-related though.

i do believe you're right about that.

I live in Northern Ireland Belfast, I was at the U2 concert in Botanic Gardens back in 1997.. when they sung please it was a very powerful message, the crowd there got the point.. not too sure about the politions though..I know I watched it on their greatest hits DVD and bono admitted he was shedding rl tears
I understand his frustration

I love this song and I especially love the 10-31-01 live version of this song bc the way Bono sings it is just amazing :yes:

and Its definately about the problems that face Northern Ireland. I mean my Gram who rarely listens to music thought that to when I asked her to listen to the song. btw she was born in Belfast in 1923 and had to leave in 1944 to America. We still have family over there so that is how I can relate to the song bc I am sick of getting phone calls saying another bomb has gone off and I am happy to havent been getting any calls in the last few years about that.*knock on wood*

jaanbeu2fan said:
I live in Northern Ireland Belfast, I was at the U2 concert in Botanic Gardens back in 1997.. when they sung please it was a very powerful message, the crowd there got the point.. not too sure about the politions though..I know I watched it on their greatest hits DVD and bono admitted he was shedding rl tears
I understand his frustration

Wow...

Geez, I can't imagine what it'd be like to live in terror day in and day out over there...my heart goes out to all of you who live in northern Ireland or have family and friends that live there.

Stay safe.

Angela

well its not so bad now glad to say, though I was only 5 years old when it all started now I am almost 40, but I realised that hating someone for having different ideals or of a different religous background is not the way to go unfortunatly too many think it is....and I think this is the biggest problem, overcoming old entrenched hatred and predjudices, which I think why Bono is actually pleading with the politians to lead the way when he is singing Please please get up of your knee's

dizzy said:

Oh yes, U2 being ahead of their time is so creepy, yet amazing.

I really :heart: "Please", but I honestly want to know what the line, "Get up off your knees..." means. I know Bono always says it's a song for people who try to shrink God, etc., but does anyone have a clearer explanation of this?

I have always understood that line as don't act "holier than thou" or act as if god is on your side.

"Please, get up off your knees
Please leave it out"
I usually hear, "leave god out of this"

I have always had trouble with this line too. I'd love to hear what other people have to say.

Yeah i've heard it's about the troubles in the north.

But run a search and see if you can find a thread I did about my PLEASE interpretation. The great thing about U2 songs is that you can take various meanings out of each song!

JTH

Please is one of U2's best songs...

and while I liked the Acoustic version just fine on the Elevation tour, I would like them to bring back the full band version... the guitar solo towards the end of the song was incredible.

as for "get up off your knees"... i really dont know what to make of it or how to interpret it...

I've always interpreted the "please, get up off your knees" lyric as a call away from organised religion. The troubles that exist between Protestants and Catholic in Ireland and between *some* Muslims and the rest of the world (as highlighted by the September 11 attacks), I suppose, stem from the way in which they worship god. (As fucked up as that sounds).
On more than one occasion I've heard or read Bono say that religion is the enemy of God.
I'm not an expert on religion, and I'm sure this is a naive point of view, but to me religions all seem to be based on the idea of bringing good to the world in some way or another. So much trouble seems to come from the little differences.
The "get up off your knees" line, to me, is a call away from the rules and traditions of various religions which probably seem very petty as they may be what cause people to lose sight of the bigger picture. God is interested in peoples' souls and what they do with them, not the clothes they wear, how many times a day they pray or whether or not they sit on their asses in church every Sunday.

Consider this excerpt from Bono's interview on Larry King:

KING: We're back with Bono.

You mentioned being Christian, and...

BONO: Trying to be.

KING: ... trying to be. Are you -- do you like organized religion? Are you a Catholic? Do you go to mass?

BONO: Who in Ireland could have too much respect for organized religion? We've seen it tear our country in two. My mother was a Protestant. My father was a Catholic. And I learned that religion is often the enemy of God, actually.

And religion is this sort of -- religion is the artifice, you know, the building, after God has left it sometimes, like Elvis has left the building. You hold onto religion, you know, rules, regulations, traditions. I think what God is interested in is people's hearts, and that's hard enough.

KING: So, especially in Ireland, you've seen it fail.

BONO: Yes, yes. And now, we're watching it around the world. We're watching what religion can do. And you know, I think it's anathema, and see -- religion takes ideas. Religion often reduces the size of God. God is so big. It's a gigantic concept in God. The idea that God might love us and be interested in us is kind of huge and gigantic, but we turn it, because we're small-minded, into this tiny, petty, often greedy version of God, that is religion.

KING: And so, we raise money in his name and go to war in his name.

BONO: Yes.

KING: If there is a God, he must be angry at a lot of this.

BONO: I think God is very angry at the moment, and I think there is -- I think it's shocking what is going on in the world. And I think it is an extraordinary moment.

this song is very complicated... it?s about a lot of things... this is my interpretation, sorry for the bad english...

"so you never knew love until you cross the line of grace
and you never felt wanted until you?d someone slap your face
you never felt alive until you?d almost waste your way"

for me, it?s about stereotypes... specially the first lines... the other two are about trying to live on high even if we are supressed by these laws, the stereotypes, we all have to hide ourselves behind a mask

"you have to win you couldnt just pass, the smartest ass at the top of the class... your flying colours, your family tree, and all your lessons in history"

is it describing a politician?

"Please get up off your knees"
Really don?t know... it?s like be yourself... don?t surrender... live your face and face the problems of the world...

"you never knew what was on the ground until they made your crawl
you never knew that the heaven you keep you stole"

he?s saying the world is in shadows, we all are puppets and live in a theater... we build our heaven with money... but it?s stolen

"catholic blues, convent shoes, stick on tatoos making the news
holy war, northern star, sermoun of the mountain from the boot of your car"

OK, this is the part for the Irish conflict. It?s very explicit.

"So love is hard and love is tough... but love is not what you?re thinking of..."

We all try to find the love... but this actually this love is fake... we can?t fill our hearts with true love, so we fill with this fake one, which is all we got, until we find the true one... but the true love will never come... cos everybody needs to be beautiful and look like hollywood people, etc... this love of the films... it?s rare

"september streets capsing speeling over down the drain
glass, you could only feel your pain
october talking getting nowhere, november december
remember, are we just starting again"

this is about trying to sufocate conflicts only talking... but we can?t stop fighting... we drown in a fake earth

"SO LOVE IS BIG, IS BIGGER THAN US BUT LOVE IS NOT WHAT YOU?RE THINKING OF..."

"IT?S WHAT LOVE DEAL
IT?S WHAT LOVERS FEEL
YOU KNOW I FIND IT HARD TO RECEIVE
COS YOU MY LOVE, I COULD NEVER BELIEVE"

yeah love is hard to receive and it?s fake, just like the world we live in

Please is about love and war

Back
Top Bottom